Frequent Contributor
DonnaReads
0 Kudos

Is Grin and Tonic supposed to be funny? It's not.

Sorry, I wasn't going to post this because it makes me seem like a humorless jerk.  But as a daughter who watched both parents fight colon cancer, I do NOT find today's Grin & Tonic funny - in fact, I think it's quite offensive. 

Yes, I do have a great sense of humor, and yes, I know nobody's forcing me to read these so-called blogs from B&N. 

I really wish there was some way we could turn off the two useless blogs that download every day to our Nooks, and actually get the B&N blogs we want to read instead.  Perhaps I should suggest that for Version 1.5 of our software. 

Contributor
CoryN
0 Kudos

Re: Is Grin and Tonic supposed to be funny? It's not.

I agree that we should be able to disable or at least hide ones we don't like, and I also agree that today's Grin & Tonic wasn't funny.  I'm not sure if it was meant to be.

It's unfortunate that the post was evocative enough to offend you.

Correspondent
illmunkeys

Maybe you should re-read it and understand that he isn't making fun of people with cancer - he's lambasting the idiot clinicians that post things on Facebook.

You aren't going to find everything you read funny.  Tragedy attracts comedy.  If we eliminated all the jokes that involved some sort of tragic circumstance we'd have a handful of jokes that are funny to six year olds.

Contributor
Kawarazu
0 Kudos

I've found that Grin and Tonic's usually supposed to be a piece made to satirize and bring awareness to hypocrisy and absurdity in today's modern world.  

I think there's always going to be a few people that will take the Grin and Tonic the wrong way; but that's the way it's made to be.

Inspired Contributor
Fuddster

I've owned my nook for less than a week so I've only seen a few of the Grin & Tonic articles, but I have to say that so far I haven't found them funny at all. I don't find them offensive, I just don't think they're particularly funny/humorous/clever. ::shrug::

Reader 4
JustStart

[ Edited ]

They really are funny if you have a sense of humor about it. To think that the post was to ridicule people with cancer is completly off the wall and crazy. How you got to that I do not know. You're not the only person who knows someone with cancer.