New User
ARMVITO
0 Kudos

Internal memory for Nook Color ????

The advertisments say that the Nook Color comes with 8 GB of memory (storage) but yet when I checked it it has only 5GB of memory(storage)

It is using a few MB's for the software but says it has only 5GB of internal Builtin Storage.

I tried to call the Nook People but it keeps guiding me to the FAQ's.

I will call again tomorrow I might have another number for this.  Other than this the NookColor is exceptionally good and great to have with me.  I really like it. It's the best small compact computer technology product that I have seen come out in a long time probably since windows 3.1 with the program manager (on the desktop screen)came out.

The clerks at B & N and also at Best Buy have no idea why this is.  They agreed that the new Nook Color should have 8GB instead of 5GB because that is what is advertised on the posters and ads throughout the stores.

I will again call tomorrow.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Re: Internal memory for Nook Color ????

You could have searched this forum and found the answer.

It does come with 8gbs, in spite of the fact that it shows only 5gbs free.

3gbs are for the os and apps that are running onit.

Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

I don't have a Nook Color, so I can't say anything for sure. I know with most electronics, they will say one size, but the actual formatted capacity's generally lower. 3GB though?... sounds like a bit much. Does it come preloaded with anything that may be taking up space?

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

They may be reserving space for future apps. The microSD is now easy to access and should provide plenty of storage.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

NOOKcolor has 8GB of memory (not storage).

End user available storage should be 5GB.

3 GB reserved for apps, OS, fallback OS, room for updates, etc (ROM)

5 GB reserved for user data (purchased books, sideloaded books, movies, music, etc.)

New User
ARMVITO
0 Kudos

The unit nookcolor states it has 5GB only.  Not 8GB. 

And, it would not be using or reserving 3gb for this unit.  It says it has 5GB and is only using several MB's for the apps. 

I think this is a misprint on the ads. One good thing is that the unit can hold a memory card up to 32MB's so today I am buying an internal micro chip memory card of 8GB's ($21.00) which should be be okay for me.

New User
ARMVITO
0 Kudos

Truthfully I love my NookColor unit.  I was checking the setup when I ran into the info. where it states it has 5GB and is using only a few MB's for the apps.  The ads say it comes with 8GB of internal storage but that not so from what I read.

8GB or 5Gb it doesn't matter to me because they made it to where the unit can hold up to 32GB for storage by buying a micro-chip SD card.  Problem solved. 

I was just wondering how they can make such a huge mistake in the advertisment for this product. This unit is one of the best technology upgrades that has come along since way back when.  I will definitely buy one more for a family Christmas gift. 

Correspondent
lisat96
0 Kudos

ARMVITO wrote:

And, it would not be using or reserving 3gb for this unit.  It says it has 5GB and is only using several MB's for the apps. 

I think this is a misprint on the ads. One good thing is that the unit can hold a memory card up to 32MB's so today I am buying an internal micro chip memory card of 8GB's ($21.00) which should be be okay for me.

The memory is partitioned.  The partition that you can access is 5GB.  The other partition is only accessible by the Nook itself.  Think of it like dividing your hard drive into a C and a D drive.  When you look at either drive (even though they're physically the same drive), you see the size of that drive as being the size of the partition, not the physical size of the drive.

Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

ARMVITO wrote:

It IS reserving 3GB for apps. It's a protected partition and is how Android keeps apps from playing nice with each other and your private data private.
New User
ccrider77
0 Kudos

Older thread but I'm having some Nook memory issues as well.  I just bought an micro SD card with 16GB and installed it on the NookColor.  While I can see the folders on the card from the Nook, it won't simply use them.  I'm still showing a mere 136MB of available space, and I need a lot more.  I also cannot access the SD card from my computer when I hook the Nook up with a USB cable, so I cannot simply drag and drop stuff in the new empty folders. 

Shouldn't the NookColor automatically see and start utilizing the new memory when it's plugged in or do I need a 27-step procedure and 3 hours on the phone with a B&N tech in Malaysia to get this done?