Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
Hasdrupal
0 Kudos

Re: Idea for next software update on the Nook

[ Edited ]

The ability to have RSS feeds sent directly to your NOOk via the registered email address on your NOOK/BN account would be great, and have those RSS feeds show up in the Daily section.Being able to sort your books by genre on the NOOK would be great as well.

oh,and this:

• Amazon has this feature where you can go to their website, find a book, and if it isn't on the kindle, you can press a button to request the publisher to release it for the kindle. Similar thing for the nook would be nice.
  • Frequent Contributor
    Gus97
    0 Kudos

Lots of people have complained about the look up word feature. I agree, and would like to point out that highlighting words and taking notes uses a similar arrow interface as the look up word feature does, so when you change the dictionary feature, be sure to apply the changes to the taking notes feature too.

Also, you can't archive samples from the nook, which I wish is something possible in the next version.

"If inspiration doesn't knock, build a door." -Milton Berle
    Reader 2
    the_write_stuff
    0 Kudos

Some really great suggestions here.. I hope they're taken into consideration!

Something I've noticed - the nook's time zone settings don't seem to appropriately handle Daylight Savings. I have my nook set to Eastern time, but it's an hour behind where it should be.

New User
    KingGeedorah

I hope that in one of the next coming updates we will have the ability to organize the books by category.

It’s nice to have the books purchased from the book store as being listed as NEW when we first get them but I have a lot of books on my nook now and it is a pain to search through them.

I also would like to see this feature available for not just B&N titles, but also ones that are side-loaded onto the Nook.  

Here is an example of what I mean.

This would be really helpful for lots of people.  I have about 65 titles that I have side loaded onto my Nook.  It is only a matter of time before we will all need a better way to organize these titles.  

Frequent Contributor
    bookbug127
    0 Kudos

Adding a zoom feature to pdf's would be great. Some text is very hard to read at what would be 100%.

Also the ability to make font sizes even larger in the regular books would be good. I was showing my nook to some low vision teachers and even extra large isn't quite big enough for a lot of low vision readers.

Also having one place on your website to request e-books would be nice. I'm reading a series that has 1-3 and books 5-7 in e-book format, but no book 4. I'd like to tell someone about it, but I'm unsure as to where to do that.

Inspired Bibliophile
    LarryOnLI
    0 Kudos

bookbug127 wrote:

Adding a zoom feature to pdf's would be great. Some text is very hard to read at what would be 100%.

Also the ability to make font sizes even larger in the regular books would be good. I was showing my nook to some low vision teachers and even extra large isn't quite big enough for a lot of low vision readers.

Also having one place on your website to request e-books would be nice. I'm reading a series that has 1-3 and books 5-7 in e-book format, but no book 4. I'd like to tell someone about it, but I'm unsure as to where to do that.

A Pan and Zoom function would be a great enhancement not only for PDF files, but also for images in eBooks such as maps that are frequently too small to read on the nooks screen.

New User
    Tuan88
    0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

WOW, next update! I hope they will add some or all of these to Nook.

1. The Searching Dictionary

(I have problem with my PDF files that I transferred from the computer. I can search words on PDF but no dictionary lookup.)

3. Text to Speech

2, The Browser

3. Support non Western fonts in Epub files. ( Epub can't read Vietnamese)

4. Go to pages and links option ( I created a PDF that has hyperlinks to other bookmarks, but Nook can't go to those links.

5. Change orientation view ( The portrait view makes some pages small and sometime can't resize the font, I hope the new landscape view will make the page's font bigger and resizable.

6. Word of the day on The Daily

7. Ability to download free ebooks without setup credit card on account. I don't have credit card.

Thank you for reading my suggestions.:smileyhappy:

Reader 2
    Dobby46
    0 Kudos

I strongly second the idea of more font size options!!  The Kindle (boo hiss) has six options and that would really help.  Some books that I've purchased come in such a small font that even the extra large is marginal and hard to read.

Thanks!!

Contributor
    TripUponTheGreen
    0 Kudos

I would like to see some definite software updates to the audio player. Even though I've organized the music into author/album folders everything is mashed into one playlist which is either played alphabetically or in shuffle mode. I know it's not a primary mp3 player, but I do like to listen to music while reading and I don't like multiple devices. It's a real problem to simply pause the player, especially for an audiobook. I have to wake up the nook, browse to the audioplayer and then pause it. It would be nice if the extenal buttons could be mapped to the audioplayer too so you can manipulate the audio files without having to wake up the nook.

Agreement on a better way to organize many books, especially those within a series. I often sideload books and use e-calibre to update the metadata. But the series info isn't captured on the nook and I have the darnest time trying to figure out which book I should be reading next. Very frustrating.

Reader 2
    rick242
    0 Kudos

I agree that the mp3 player needs to be updated - songs should be in an album list. I also use e-calibre and add the series number or year published in parentheses at the end of the title. I find that this helps to read books in order of publishing.

Contributor
    AClarion
    0 Kudos

Another idea. How about allowing you to "Go To" a page. This would be extremely helpful. Instead of going to a chapter and having to scroll through possibly hundreds of pages to get to the page I want you could just type the page number in and go directly to that page. This would be helpful for when I am using a book for school research.

New User
    LadyJ_1
    0 Kudos

I have really enjoyed my Nook. I read alot at night and would love to see a backlight added like when I used my Iphone to e read before purchasing the Nook. I have purchased the Nook booklight but it is still not the same. I think the will be a great added feature. I have had several friends purchase the Nook after the great recommendations I gave them concerning the Nook and they all agree this would be a great added feature to be able to read in the dark.

Inspired Correspondent
    Phigment
    0 Kudos

LadyJ_1 wrote:

I have really enjoyed my Nook. I read alot at night and would love to see a backlight added like when I used my Iphone to e read before purchasing the Nook. I have purchased the Nook booklight but it is still not the same. I think the will be a great added feature. I have had several friends purchase the Nook after the great recommendations I gave them concerning the Nook and they all agree this would be a great added feature to be able to read in the dark.

Unfortunatly, the Nook as well as the Kindle and the Sony ereaders all use eInk technology, which means in a nutshell,  you can't shine a light through them. So...technically your wish would be more of a harware change, which if it was possible would require the brand new purchase of a new ereader.  So unfortunatly your stuck, your going to need to stick with the clip on book light. Until someone develops a whole new category of eInk displays (and I'm not saying there not someting out there in process even as I type) you and I and everyone else will have to make do with book lights.

Nallia
    Topics: 125
    Kudos: 3,236
    0 Kudos

LadyJ_1 wrote:

It is not supposed to have a backlight.  The whole point of the eReader is the e-Ink technology, which is passively lit to resemble an actual paper book in order to prevent the eye strain a back-lit screen causes.

New User
    bookwormMO
    0 Kudos

1) fix "My Documents" -- after last software download "My docs" disappeared on my nook and automatically shuts down to home menu without recognizing any of My Docs which are still loaded on my computer version. These are all prev. downloaded pdf files.

2) Larger font options

3) "Go to" option to search for page numbers or keywords

4) "Sort" or "Folders" option to both categorize books (by series or "classics", etc) and to more easily view by Alphabetical, Unread books, etc.

5) Minor point -- I agree that it would be great to CORRECT ERRORS in e-books that are numerous.

Thanks so much for considering our input!

Distinguished Wordsmith
    DiAnneInDover
    0 Kudos

My biggest hope for the new software update would be giving me the capability to switch the "previous" and "next" page buttons. 

Since it is far more comfortable to hold the Nook with my hand around the lower right side of the nook, that automatically places my thumb on the "previous page" button...which is hardly used, of course.  In order to have my thumb hovering over the "next page" button, i have to have the corner of the Nook wedged into the palm of my hand which is not comfortable.  Unfortuantely, the buttons are identical on the other side, so I can't even just switch hands. 

From what I hear, if I root the Nook, I can indeed change these.  But I don't want to root it, I just want it to be fixed with an "official" update rather than take the chance to screw it up on my own. 

New User
    Blindrage
    0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There are a couple of these features that I really do not understand why they were not in the original design. The biggest one is purchase and sort on the Nook by genre. Most poeple that read for personal enjoyment walk into a book store and head for a specific section of the store. I may pass by the front were they display all the newest books in every genre, but I head to my specific area. For some it is romance, Sci-Fi, Mystery, or history.

I just do not understand how they spent years developing the main stores and noticing that every book store in the world is set up this way, and then to turn around and design the digitial store and the reader itself without that in mind. It is actually one of the things I am waiting for to buy an EReader. I want it to be useful for how I read books without having to root it and break all the warranties.

Inspired Bibliophile
    LarryOnLI
    0 Kudos

Blindrage wrote:

There are a couple of these features that I really do not understand why they were not in the original design. The biggest one is purchase and sort on the Nook by genre. Most poeple that read for personal enjoyment walk into a book store and head for a specific section of the store. I may pass by the front were they display all the newest books in every genre, but I head to my specific area. For some it is romance, Sci-Fi, Mystery, or history.

I just do not understand how they spent years developing the main stores and noticing that every book store in the world is set up this way, and then to turn around and design the digitial store and the reader itself without that in mind. It is actually one of the things I am waiting for to buy an EReader. I want it to be useful for how I read books without having to root it and break all the warranties.

This has nothing to do with the nook itself.

The store is hosted on B&N servers and they can make changes to it based upon suggestions as the product matures.

Doug_Pardee
    Kudos: 4,013
    0 Kudos

Blindrage wrote:

The biggest one is purchase and sort on the Nook by genre.

You can browse B&N by genre. Touch the "Browse Subjects" entry in the menu and work your way down the subject tree until you find what you're looking for.

Contributor
    Cobbieg
    0 Kudos

Do you think the freezing issue will be solved in the next update? I have owned my new nook less than one week and it has frozen twice. Just now I tried the 20 sec hold button and press again. It didn't work. So it's on the charger. I'm in a very good part of my book and I'm having to charge it to see if that works. BTW I just charged it yesterday so I don't think it's below 20%. Ughhh I had purchased the iPad after saving my money thinking it would be a GREAT ereader. All the girls in my book club have the kindle. I thought the iPad would be so much better. Well after three days of playing with it my eyes were going to pop out of their sockets. So now I was convinced. I LOVE my iPad I just don't love it for an ereader. I also love books. I love to read them. I love the smell of them. However when I see books on my shelf I get sad at all the paper used. I use the library often. If I purchase a book I donate it to the library when I'm done. I can return my nook and continue using the library as I have spent a lot of money with my iPad and nook and cases for them both. I'm shocked at all the posts about frozen nooks. Had I known before my purchase, I might have just ordered the kindle.