New User
reading-is-bliss
0 Kudos

Is there any news regarding a new Nook with a larger screen?

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

Re: Is there any news regarding a new Nook with a larger screen?

I have no news to share, but I am curious as to how much larger you would like?  For me, the Nook is just about perfect.  Any larger and it would be too heavy and too large to comfortably carry (for me, that is). 

The only time I want a larger screen is when I'm reading a PDF library book (as I am currently doing with James Patterson's "Cat & Mouse" which was not available as EPUB at my library).  The "small" font is too small to comfortably read (the font size is about half that of a paperback), but the next size up is just one or two characters too large and the page cuts off on every line and just those characters scroll to the next line down (by themselves) which makes it virtually unreadable. 

While I'm not looking for a larger screen, I think having a landscape orientation feature available (which I think would be a software fix, not a hardware one) would solve that issue.  Crossing my fingers...

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

All you had to do was google. Any news on an updated Nook will be in the search engines instantly after its been announced. That said I highly doubt you will see any new Nook anytime this year. With the Nook and kindle sporting smaller screens than the Kindle 2 I also doubt they will make a bigger screen. Most people like the paperback size. Why would you want it anyways?? You can enlarge the text.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

The NOOK and Kindle (1, 2, and 3) all have the same size screen.

There are many reasons for a larger screen. The most obvious being the desire to view PDF documents with their original formatting, a feature especially important when reading technical material.

Amazon released the Kindle DX to meet the needs of this audience.

The Plastic Logic Que was supposed to fill this niche for B&N, however the device faded away into the sunset when the iPad was released with more capability at a lower cost.

I personally have no interest in a larger screen NOOK, but that doesn't mean others don't have a legitimate need for one.

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

^^^Yes I meant the DX.

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

I agree that there are reasons for a larger screen for specific purposes.  For general book-reading, it's perfect for me (which is probably why the current size is somewhat standard across brands). 

I think the landscape orientation would help with the technical manuals, but it's still not a perfect solution.  If I spent much time reading those types of things, I'd probably opt for a netbook or a tablet simply because of the size and the color availability.  Of course, if I had to use it outside, (blueprints, schematics, etc.) that wouldn't work very well, either. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

I personally have no interest in a larger screen NOOK, but that doesn't mean others don't have a legitimate need for one.

I agree.  I like my nook the size it is, because as someone else mentioned, it would be too heavy if it were larger.

But, I'm that person who prefers hardback or trade paperback to mass market paperback, in part due to page size.  If the device could be no heavier, my ultimate preference would be for a slightly larger screen - you know the size of a trade paperback over mass market.

Would I trade "Taliesin" for a new NOOK?  No way, but I definitely see why someone else would prefer it...

Contributor
dubes
0 Kudos

A New nook will be coming out in a few weeks. 

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

dubes wrote:

A New nook will be coming out in a few weeks. 

... and your basis for this statement is...?

Contributor
dubes
0 Kudos

A little educated guess derived from the July FCC approvals and a little inside knowledge of the existence of it, but no details.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

dubes wrote:

A little educated guess derived from the July FCC approvals and a little inside knowledge of the existence of it, but no details.

Wrong.  The July FCC approvals have already hit the shelves.  Same as the First nook, just different radios.  

Don't start rumors.  We have enough of those already.

Contributor
dubes
0 Kudos

Ok.  If I am right, do I earn an "I told ya so?"  Good naturedly of course.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Here's B&Ns explanation to the FCC for those July submissions.

Exec Summary

Attestation letter.

There are people on this list that already have the Model bearing the BNRZ100-01 in hand.

In fact if you ordered the 3G model recently you already have this version.

Contributor
dubes
0 Kudos

We shall see........

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Screen is the correct size already.

But - I could stand for it to have a higher resolution and a higher contrast ratio - but I do not believe e-ink can do any better for now.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

Dude give it a rest.LOL Icebike is correct. There is no new Nook coming out yet. I doubt we will see one before xmas. There would have been news by now.

Contributor
dubes
0 Kudos

They can not announce a new Nook early because if they did, no one would come into the stores and buy the existing one for the next several weeks and that would hurt sales which have been hurt already. 

They need to sell units every week regardless of what is coming out next month or Xmas, that is why they don't announce a new replacement product until it is really available.

Inspired Correspondent
Angulimala
0 Kudos

Well, there will be either a new nook or a software update or a major new addition to the nook usability in the last week of October. The weekly sales plan in most stores jumps 80-120% in that last week. Last time that happened was in the third week of June, when prices dropped and nook WiFi was released.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

[ Edited ]

Angulimala wrote:

Well, there will be either a new nook or a software update or a major new addition to the nook usability in the last week of October. The weekly sales plan in most stores jumps 80-120% in that last week. Last time that happened was in the third week of June, when prices dropped and nook WiFi was released.

Or another price drop?  

I suspect there is still 30 to 50 bucks worth of slack in the pricing looking at components and the simplicity of the board design.  

But it could be that we have to wait THAT long for a new software fix that gives us a major new feature?  There are lots of possibilities that would warrant such a rush, even with the current hardware.

Some features that could justify a sales increase:

• Buying books from any ebook compatible seller and downloading them direct via the web browser
  • Direct Library downloads via the Web Browser
  • Direct loading of ebooks from Calibre's built in web server over wifi
  • Select web sites available over 3G, such as wiki, blogs, news, 
  • Integration with nook study for class room use
  • Lend me that is fair to the nook owners
  • A great Christmas promotion of some kind 
  • Family Friendly accounts for child readers - maybe with school tie in.

And of course, 

An ereader device from some OTHER manufacturer that integrates with B&N store.  Several have been suggested in the past.  Google will find them.  But it won't be a Barnes and Noble device.  Samsung might be a good guess..  There are about 20  Android Tablet coming out soon, and B&N could decide to carry one of them with the Android version of Nook ereader installed.

The features we have been begging for would not justify expectations that high.  But then those are expectations, not reality just yet.  And a move by Amazon could blunt that quickly.  

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Oh, I forgot the possibility of B&N adding an app store feature to the current nook like Amazon is planning   according to the Wall Street Journal.

A nook that could run apps, allows them not to wast their time dealing with Games, by letting the independent software developers do that.  Nook isn't the best game platform but it might be fine for multi-player Scrabble, or similar turn based games, puzzles, word games, and such.

Nook programming staff are barely adequate to churn out the required updates.  By allowing android developer community carry the load of innovation and development on this low-power device the B&N staff can concentrate on the reader software.  

If seeded with a few apps, such an app store would bring a lot of interest.  I'm not sure it would triple sales next month.