Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80

If you stuck on an island and you could only have one author's books to read? who would it be?

For me, If I could only use one author I would pick Tom Clancy

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

Re: If you stuck on an island and you could only have one author's books to read? who would it be?

Distinguished Correspondent
Jadjuka
0 Kudos

Re: If you stuck on an island and you could only have one author's books to read? who would it be?

R. A. Salvatore for sure.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Louisa May Alcott

Seriously, how do you do that?!? I thought it was my turn for the brain! :smileyvery-happy: Louisa May Alcott has been my favorite since I picked up Little Women in the school library the first week of 5th grade.

Fran

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

James Lee Burke

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

First one that came to mind:

John Sandford

(But there's no way I could limit myself to just one)

►Without order there is chaos◄
ABthree
0 Kudos

Charles Dickens

He's a great travel companion -- engaging, diverting and providing lots to think about.

And he wrote a lot of books, so I'd have a lot of books to read; that's a must on a desert island!

@shadowcat80 -- the kudos are for the great question, not necessarily for Tom Clancy. :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
PBReilley
0 Kudos

Lee Child.

Jack Reacher would know how to get off that island.  

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Thomas Hardy

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
ABthree
0 Kudos

JohnP51 wrote:

Thomas Hardy

Being stuck on a desert island with only one author wouldn't be depressing ENOUGH?  :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Correspondent
barry2B
0 Kudos

I'd pick Tom Clancy as well, maybe Vince Flynn too.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

Stephen King because he has only written 1 or 2 books that I didn't like AND he is so prolific that I would have lots to choose from.

MegSLP
0 Kudos

If I'm stuck on an island then I want to laugh.  So, I'm picking Janet Evanovich. 

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51

ABthree wrote:

JohnP51 wrote:

Thomas Hardy

Being stuck on a desert island with only one author wouldn't be depressing ENOUGH?  :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Well, you're bringing the Dickens books. We need the Hardy books to balance them out.:smileyvery-happy:

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
nook_rook
0 Kudos

I agree. Evanovich makes me LOL in public, and then everyone wants to know what's so funny.

RHWright
0 Kudos

If I had to choose just one, oddly it wouldn't be my favorite, though still a good author and one I enjoy: Isaac Asimov.

Amazingly prolific, with a bibliography of over 500 titles. Though mostly known for science fiction, he has works in 9 of the 10 major Dewey Decimal classification categories.

So for number of titles & breadth of topics, I'd say he wins for me.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

nook_rook wrote:

I agree. Evanovich makes me LOL in public, and then everyone wants to know what's so funny.

That actually happens to me with Carl Hiaasen and Tim Dorsey... :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
MegSLP

nook_rook wrote:

The best though is when you reply that a fat hooker and an ex-lingerie buyer turned bounty hunter just tackled a giant chicken.  :smileyvery-happy:

ABthree
0 Kudos

@RHWright

He was actually my first thought, too, and for the same reason:  lots of books!

Then I remembered that, for all the "Foundation" and "Robot" books we could name, there's a lot of dreck there, too.  How could there not be, with that kind of compulsive output?

-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Correspondent
Debh366
0 Kudos

Diana Gabledon

´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*