Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
gulfbreezey
0 Kudos

Re: If you DIDN'T already have a NOOK, would you get a NOOKcolor?

This is an interesting concept - having two Nooks. I too, like others, am concerned about the backlighting on my eyes buy have found that several books, especially those with (color) photos don't do well on the Nook.  I wonder if they will do better on the NookColor. ... and being able to get a broader selection of magazines and USA Today entices me.

What to do, what to do ...I love my current Nook and have lots of FictionWise books which I understand are not compatible.  When travelling I don't want to carry two Nooks ... and I wonder about keeping them synched.

Frequent Contributor
Jamie19
0 Kudos

Re: If you DIDN'T already have a NOOK, would you get a Nicolle?

I have the original nook right now and I love it. There is a couple things I would change on it but I don;t know if it;s worth the money to but another nook with more than one things that I don't need.

I'm up and down deciding if I want to get the nook color for many reasons. One of the reasons is that whenever I stare at the computer for a long time my eyes get dry and I get tired. Personally I don't like getting tired when I read my books because most the books I get are really good and I don't want to stop reading them.

I have also read all the post people put up and I'm getting basically the same answer everytime I read different ones. I have also read the information on the bn website and that info is all there.

So I'm stuck on deciding but I will probably stick with my original good ole nookie.:smileyhappy:

New User
deniDP

I read a great deal and I would just stay with my Nook.The screen and the interactive quality appeal to me on the NookColor but my books are still in black ink, admittedly eink. I think the color would be better if I w anted to read graphic novels more and magazines,and I am more of a book reader. I also feel the more color the more memory it needs,a nd I don' t like not having 3G included and I don't like the non-removable battery,b ut  I am envious of the crossword and the screen....

Reader 2
jen3
0 Kudos

I currently do not have a nook and was planning on getting one for Christmas. I love the Nook Color and can not wait till it comes out. I hope they have a working demo in the store as soon as it comes out because I usually do not buy before I try. I am curious about how battery replacement will work out and I hope that it is not like the Kindle where you have to send it in and they send you a different one back. I love how they have incorporated interactive children's books and I hope they are not way overpriced. Can't wait!

Frequent Contributor
luminessence
0 Kudos

Nope, I'd still buy the original Nook. I don't like reading on backlit screens; that's the main thing that keeps me from being interested in the NOOKcolor. I also don't really need any of the extra things it does; I don't read magazines or kids' books, and don't need my Nook to do anything but read. (But if the screen weren't backlit, I would still be very tempted!)

Inspired Contributor
Katie_798
0 Kudos

As a teenage girl that has had her nook for about a year now, I was definitely drawn to the nookcolor. It's stylish, colorful, and has a touchscreen. But the reason I got my nook was to READ, not to play on facebook. I'll be waiting for a color e-ink screen or the nook 2 before I get a new ereader.

However, if the nookcolor had a nookstudy app I would be much more tempted. But as it is, I'll stick to the classic nook!

Contributor
MaverickNY
0 Kudos

I'd get a nook.  I have sleep issues and an LCD screen before bed (when I do like to read) is a big no-no for me.  I think the nookcolor is a great idea, but my smartphone is all I need.  It's nice to have options though; needs vary depending on the person.  Personally, if I did want a backlit option, I'd get a netbook, ipad or even a small laptop.

New User
bibiMN
0 Kudos

The specs for the ColorNook list PDB file compatability.

New User
bibiMN
0 Kudos

I have an IPAQ (yes, from 6 years ago) and use it mostly for reading ebooks.  I love that I can have an extra charged battery, it is LCD and have used it mostly for night reading and I do not notice eye strain. I am 59.  I am looking at getting the NookColor as ...how much longer can this IPAQ last....and we travel so I would love access to magazines.  Paper subscriptions are a waste for us now.  I am worried about the increased weight mostly.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

bibiMN wrote:

The specs for the ColorNook list PDB file compatability.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/features/techspecs/index.asp?cds2Pid=35607

.pdb is not supported.  .pdf is.

Frequent Contributor
JustTrish
0 Kudos

No, I feel it would be a better investment to buy either the iPad or any of the new smaller tablets such as the ones from Samsung or RIM Blackberrry.  I could still have all the functionality of the nook, with the options of many more apps, including Amazon's Kindle.

The nookColor is far too limited and without 3G capabilities, it's useless as far as I'm concerned.

Contributor
PKARP
0 Kudos

No, I'd still purchase the NOOK based on my primary usage of the device.  Though I can see the draw for others.

Inspired Contributor
ilenekm
0 Kudos

Last month, I flew to Tokyo on business and then took a vacation to Puerto Rico. I loved readng my nook on the long plane ride and on the beach. So n o nook color for me
Frequent Contributor
JulieBulie
0 Kudos

I think it comes down to what you read.  The nook color will certainly be much better for magazines and newspapers but I don't read those.  I read books.  I also have no interest in children's books.  I like some of the expanded internet options on the nook color but because it doesn't offer 3G and I don't have access to wireless at work, I wouldn't be able to use them or even purchase a book, for that matter.  I have 3G on my nook so it's really a better fit.  I also like that I can change my own battery, and the original nook has much longer battery life.  I'm sure at some point I will look into the tablets but for now, I'm pretty happy with the nook READER I have.  I'm especially looking forward to the upcoming software upgrade and the ability to better organize my books.  

Julie

Frequent Contributor
DBDigital
0 Kudos

battyjac wrote:

I've only had my nook a little over a week. I suppose I could return it and get the nookcolor but I don't want to read on a backlit display. I adore my nook. I can read on it for hours, I can't read on my laptop for long at all.  I like aspects of the nookcolor. I don't have a dataplan on my phone and hate lugging the laptop around so I use the browser on the Nook in places with free wifi.  If money were no object I would love a Nookcolor for running around and the Nook wifi for at-home reading sessions. But I can't afford 2 so I'll stick with the one I can immerse myself in reading with.

I also love my nook "Classic".  I also have the 3g.  Nook Color does not have 3g.  It also does not have a user replaceable battery (from all I have read here so far).  Nook color does not offer me anything more than what I bought my original nook for...reading.  However that being said, using it as a PDA is certainly a possible.  I have a old Apple Newton that works wonderfully and no complaints but of course they stopped making them in 1998, and some day I might have to replace it.  If I ever get to that point, then a nook color looks like a good replacement *if* I can find the apps I need on it.  I see there is going to be a "nook developer" for the nook color, so this means that "in time" it may get to the point of being my next PDA.  But not in the near future. :smileywink:  Regardless it does look promising. :smileyhappy:

By the way, someone said that they have a lot of Fictionwise books that would work on the Nook Color.  Actually it should be the same.  If it works on the Nook it should work on Nook Color.  Same formats are supported (and some added such as .doc etc).

-DB

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

It doesn't support pdb files.

DBDigital wrote:

battyjac wrote:

I've only had my nook a little over a week. I suppose I could return it and get the nookcolor but I don't want to read on a backlit display. I adore my nook. I can read on it for hours, I can't read on my laptop for long at all.  I like aspects of the nookcolor. I don't have a dataplan on my phone and hate lugging the laptop around so I use the browser on the Nook in places with free wifi.  If money were no object I would love a Nookcolor for running around and the Nook wifi for at-home reading sessions. But I can't afford 2 so I'll stick with the one I can immerse myself in reading with.

I also love my nook "Classic".  I also have the 3g.  Nook Color does not have 3g.  It also does not have a user replaceable battery (from all I have read here so far).  Nook color does not offer me anything more than what I bought my original nook for...reading.  However that being said, using it as a PDA is certainly a possible.  I have a old Apple Newton that works wonderfully and no complaints but of course they stopped making them in 1998, and some day I might have to replace it.  If I ever get to that point, then a nook color looks like a good replacement *if* I can find the apps I need on it.  I see there is going to be a "nook developer" for the nook color, so this means that "in time" it may get to the point of being my next PDA.  But not in the near future. :smileywink:  Regardless it does look promising. :smileyhappy:

By the way, someone said that they have a lot of Fictionwise books that would work on the Nook Color.  Actually it should be the same.  If it works on the Nook it should work on Nook Color.  Same formats are supported (and some added such as .doc etc).

-DB

Reader 4
yorkiebear
0 Kudos

I love my Nook.  Wouldn't want the new one.  Too hard on the eyes.  I work on a computer all day long sure don't want to read on one.  The Nook is the best ereader!  Love Free Fridays

and the specials on ebooks.  Very happy with Barnes & Noble!!  I would recommend the Nook

to anyone who wants an ereader!!

Contributor
Capcom
0 Kudos

NookColor Power Alternatives on Long Airplane Trips?

ilenekm wrote:
Last month, I flew to Tokyo on business and then took a vacation to Puerto Rico. I loved readng my nook on the long plane ride and on the beach. So n o nook color for me

Ilenekim,

I also ordered a NookColor but like you, I fly long on long international flights several times/year and rarely in business class so Airplane charging (EmPower type) ports are usually not available.  Since the NookColor battery is only 8 hours, looks like I'll have to figure out a good alternative power method to use.  Piggy backing off laptop is one less attractive method, but I believe there are several portable USB power extenders available in after market that could be used.  This is one big advantage of the original Nook for traveling....

Frequent Contributor
DBDigital
0 Kudos

Profreader Wrote:

It doesn't support pdb files.

------------------------

Oh?  Hmm wonder how I missed that, and I find it suprising.  But fictionwise does use epub as well although perhaps not for encrypted.  Although I didn't buy encrypted ebooks from them.  However I thought they used the same system DRM,......ereader (well what was formerly known as ereader)?  Of course the book itself might be formated differently, I have not delve into the specifics of the two formats.

Also checking it would seem that Fictionwise no longer has encrypted PDF as one of the formats  for "secure ebooks" only ereader is supported.

-DB

Distinguished Correspondent
Jadjuka
0 Kudos

I have the original nook and I've showed my brother the nook. He logs in the next day and they post the c-nook. He looked at both specs and while he's not happy about the battery life of the c-nook he still wants to get the new one. Me, I love my original. *huggles it* MEIN!!