Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

It's just a little frustrating

[ Edited ]

It's all just a little frustrating.  I really can't wait until the eBook market stablizes.  I'm tired of seeing new books getting published at B&N without an ebook version to accompany it.

I'd like to buy at B&N because of the ease of purchasing through the nook.  I'll purchase at other sites, but there are more steps involved, and I end up slightly resenting B&N for the inconvience (not logical I know - but irritation and anoyances don't lend themselves to being "logical")

A book just published this month, "Saltation" by Steve Miller and Sharon Lee.

At B&N - No eBook version and the Hardback is $24 rebated down to $17:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Saltation/Sharon-Lee/e/9781439133453/?itm=1&USRI=saltation

At BAEN - Hardback and eBook version. 

eBook version selling for $6: http://www.webscription.net/p-1164-saltation.aspx  

PLUS the first 9 chapters of it are availble for reading online here: http://www.webscription.net/chapters/143913345X/143913345X.htm?blurb

(No Amazon Kindel eBook version yet)

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: It's just a little frustrating

@SlaughterS,

Yes the eBook is available for $6 from BAEN (I love buying from them and have a number of their eBooks).

BAEN will not sell you the hardcover however. When you click on the hardcover buy button it provides you with links to Amazon, B&N, and a bunch of other book sellers.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

SlaughterS wrote:

It's all just a little frustrating.  I really can't wait until the eBook market stablizes.  I'm tired of seeing new books getting published at B&N without an ebook version to accompany it.

On the other hand I was shopping for some Nina M. Osier titles the other day, and what everyone else was selling for 6 and 7 bucks, B&N had for $1.95. High Places.

As for the latests releases, its quite an accomplishment (and just a touch sad) to be so well read that there is nothing to read until you can get your mitts on the latest release.    :smileywink:

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Contributor
darthlaurie
0 Kudos

Yesterday I was looking at buying The Historian for the Nook. It's $12.99 for the E-Book, and around $6 for the hard cover (which I already have...still sitting in a box somewhere from last year's move). $12.99 is also the price for Kostova's new book, The Swan Thieves for the e-book. What gives?! One would think the older book would be a dollar or two less than the new book, but not in this case. Of course, if I buy The Historian e-book right now, you just KNOW they'll drop the price the next day! :robotsad:

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Larryonli

I cannot find the e-book of "A Mighty Fortress".... is the agency model working?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Hypatia1 wrote:

@Larryonli

I cannot find the e-book of "A Mighty Fortress".... is the agency model working?

Must we do this for every title someone dreams up?

First there about a dozen works by that name, and second

B&N is not responsible for the fact that it has not been

released in ebook form yet.

Take this to the ebook forum.  Or better yet

just drop it.  You don't have to read something the second it

is published.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Hypatia1 wrote:

@Larryonli

It has not been released in print yet.

B&N has been hit and miss in offering eBooks for pre-order even when they have the hardcover listed. A number of people on the forum have pointed out that there is really no utility in pre-ordering an eBook, especially an eBook from an "Agency Model" publisher, that can't be discounted by the seller.

A Mighty Fortress is published by Tor, a subsidiary of Macmillan, and should be released simultaneously in eBook and hardcover.

Whether B&N has it available for purchase the same date is another issue. They seem to be very slow getting new titles posted.

@icebike,

We're talking about this one.

A Mighty Fortress (Safehold Series #4)

Frequent Contributor
Hmr28

Slaughter,

I am in the same boat you are ! I read about a book a day and there are not enough books published in a month to keep me happy!

Here are some particularly good authors (you have probably heard of them all but I am always happy to hear about a few more authors to gnosh on). Some are sci-fi, some fantasy and a lot of urban fantasy since that is where most of the books seem to be published.

S.L. Viehl (she has  several names this is her Sci Fi. incarnation) every book is excellent but the StarDoc series is amazingly good--ok ALL the books written in this name are excellent, she has a few spin offs from stardoc and a unique book written from the perspective of an aquatic alien.

julie czerneda

Maria V. Snyder (fantasy very very good-only the poision series her other adult books are not as good)

Michelle West, Michelle Sagara West, Michelle Sagara (she publishes under all three).

Linnea Sinclair

Morgan Howell

Rob Thurman
Kim Harrison
Mark Henry
Anton Strout
Rachel Vincent
Jeri Smith Ready
Lilith Saintcrow-Awesome! I loved both her series (Dante Valentine and Jill Kismet)
Nalini Singh (only her angel's blood/archangel's kiss series the rest of her stuff is more romance than urban fantasy)
Seanan McGuire
Caitlin Kittredge
M.L.N Hanover
Maria Lima
Jenna Black (you'll like the "devil" books better than her other series very good)
Patricia Briggs (hands down love her books=she also wrote fantasy sci-fi, all of her books in both her incarnations are excellent)
Jim Butcher
Devon Monk
kelly Meding (neat concept body snatching...)
Kat Richardson
Rachel Caine
Mark Del Franco
S.J.Day
Faith Hunter (all of her series are great)
Carole Nelson Dougles (she writes all kinds of books, make sure you are getting her urban fantasy stuff)
Simon R Green
Jennifer Estep-great book neat concept "spider's bite"
The kitty series by Carrie Vaughn
Tanya Huff
Pahedra Weldon (love this series)
Jeaniene Frost
Jocelynn Drake
jaye Wells
Gail Carriger (strange book, not sure how to categorize it, I liked it but it sort of reminded me of the Amelia Peabody books by Elizabeth Peters only with steampunk thrown in)
Vickie Pettersson
nancy Holzner

Ann Aguirre

As you can tell I can't get enough books so I have resorted to YA books because there just aren't enough out in a month to satisfy my cravings!
Some great books have been coming out in the YA sections and they are worth reading if you run out of other books (and even if you don't, i tend to peruse them more avidly now that I realize there are so many good books being put out in this section)

Kristin Cashore

Lilith Saintcrow writes as Lili Saintcrow in the YA section
Amber Kizer (Meridian-very unique book)

Kelly Armstrong

Cassandra Clare

Susan Beth Pfeffer

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Hmr28 wrote:

Slaughter,

I am in the same boat you are ! I read about a book a day and there are not enough books published in a month to keep me happy!

Here are some particularly good authors (you have probably heard of them all but I am always happy to hear about a few more authors to gnosh on). 

Stop it, Stop it....

My credit card is begging you to stop!!!

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@LarryOnLi

My local borders had the HC on sale yesterday (Saturday)...

Pre-ordering may not make sense to most people for e-books (though given the volatility in price thats not clear) but I tend to order books I think I will like when I learn about them...

@Icebike

I was commenting on a book mentioned earlier in the thread - the agency model was supposed to have the advantage that ebooks were available when the hardcover was  and it is frustrating to me that B&N seems to be slow getting them up compared to others...