New User
Kittens_Ayles_Reading
0 Kudos

Is there going to be a Nook 2 coming out?

[ Edited ]

I have heard rumors saying that B&N will make a new Nook to counter the Kindle 3. Is that true?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

Re: Is there going to be a Nook 2 coming out?

Nobody knows except people inside B&N who are forbidden to say.

Really, about the only difference would be using Pearl film rather than Vizplex. My personal guess (based on reading tea leaves) is that B&N might bring out a premium version of the NOOK 3G with Pearl, but probably will keep Vizplex on the NOOK Wi-Fi and continue to offer a Vizplex NOOK 3G.

Frequent Contributor
donjuan3

Kittens_Ayles_Reading wrote:

I have heard rumors saying that B&N will make a new Nook to counter the Kindle 3. Is that true?

Yup there will be a new nook it is just a matter of when it arrives. The only thing that will stop it is if B&N disappears or major economic collapse of the USA  Now the latter of those is possible and perhaps likely but even if that happens B&N will likely still have a new version they will just sell more of them internationally.

Besides the new  upgraded better clarity e-ink screen already mentioned they should definitely improve the ergonimics to be able to compete with the Kobo reader and should also add a microphone like Amazon did. A microphone would allow you to do all kinds of things including telephony.

I'm real hopeful they get this new reader out this year because I would hate to have to buy the Kobo reader, or maybe even a Kindle although I loathe their proprietary file format and lack of a sd card, not to mention you can't get library book on it.

Inspired Contributor
Fantolay

telephony

Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

donjuan3 wrote:

A microphone would allow you to do all kinds of things including telephony.

There are such things as cell phones, you know.   :smileywink:

Personally, I think know there are many, many software improvements that could be made to the current nook that would make it a leading product, long before bothering with a nook 2 and adding a mic'.

However, I don't doubt a nook 2 is on the cards.   The consumer market is conditioned to expect new equipment every couple years with features they never realized they wanted until they see them; then they cannot do without them.

As a product development guy, it fortunately keeps me busy!   :smileyvery-happy:

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

AllenR wrote:

donjuan3 wrote:

A microphone would allow you to do all kinds of things including telephony.

There are such things as cell phones, you know.   :smileywink:

Personally, I think know there are many, many software improvements that could be made to the current nook that would make it a leading product, long before bothering with a nook 2 and adding a mic'.

However, I don't doubt a nook 2 is on the cards.   The consumer market is conditioned to expect new equipment every couple years with features they never realized they wanted until they see them; then they cannot do without them.

As a product development guy, it fortunately keeps me busy!   :smileyvery-happy:

Personally, I'll be a little more than annoyed if they save certain software improvements for Nook 2 instead of putting them in the current Nook.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Frequent Contributor
donjuan3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AllenR wrote:

Oh, what kind of products do you develop? Anything electronic?

I'm not sure how much you know about electronic readers and tablets and book formats but what is your best guess when a new verion of the nook will come out? I think it is going to be about mid november of this year. Although it may not come until January or Febuary.

Either way I will likely be waiting unless I go for one of these cheap  but full android/ LCD screen tablets that are coming out. Too bad pixel qi couldn't hurry up with their screens for tablets.

Frequent Contributor
donjuan3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ozman69 wrote:

Personally, I'll be a little more than annoyed if they save certain software improvements for Nook 2 instead of putting them in the current Nook.

I dont think they would  do that this early since the nook has been out not even a year. Not unlikely. However, if you dont have a possible - touch screen, microphone, stylus etcetera then well you cant offer software for that.

But your concern is also why  there will be a new nook version out. If all they were upgrading is free  software  then they can't sell the customer base they already have new hardware.  Obviously.

Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

donjuan3 wrote:

AllenR wrote:

Oh, what kind of products do you develop? Anything electronic?

I'm not sure how much you know about electronic readers and tablets and book formats but what is your best guess when a new verion of the nook will come out? I think it is going to be about mid november of this year. Although it may not come until January or Febuary.

Either way I will likely be waiting unless I go for one of these cheap  but full android/ LCD screen tablets that are coming out. Too bad pixel qi couldn't hurry up with their screens for tablets.

Not electronic products, per se, no.  But like everything else these days, they contain alot of electronics for control, monitoring and display.
As for a nook 2 timing, it will depend on B&N's strategy.   What is more important? - developing the e-commerce aspect and selling e-books, selling nooks, or a 70/30 or 60/40 combination?   Amazon wants to sell Kindles and sell their e-books, maybe 70/30, because when you buy a Kindle, you have to buy Amazon books.  B&N have an open format, so they potentially lose e-book sales, but choice is obviously of value to a customer and is an alternative business model that clearly attracts new business.   B&N though focus on advertising primarily in their Brick and Mortar stores.  (Personally, I think they should be more visible to non-store users to generate increased business)
Hardware development costs heavily both in time and money (development, supply, manufacturing, assembly, distribution, support).   Software is much simpler to develop and deploy.  nook 1 is a great concept as it should be able to be significantly improved through software updates alone (unless there's some fundamental design issue with the current internal hardware that limits certain capabilities; eg. faster page turns?)
However, the market likes to see "new" products on a regular basis to satisfy its hunger for more and better.  With Kindle 3 released and new Sony updates on the way, B&N may be feeling pressured into developing a nook 2.  Sales guys can always sell what they don't have and will complain about competitor advantages;  better contrast, faster page turns, lighter weight, smaller, color.   Why did the latest Camaro get 8hp more?   Because it was 1hp less than Mustang.   It makes little peformance difference, but on a spec. sheet, it's critical.   The big question is does B&N understand what its targeted customer-base truly wants?   That's especially tough since the wants, according to this group, go from nothing more than a simple e-reader to a smartphone!  :smileywink:
Alternatively, B&N may not be able to afford more hardware development at this time or may decide it has a sufficiently competitive hardware platform and will focus on doing what we all want, which is make the nook 1 what it should be, through a MAJOR software upgrade.  But this will inevitably be a short term plan.   B&N will have to go to Pearl screens.   They will also have to reduce the nook's cost to improve margins after the recent pricing war.    There will be a nook 2.
As for when, if it happens sooner, it will likely be before Christmas as the consumer market seems to be on a yearly cycle but no doubt B&N will be concerned about a smooth launch, unlike last time where they rushed, missed hitting some key performance issues, already set by Kindle, and had major quality problems.  A V2 software upgrade will certainly come very soon, otherwise nook will be seen as falling way behind Kindle.
Only time will tell what B&N's plans are.  
Hmmm, when did I leave my time machine?    :smileyvery-happy:

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Any 'rumors' heard about a Nook 2 are just speculation.    Who knows!  I personally don't see the need for a Nook 2.   I've looked at pictures and videos of the 'pearl' ink screen as was underwhelmed.  While it improved upon the Kindle's screen (which was never as vivid as the Nook's anyway),  as compared to the Nook the only thing I noticed was that the print was slightly darker.  Nothing to get excited about.   

I'm more interested in what the next software upgrade will being,  better folder organization maybe? *fingers crossed*!

Linda

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

The only feature that would really make me buy a new Nook would be having the page buttons be reversed (page forward on the top).  They were so poorly placed, probably because they were following Kindle's design.  Since I, like most people, hold something in my hand with my thumb wrapping around the object and landing near the top, I find the button to be incredibly inconvenient (and the swiping of the touch screen doesn't fix the problem, but it at least takes less force).

I THINK this could be fixed through a software update as I have heard that rooting the Nook allows for programming of the buttons, but I haven't opted to go that drastic of a route yet.  But if the buttons get fixed, I'm buying the new one and will make my mom a happy camper by giving her my current one. 

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

DiAnneInDover wrote:

The only feature that would really make me buy a new Nook would be having the page buttons be reversed (page forward on the top).  They were so poorly placed, probably because they were following Kindle's design.  Since I, like most people, hold something in my hand with my thumb wrapping around the object and landing near the top, I find the button to be incredibly inconvenient (and the swiping of the touch screen doesn't fix the problem, but it at least takes less force).

I THINK this could be fixed through a software update as I have heard that rooting the Nook allows for programming of the buttons, but I haven't opted to go that drastic of a route yet.  But if the buttons get fixed, I'm buying the new one and will make my mom a happy camper by giving her my current one. 

Unfortunately this would make the NOOK less useable for me. I hold the NOOK as you describe, but my thumb is perfectly placed for the current page forward button location.

Since we all have different sized hands and reading positions the best option would be to make the buttons user configurable. Just swapping them would please some people while upsetting others (ME).

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

Unfortunately this would make the NOOK less useable for me. I hold the NOOK as you describe, but my thumb is perfectly placed for the current page forward button location.

Since we all have different sized hands and reading positions the best option would be to make the buttons user configurable. Just swapping them would please some people while upsetting others (ME).

I totally agree...make it customizable.  Since rooting it already allows that to happen, it should be an option.

I am curious how you hold the Nook.  For me, in order to hold it with my thumb being placed on the page forward button, the bottom corner of the Nook has to be pushed into my palm, which isn't comfortable.  Since you are a guy, I probably have smaller hands than you and I would think that would just exacerbate the issue.  I'm not, of course, doubting you, you've just picqued my curiosity.  Maybe I just need to train myself to hold it differently.  :smileyhappy:

For me, the most comfortable way to hold it is to leave it in the OberonDesign cover and put my four fingers in the space between the cover and the Nook, which lets my thumb bend down and push the button, but the placement still is a hindrance on that option, as well.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

@DianneInDover,

A picture is worth a thousand words.......

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Yeah, if they were going to change that  I'd like to see it customizable because I wouldn't be a happy camper if they switched the buttons, I like them as they are.  I hold mine with two hands, come to think of it that's how I've always held a paperback as well.  Habit I guess!

Linda

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

Ahh!  Love the picture!!  That's how I hold it, too, but the corner digs in to my dainty little hand.  LOL!! 

Okay, it's official.  We Nooksters demand customizable buttons! 

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

Customizable buttons would be nice, but I'm curious how you would label the actual hardware. Numbers (button 1 is forward, button 2 is backward)? Normal arrows (confusing all the technologically illiterate)? Tiny eInk screens that display the arrow that you've assigned to that button? :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
Tubby
0 Kudos

I'm dying to get an eReader.  I'd love to get a Nook, but I'm still a bit uncertain.  If they'd just release a "release date" with some teaser features, I'd definately wait.  With friends getting the new Kindle, I'm starting to lean that way.

I did find this (http://www.best-ereaders.com/2010/07/18/new-nook-3g-appears-on-the-fcc-website/) about the new nook being on the FCC's website.  A quick look at the documents reveals that the letters from B&N to the FCC to keep some things out of the public eye were dated June 3, 2010.

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Customizable buttons would be nice, but I'm curious how you would label the actual hardware. Numbers (button 1 is forward, button 2 is backward)? Normal arrows (confusing all the technologically illiterate)? Tiny eInk screens that display the arrow that you've assigned to that button? :smileywink:

I thought someone might bring up that point.  But really, most folks keep their Nooks to themselves or share just with spouses.  No need to label them, if you set the button to reverse, then you know what you did. 

If anyone else tries to grab my Nook and use it, he's got bigger problems than just confusion.  (You can take my kids, you can take my car, but keep your filthy paws off my Nook!)  LOL

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

Tubby wrote:

I'm dying to get an eReader.  I'd love to get a Nook, but I'm still a bit uncertain.  If they'd just release a "release date" with some teaser features, I'd definately wait.  With friends getting the new Kindle, I'm starting to lean that way.

I'm always amazed that anyone (yeah, really!) would buy a Kindle.   I just made up a list of all the books I've read on my Nook since the middle of March and how much I have spent on books.  It came to a whopping $26.  If I had bought a Kindle, that cost would have been roughly $180.  Why? Because mostly I read library books, which of course Kindle doesn't allow.

I haven't seen the Kindle 3, but I wasn't all that impressed with Kindle 1 or 2.  It was nice, but nothing spectacular.  The way I see it, Nook is "free" after deducting the cost of books which would have to be purchased through Amazon instead of being read for free. 

I'm not wealthy by any means, but even if I were, I'd rather spend that money on something else rather than just buy overpriced books to read one time (and not even be able to give them away to friends or sell in a garage sale). 

Nook (and Kobo and Sony) win!