Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Gus97

Is eyestrain really an issue with LCD screens?

Is eyestrain really an issue with LCD screens? David Carnoy's optholmogist (or however you spell that) doesn't think so.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-20021227-82.html?tag=cnetRiver

I agree with Dr. Martin that it's probably just a matter of personal choice rather than an actual medical issue, though e-ink's anti-glare capabilities definitely trounce LCD's.

I've been a loyal nook owner, but I'm now very interested in the Nookcolor. The only downside to it seems to be the glare and the 6-8 hour battery life, though charging it every night wouldn't be a problem...

"If inspiration doesn't knock, build a door." -Milton Berle
Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

Re: Is eyestrain really an issue with LCD screens?

I stare at my computer for hours at a time, and the screen rarely bothers me.

My main problems remain glare and the eight hour battery life.

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
Scribe
frantastk

[ Edited ]

I've actually never had a problem with LCD screens, but I know some people do.  I haven't read any studies, if there are any, but I would imagine that it's one of those things that bothers some people but not others. For the record, I have very bad eyes.  I've been wearing glasses (near sighted) since the age of 9, full time since age 10.  I also have an astigmatism in both eyes and had to stop wearing contacts because they bothered my eyes. (I've read that they have better ones now, I stopped wearing them 9 years ago.)

My sister who is legally blind without glasses and has pretty severe nightblindness, so much that she she has never had a driver's license and she's over 30, also has absolutely no eyestrain with LCD screens and she stares at them all day long.

That being said, I do prefer my nook for long term reading, mostly because it's so much more comfortable to curl up on the couch with the small nook than sit at a desk or table or hunched over my laptop to read.  I also like that it mimics a book page more and makes me feel like I'm holding an actual book and not an electronic device.  I did used to read aloud to my kids the classics from Gutenberg right from my laptop screen without any problems.  Now I use my nook.

Fran

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

My ophthalmologist seems to think so.  We had a discussion one day when he saw my Nook.  He said he bought an iPad and hated reading on it.  So he gave it to his kids and went back to his eReader.

I look at a computer all day, I my eyes do get tired, but I can't imagine trying to read and having the light staring me in the eyes, especially in a darker room.  But, each to his own.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Well, I am not at a computer all day.  When I use a computer, I have no problem with eye strain although I never am at the computer hours on end.

That said, I read my nook for quite some time when I am traveling on planes and never even notice any kind of eye strain with e-ink.  I have noticed some people reading on ipads and from a few rows back on a plane can see the glare when not even outside.   I have noticed the people with an ipad constantly moving it to maybe get a better view.

It may well be just a personal preference.  I do like the e-ink and because I use my nook when I travel I do need the extended battery time that the nookcolor doesn't provide.

As an OT, couldn't they come up with a more clever name that nookcolor?

Correspondent
Heritage07
0 Kudos

I have read 5 books so far on my iPad without any eyestrain. I think what helps is the ability to darken and / or change the background to a sepia tone.

Contributor
teacher47

You plug your phone is every night-you'll get used to plugging in your cNook.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

teacher47 wrote:

You plug your phone is every night-you'll get used to plugging in your cNook.

For daily uses that would work, but when I fly it is from Texas to the east coast complete with layovers and arriving early to check in, go through security etc.  I would need more than 8 hours, and you can't always find "plug-ins" that aren't being used.  

Contributor
teacher47
0 Kudos

It can be a medical problem-I have dry eyes and do get strain from prolonged use of my computer even though I can adjust the light on the screen. It is well documented that computer screens cause eye strain for people with this problem.  I have read for hours on end on my Nook and have not had a problem.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

I'm sure it varies from person to person.  I definitely notice a difference.  I wonder if there is a tendency for some people to blink less with a backlit screen as oppose to e-Ink screens or paper books.  A sort of deer-in-headlights effect that's drying out and tiring out our eyes. :smileytongue:

Frequent Contributor
bic101

On the otherhand, computer vision syndrome explained:

http://www.pennmedicine.org/ophth/conditions/cvs.html

Frequent Contributor
Wisdana
0 Kudos

I tried to help a customer  set up one of the Pandigital devices - really - and felt a headache coming on after about five minutes. He came back a couple days later and said he'd sent it back. I bet he'll love the nook color.

Frequent Contributor
debbi801
0 Kudos

teacher47 wrote:

It can be a medical problem-I have dry eyes and do get strain from prolonged use of my computer even though I can adjust the light on the screen. It is well documented that computer screens cause eye strain for people with this problem.  I have read for hours on end on my Nook and have not had a problem.

This has been my experience, too.  It is difficult for me to use a computer for long periods of time.  I need to take breaks to rest my eyes and use artificial tears 4 times a day.  I can read my nook without any issues, thankfully.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

bic101 wrote:

On the otherhand, computer vision syndrome explained:

http://www.pennmedicine.org/ophth/conditions/cvs.html

That's just the University of Pennsylvania's medical school talking.  They don't know what they're talking about.  They only do actual research, you know.

I'm a migraine sufferer and sensitive to light, sound, you name it.  I take daily preventative medication, which after years of adjusting have decreased the migraines from five per week - yes, pretty much everyday - to one per week.

LCD monitors are definitely a contributing factor *for me*.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

I love the fact that when I go on vacation (not enough lately) I can take my Nook and read in bright sunlight without a problem.  I don't think I could do that with an LCD screen.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
kayannep
0 Kudos

You could purchase an extended battery pack for travelling.  (Just an option/suggestion that I read on another discussion). 

Contributor
TinyTink
0 Kudos

My only concern is being able to read it out in the bright sun light. With my beloved nook I can do so with out any eye strain. I'm thinking with the nook color that it may be a problem.

Live The Life You Love,
Love The Life You Live.
Correspondent
iambrad
0 Kudos

When we think of eye strain we think of headaches, tiredness, dye eyes, trouble focusing, etc. This isn't necessarily always the case.

I've never had any problems with it myself except the occassional headache, but that may not even be related. I do notice that the my nook is a bit more comfortable to read though. It;s one of those things that, for me, isn't really noticeable while using the computer, but I can feel a difference when I am reading on the nook.

It's hard to describe, but I guess it would be like when the power goes out at your house. You can have everything turned off and it sounds completely quiet, but somehow when the power goes out, you realize just how much ambient sound there is. It's not that I experience any real problems reading on a computer, but when I do so on a non LCD display, I notice just how much different it is.

Does that make sense?

Correspondent
julianka
0 Kudos

As far as that goes - can't eyestrain be a problem from just plain reading, period?  I mean even DTBs, too much reading can be bad for the eyes (or the thing our parents always warned us about; reading in poor light.) 

- Judy

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

juliana:

It's different - an LCD screen essentially shines light into your eyes - imagine if you sat with a flashlight pointing directly into your eyes for several hours, and you can get why that would cause eyestrain.  an e-ink screen (and regular old paper books) don't have this effect, because they're not backlit and require an external light source to shine onto the screen, rather than from the screen itself.

Some people have no problems staring into an LCD monitor all day, particularly the newer IPS screens that don't have the "flicker" of older screens, and even more particularly if the light levels are set at a "comfortable" level rather than too bright.  Some people do have a problem.

Of course, even paper books can cause eyestrain if you're reading in poor light conditions, but if you're reading under correct lighting it shouldn't be a problem.

(now having flashbacks to my childhood with my dad yelling at me to turn on a light(!) every time he saw me reading in the dark).