Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Rosalyn0
0 Kudos

Is there a monthly fee for internet

I am thinking of buying a nook. I understand that if I buy the one for $199 I can have internet where ever I go, But I want to know if there is a monthly fee for this?  this will be the decieding factor between the one for $150 or the $199.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: Is there a monthly fee for internet

Rosalyn0 wrote:

I am thinking of buying a nook. I understand that if I buy the one for $199 I can have internet where ever I go, But I want to know if there is a monthly fee for this?  this will be the decieding factor between the one for $150 or the $199.

Welcome! :smileyhappy:

B&N picks up the cost for 3G service.  There is no additional charge for WiFi service, as long as you're accessing a free hotspot, or your own router at home.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you buy the NOOK for $199 there will be internet browsing wherever the $149 NOOK can get it and no where else.  In order to access the internet browser you need to be connected to WiFi.  You CAN NOT use the browser over 3G.  The only thing 3G is good for is a)Searching and buying books from B&N and b)updating content on the NOOK (ie. The Daily and items in your My B&N Documents folder)

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

Rosalyn0 wrote:

Welcome! :smileyhappy:

B&N picks up the cost for 3G service.  There is no additional charge for WiFi service, as long as you're accessing a free hotspot, or your own router at home.

ABthree, be careful how you word that.  Going off of their question and your answer you make it sound like they can use the 3G to access the internet.  I'm sure you didn't mean to do that since we all know that the WiFi is the only thing used to access the internet.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Rosalyn0 wrote:

I am thinking of buying a nook. I understand that if I buy the one for $199 I can have internet where ever I go, But I want to know if there is a monthly fee for this? 

The 3G systems will not give you internet access.  It will allow you to shop and download from the B&N online store.  The service is free

Only the WiFi system will let you surf the 'Net.  The $199 version has WiFi as does the $149 version, but you have to be in a WiFi hotspot or a physical B&N store to use it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ozman69 wrote:

ABthree, be careful how you word that.  Going off of their question and your answer you make it sound like they can use the 3G to access the internet.  I'm sure you didn't mean to do that since we all know that the WiFi is the only thing used to access the internet.

Thanks for the "correction", but --
The "Internet" is much bigger than and isn't the same thing as "The Worldwide Web".  B&N offers Internet content -- access to your library on the B&N server, access to the B&N Store, the ability to purchase from the B&N store -- under both 3G and WiFi protocols.  The only Internet tool whose availability is exclusive to WiFi on the Nook is the web browser.
OP started the question asking about the $190 unit, so I answered both.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
childofGodcb
0 Kudos

I hate to sound ignorant, but does that mean I have to be in a WIFI hot spot to read a book or just to download one?

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Just to download.  Once you have it on your Nook, it's there whether you're connected or not. 

It's not ignorant, it's a good question.  For many people reading this forum, this is their first e-reader too.  They might not know either and feel too silly to ask!

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

childofGodcb wrote:

I hate to sound ignorant, but does that mean I have to be in a WIFI hot spot to read a book or just to download one?

Just to download it.

Correspondent
wstewart
0 Kudos

childofGodcb wrote:

Welcome:smileyhappy:.  Only to download books, you can read them anywhere.

Bill

Frequent Contributor
xamier
0 Kudos

With 3G you can shop for and download a book from Barnes and Noble anywhere with or without a hot spot.

With wifi you have to have a hot spot to shop and download. Once downloaded onto your nook, you can read the book anywhere/any time no connections needed.

You must have wifi to cruise the net with both nooks.

Xamier
Beware shiny objects that are free, for in this world there are no shiny objects that are free...Darkkin

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Michael-V wrote:
This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Well, there you are, Michael-V.  Hope you had a good holiday.