Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
book_werm
0 Kudos

Re: I think I want to trade my Nook for a Kindle

EagleEyez wrote:

I've heard that, if you softroot your nook, you can not only get your rss feeds directly on your nook over wifi, but also transfer books from your PC running caliber server.

I've been sitting on the fence of softroot for a while now. Making sure my buttons dont crack before voiding my warranty.

[edit: oops. The comment sounds out of context. Was trying to reply to earlier comment regarding getting rss feeds in caliber and then transfer to nook]

AFAIK, soft rooting a nook does not void your warranty.  I haven't soft rooted yet, but from what I read on nookdev, when you soft root, you just need to keep a copy of the latest BN version. If for some reason you soft rooted the nook and then needed to send the device back, you could just reinstall the BN software.  (meaning, if you plan to soft root to v1.3, keep a backup copy of the official BN 1.3 release; then, you can reinstall it in the future).

Correspondent
EastCoastBird

These kind of threads can be amusing and annoying all at the same time...

Here's how I handle buying decisions:  No matter how long it takes, DO NOT BUY something UNLESS and UNTIL you have done all the research necessary about what you're thinking of buying and its competition.  There are always trade-offs between the items so that you just have to decide what feature or suite of features you can or cannot live without (replaceable battery?  expandable memory?  touchscreen or physical keyboard?  DRM hassles?  format flexibility?  price of e-books?).  Resist the urge to be an early adopter if you're the impatient kind that expects perfection right out of the starting gate.  Get everything settled in your mind just exactly what you want out of the thing.  Go to a store and try the thing out.  Go back two or three times.  Oops, you can't do that with a Kindle (go find somebody who has one).

And, finally, if something costs 3-digits, (1)  No impulse buying!  (2)  Buy an accident insurance/warranty policy!

Do the above and you probably won't be running to a message board announcing to everyone that you think you want to trade your NOOK for a Kindle or your Chevy for a Ford.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

I'm finding it amusing (yes, it happens easily) that this thread has been resurrected right after we have welcomed several new nook owners that also own Kindles...

Correspondent
EastCoastBird
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy:

Contributor
bookworm43
0 Kudos

i have had my nook since jan 4 and never got it register  so i downloaded my ebook from the computer to the nook and started readed my first book.my nook was working at that time,since then i had put my nook aside and decided to wait to get it register well 4months later i got my nook out again and now it just frezzes and i have never even got to use it i have read all the blog having the same problem and how they fixed there well i have try everything and still cant get it to work my heart is so broken over this i dont know what to do? do i take it to a barnes and noble store and see if they can help me or  do i try and see i it is still cover under warranty? can some give me some advice !

New User
chloe11
0 Kudos

You can either call the bn customer service for nook and have them trouble shoot which if it can't be resurrected they will ship you out a new one. Or you can take it into a store and if they can't fix it they will give you a new one. I prefer to go to the store just because it is faster. 

Correspondent
LadyTessie
0 Kudos

@ bookworm 43 - I think first you should be sure that the battery is fully charged and that you have version 1.3. You can check these items in Settings. Personally I'd go to a store in hopes of instant gratification and perhaps a quickie hands on tutorial from a BN staffer.

Reader 4
I_B_Jammin
0 Kudos

@ jrusch:Thank you for reinforcing me decision to go with the NOOK!

Frequent Contributor
AkilahR
0 Kudos

jrusch wrote:

Help!?!

No. Bye.