Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh

Insane idea for "The Daily"

I have an insane idea for The Daily. Back in the past a number of authors would publish there novels a chapter at a time in serial format. My idea is simple and I think would be fun. Use The Daily to host a section for serial fiction. Maybe with a catchy name like Serial Box or something. 

How it could work. Each month an author would a chapter at a time. Each chapter would run for about a week. In this way we, the readers, would see 3 or 4 different serial stories play out over the course of a year or so depending on the length of each authors story. 

Because these are unsaved in The Daily there should also, at the end, be an option in the ebook store to purchase the final novel in book format once the story has finished. 

Optionally, well know authors might choose to offer a subscription to their serial novel much like a weekly or monthly magazine subscription. Say if a paperback novel is $7.99 in todays market we could subscribe to a serially produced novel for $5 - $7 and at the end of the subscription receive the finished novel.

Just an idea to make the nook even more uber.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

Re: Insane idea for "The Daily"

Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

Oh goodness, no! 

Correspondent
Cleos_Mum
0 Kudos

I think this is an excellent idea! :smileyhappy: I would love to see a more useful purpose for "The Daily", as the items currently provided hold little interest for me.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
“The greatest gift is a passion for reading.”
- Elizabeth Hardwick

Inspired Correspondent
jynclr
0 Kudos

I don't think this is an insane idea, I think it's a great idea!

I would not be surprised if B&N expands what they're doing on the Daily. As it is, didn't they just recently add one of their bloggers to the Daily? So I think they'll do more.

Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

jynclr wrote:

I don't think this is an insane idea, I think it's a great idea!

I would not be surprised if B&N expands what they're doing on the Daily. As it is, didn't they just recently add one of their bloggers to the Daily? So I think they'll do more.

That's right. The Unbound Blog - B&N's ebook blog- has been sent to The Daily recently. 

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

I think it's a fun idea.  What I would like to see is genre-specific B&N blogs being made available in The Daily.

kp1
Frequent Contributor
kp1
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

Oh thank goodness, I thought you were to request rotating Harlequin covers or the BN video on how to unbox your nook! :smileywink:

Well hold on now, for we females some of those Harlequin covers are quite interesting.

Frequent Contributor
Bamrz
0 Kudos

"Well hold on now, for we females some of those Harlequin covers are quite interesting."

I think I'l just stick with my Johnny Depp screen savers. :smileywink:

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - what a ride!!!
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

kp1 wrote:

FrogAlum wrote:

Oh thank goodness, I thought you were to request rotating Harlequin covers or the BN video on how to unbox your nook! :smileywink:

Well hold on now, for we females some of those Harlequin covers are quite interesting.

LOL  And I would be one also!  You need to read this thread to understand the joke.  :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
ratdog
0 Kudos

I love this idea!

I think Stephen King would go for it! He seems to be willing to try new things with ways to deliver his writing.

Frequent Contributor
KeithK
0 Kudos

That is a great idea, as long as Dan Brown or James Paterson don't take part.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

James Paterson would probably get someone else to write it anyway. 

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
NJMetal
0 Kudos

That sounds like a million dollar idea.  I hope your get a percentage.

"We always condemn most in others, that which we fear most in ourselves." -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Contributor
nonsuch-reader
0 Kudos

That's a really great idea. I really hope they follow your suggestion and/or hire you to use your fabulous brain. :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
lorabele
0 Kudos

Stephen King probably would go for it, since he did something similar with "The Green Mile." It came out in six books, a few chapters at a time.  The suspense was awful waiting for the next one, considering how good the story was.  I'd love something like this right on my nook,and I'd be willing to pay for it same as a book.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman

While I can't promise anything, we're definitely looking into this (Rav's!) great idea.

New User
drumercalzone09
0 Kudos

Charles Dickens, FTW!

Rav_Bunneh

Paul_Hochman wrote:

While I can't promise anything, we're definitely looking into this (Rav's!) great idea.

O____O !!!!!!!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

Paul_Hochman wrote:

Woo Hoo, Can we call it The Bunneh's Daily Book Nook?