Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
PAR1977
0 Kudos

I was very happy with my Nook until...

I'm in the military and have been living overseas for over 5 years now.  I was in the US for a month for pre-deployment training and decided to buy a Nook.  I'd been looking at Nook and Kindle for about a month, but, since I knew I was going to the US soon, I didn't try to order one over the internet.  Sometimes I have to get electronics sent to my parents to have them forwarded to me since some items can't be shipped directly to a military overseas address (APO/FPO), so I had been holding out on ordering an e-reader because I didn't want to go through that hassle.  After reading what many people said about each e-reader, I decided on the Nook.  So, the 2nd night I was in the US I went to Best Buy and bought one.  My wife was with me for that part of the trip, and we liked it so much that she went and bought one, too.  It's so convenient, especially for someone who travels frequently.  I spend more than 50% of my time away from home, and this was going to be so much easier than lugging around books all the time.

First problem...I went to buy an eBook from my hotel room in the US and was told I couldn't because my address was foreign (US military APO, mind you).  So, I changed the address on my credit card to my parents' address and tried again.  This worked out just fine.  Ok, this won't be so bad...or so I thought!

Now the real problem!  Over a month later, I'm back home (overseas).  I try to order an eBook using the same credit card and my parents' address.  However, now that I'm accessing the website from a foreign IP address, I'm told the order can't go through.  So, even though B&N advertises on the Nook that it "connects via any wi-fi network" or that you can get "wi-fi anywhere", what they REALLY mean to say is ANY WI-FI NETWORK IN THE US OR CANADA.  I thought I was pretty thorough in my look into the Nook, but apparently I missed the fine print that says this.  Even more frustrating is the fact that I'm now past the 14-day return period for BOTH mine and my wife's (and the cases we bought for them).

Kindle doesn't have this problem!

My next planned trip to the US won't be until sometime in 2012.  I went to the month of pre-deployment training because I have a year-long deployment soon.  Thanks B&N!  (that's sarcasm, by the way).  I don't know who the legal advisor was that said you can't sell books to US military stationed overseas, but it seems like a company as large as you would be able to figure out a way to make that happen...especially since Kindle doesn't have this same problem.  I admit that I'm not informed on the particular law that's being followed here, but it seems like there must be some legitimate way for someone like me to gain access to eBooks that you sell.

Yes, I know about Project Gutenberg and the free eBooks that are available on the web.  I have downloaded several of those books and will most likely continue using my Nook to read them...but only because I would otherwise have a $150 paperweight (not to mention my wife's matching $150 paperweight).  But, that's not the point.  There are current titles that we are both interested in, that B&N so graciously provides, that we can't get access to.

I'm sure nobody cares much, I'm just extremely frustrated.  If this isn't fixed soon (which I'm assuming it won't be), my wife and I will switch to Kindle.  We'll also help make sure that everyone we know doesn't run into this same problem.  Again, I'm sure nobody cares.

Thank you.

New User
Chaseinit
0 Kudos

Re: I was very happy with my Nook until...

Good Morning,

I just read your post and thought to ask have both you and your wife considered selling your Nook's on EBay ???  I recently purchased a Nook and Love it, I;m sure if you both were a little more local you would agree but I thought that ebay would be a solution for the two of you.

Just Sharing

Correspondent
meg820
0 Kudos

There are ways around buying books overseas. I'm in Germany and have my mom purchase books for me after I've put them on my wishlist. It's my credit card and everything with her home address. You could possibly give that a try. There's also the use of a VPN which can put your ISP as a US address which would allow you to purchase it.

I know it's frustrating not being able to buy books overseas especially because you are from the US and B&N is a US company. However there are so many rules and laws that come into play when it comes to selling overseas.

I wouldn't give up on the nook just yet. Like you I did my research and decided the nook was the best buy and that's even knowing I wouldn't be able to buy books here in Germany. My suggestion would be to try those two options I described and see how it works. I know it complicates it a bit more, but really I think you have one of the better products on the market.

Meghan

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

I have sent you an PM.

New User
chryslynn
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have the same problem but my husband and I are currently stationed in South Korea. We went home on leave to visit family and bought a nook. Now I can't use it here in Korea. But I saw that someone had mentioned a couple of ways to get around that. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get to those sites that show a U.S. IP address so I could try downloading my books through that? I would greatly appreciate it. Also, my husband did the research and showed me everything he could find, while yes the kindle will work outside the U.S. the nook is still a far better purchase than the kindle. If they would only fix that one problem it would be the absolute best e-reader on the market.

I hope everything works out for you in the end.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

@chryslynn, I have sent you an PM.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

chryslynn wrote:

yes the kindle will work outside the U.S. the nook is still a far better purchase than the kindle. If they would only fix that one problem it would be the absolute best e-reader on the market.

Officially e-books from US publishers may not be sold outside the US. Amazon is the only bookstore that has succeeded in making some kind of deal with the publishers to allow this.

As geo-restrictions have become even more strict with the introduction of the agency model, I do not think publishers will allow any other bookstore to do this.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

I don't think the agency model has anything to do with it.  The "problem" is that each country has its own publishers that have the rights to publish books in that country, and B&N would have to negotiate with each publisher in each country for the right to sell such works.

Just as a DTB example off the top of my head, the Harry Potter books are published by Scholastic in the US, but by Bloomsbury in the UK.  If JK Rowling ever decided to allow the HP books to be published as e-books (which she has not, to date), B&N would have to enter into separate distribution agreements with Scholastic for US sales and Bloomsbury for UK sales.  Not to mention whoever publishes HP in whichever of the 200+ other countries you might reside in.  

Amazon has a leg up here, because they already operated in multiple countries prior to the release of the Kindle, so they had prior relationships with many of these non-US publishers.  And even then, it took almost 2 years for Amazon to negotiate all the contracts to allow them to come out with their "international" edition.  Even with the release of the nook, B&N is a US-only store, so they need to start from scratch in negotiating this stuff.  

gobasso
0 Kudos

PAR 1977, I understand your frustration with B&N. You also seem to be a savvy user since you know about Gutenberg and other free books. I don't mean to insult your intelligence but might I suggest borrowing e-books from a public library? I don't know if the US military or USO have a library site with downloadable books but it's worth checking out. Just a suggestion and my heartfelt thanks for defending our nation.

Inspired Contributor
bermygirlJS
0 Kudos

Hi PAR1977,

In addition to signing in with a VPN to get a US IP address, there's another way you can get BN books.  I live in Bermuda, and in order to order books I have my mom sign into my account in the states and order books, then they can be loaded onto my nook via Wifi.  I know it's not the best solution to the situation, however you will not end up with a paperweight.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@PAR1977,

At this time, NOOK is only available for shipping to the US. We understand the interest for our customers outside of the US and are working to bring NOOK to everyone.

When you travel abroad, you can read any files that are already on your NOOK. You can connect to Wi-Fi hotspots that do not use proxy security settings, such as those commonly used in hotels, and download eBooks and subscriptions already in your online digital Library.

You cannot, however, purchase additional eBooks and subscriptions outside of the U.S.

The NOOK can be used to read ebooks purchased through other sites as long as the format is either PDB, PDF, secured PDF, or ePub.  Additionally, titles can be downloaded and transferred to NOOK via the supplied USB cable.

What I do want to point out also with these facts (although some you are already aware of) is that when you connect via WiFi overseas or via an APO address you still will receive any new subscriptions.

Correspondent
scjohanson5
0 Kudos

Since you are in the military, have you tried Army Knowledge online or Navy Knowledge online. They use the overdrive library and have lots of books to check out free for two to three weeks.  I just checked out the new book "Fall of Giants" last night.  My husband is retired navy and I use this service all the time.  If you have problem finding it on the website, I'll be glad to help/

Frequent Contributor
Brucester
0 Kudos

PM with very simple solution sent. Not posted here because I KNOW Micheal would remove one of the links.

Personally - I find BN's disregard of military APO/FPO's to be callous and ridiculous.

Good luck and thanks for your service.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

@PAR1977: While I feel for your frustrations, it seems like you're a pretty smart guy who did his research before making this purchasing decision. The fact that you would be unable to purchase new content while overseas should have been apparent from the NOOK FAQ and some searches here.

The topic of international rights and the inability to purchase new content for your NOOK while outside the U.S. has been discussed numerous times on these boards.

It also is pretty clear from the FAQ for the nook here that while abroad "You cannot...purchase additional eBooks and subscriptions." http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/?bnit=H&cds2Pid=30195#traveling-with-your-nook

Believe it or not you have a special, if not uncommon situation; however, the frustration could have been avoided if you had done some thorough research since this ability seems to be a make-or-break factor for you.

As others have pointed out, you have several workaround options available to you. In the extreme, you can always sell your NOOK and purchase an eReader that does meet your special requirements. (And, yes, being able to make purchases anywhere in the world while overseas is a "special requirement.")

Good luck in resolving your issues.

Frequent Contributor
Brucester
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

As others have pointed out, you have several workaround options available to you. In the extreme, you can always sell your NOOK and purchase an eReader that does meet your special requirements. (And, yes, being able to make purchases anywhere in the world while overseas is a "special requirement.")

Good luck in resolving your issues.

Selling ones nook because of BN's intransigence (how can they NOT recognize military IP's!) is a ridiculous "solution" to a problem that just shouldn't exist. I sent this soldier links to an add-on for Firefox that will quickly resolve his IP problem. Anyone else residing overseas on TDY or other reasons can feel free to PM me and I'l provide the how-to link if they wish. Or just search the Firefox Add-On page for the Modify Headers add-on. Bingo - problem resolved.

MegSLP
0 Kudos

Selling ones nook because of BN's intransigence (how can they NOT recognize military IP's!) is a ridiculous "solution" to a problem that just shouldn't exist. I sent this soldier links to an add-on for Firefox that will quickly resolve his IP problem. Anyone else residing overseas on TDY or other reasons can feel free to PM me and I'l provide the how-to link if they wish. Or just search the Firefox Add-On page for the Modify Headers add-on. Bingo - problem resolved.

He has been overseas for 5 years.  He is probably in Germany.  Most posts in Germany do not have on post housing unless you are a single soldier under E-5 in which you are living in the barracks.  He is married.  He is probably living in an apartment in Germany so he doesn't have a military IP.  His internet is civilian internet that would show a German IP address. 

OP: Sucks for you but there are ways to work around the IP address limitations.  We had also arranged with my mom to purchase any of the books that I put on my wish list (I would email her to let her know to log-in).  My credit card info was saved so it was no more than a 1-2 minute inconvenience for her.  Luckily, we never got stationed overseas (we turned Korea down twice) so we mainly go overseas for vacations and to visit friends over there.

Contributor
PAR1977
0 Kudos

I'm sorry for getting people on both sides of the issue spun up.  Thanks for all the responses.  I've been presented with a variety of solutions.

I asked B&N to delete this threat because it's not apparent to me how to do that.  I've never posted anything on a Blog before.

Thanks again.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

PAR1977 wrote:

I'm sorry for getting people on both sides of the issue spun up.  Thanks for all the responses.  I've been presented with a variety of solutions.

I asked B&N to delete this threat because it's not apparent to me how to do that.  I've never posted anything on a Blog before.

Thanks again.

PAR1977 - Don't worry about, people here like to get "spun up".:smileyhappy:  I am sorry you're frustrated.  Keep in mind that the Kindle was out for several years and they only recently introduced an international model.  Amazon is a large company who has an international presence, and it took them a couple of years to get the international sales in place. B&N is not an international company, which means they have to negotiate everything from scratch.  I would assume if they could easily sell to service men and women, regardless of where they are stationed, they would, so there have to be some type of legal issues blocking them at this point.

In any event, I hope the workarounds work for you and they are able to enjoy your Nook.  I would definitely recommend the library option, as I find it a great feature.

Good luck to you and thank you for your service, it is greatly appreciated.

Correspondent
Grammaknits02

PAR1977--

Please do come back and let us know if one of the solutions works for you.  We have heard from others who have had the same issue, but haven't heard back if the solutions have worked from them and I would just be interested to know.

Thank you so much for your service to our country!!  It is because of people like you that we here in America can sleep at night knowing we are safe!!  God Bless and stay safe!!!

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
Frequent Contributor
KD67
0 Kudos

Simple fix man, get a yahoo or hotmail email address and a CC# with a state side address, buy your book from your computer not your nook, when you get the email from B&N you can just download it to your computer and then load it to your nook from the PC.  My sister in law does this when she is stationed in another country.  You can also buy it from your phone, if you have worldphone like a blackberry.