Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Mandroid
0 Kudos

John Grisham ebooks now available

The weekly B&N email I received today mentions John Grisham ebooks are now available to purchase and download. 

Happy Reading!

"5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions"
Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Re: John Grisham ebooks now available

He must have just authorized ther release.  They are on the front page of the Amazon ebook page today as well.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

It would be nice if more authors and author's estates followed his lead.  There are many books published years ago that I would love to reread in ebook format.

Correspondent
thegogglestheydonothing
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

He must have just authorized ther release.  They are on the front page of the Amazon ebook page today as well.

Yes, Alley, the B&N email says exactly that. But thank you for once again making certain we all know the books are readily available on the kindle as well.

I am also waiitng for your reply in the other thread where you said non-proprietary books were available for kindle but haven't answered what you mean exactly.

Distinguished Correspondent
mpebbs
0 Kudos

The only problem is all of his ebooks are $9.99. I will pay more for some books than others, but I will never pay more for an ebook than for the DTB.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

mpebbs wrote:

The only problem is all of his ebooks are $9.99. I will pay more for some books than others, but I will never pay more for an ebook than for the DTB.

They are $7.99 at Amazon.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

thegogglestheydonothing wrote:

Alley415 wrote:

He must have just authorized there release.  They are on the front page of the Amazon ebook page today as well.

Yes, Alley, the B&N email says exactly that. But thank you for once again making certain we all know the books are readily available on the kindle as well.

I am also waiting for your reply in the other thread where you said non-proprietary books were available for kindle but haven't answered what you mean exactly.

Meaning I an go to outside sources like Gutenburg, Fictionwise, WPL, etc to get books that work on the Kindle as well.  Contrary to what many may believe, I am not locked into buying solely form Amazon.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Not to go off-topic but I believe the issue is that books purchased directly from B&N can be read on other devices as they are not in a proprietary format.  Books purchased directly from Amazon can not be read on other devices as they are in  a proprietary format.  I don't believe there is a problem reading non-Amazon books on the Kindle.

►Without order there is chaos◄
mpebbs
0 Kudos

WOOHOO on the 7.99 amazon price Alley. If I dump my much loved nook for a kindle do I get a pair of pompoms with it? Can I hang out with you on the nook board cheering kindle until everyone wants to scream at me too?

Correspondent
thegogglestheydonothing
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

Alley415 wrote:

He must have just authorized there release.  They are on the front page of the Amazon ebook page today as well.

I am also waiting for your reply in the other thread where you said non-proprietary books were available for kindle but haven't answered what you mean exactly.

Meaning I an go to outside sources like Gutenburg, Fictionwise, WPL, etc to get books that work on the Kindle as well.  Contrary to what many may believe, I am not locked into buying solely form Amazon.

I never said you were locked into BUYING from Amazon. I said you were locked into the kindle. Buying books in the Amazon format can only be read on the kindle. If you choose another ereader you are s.o.l. regarding those books. You seem hell bent on avoiding that point. I can buy DRM books that are not B&N format and take them with me if I choose another ereader.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

I never said you were locked into BUYING from Amazon. I said you were locked into the kindle. Buying books in the Amazon format can only be read on the kindle. If you choose another ereader you are s.o.l. regarding those books. You seem hell bent on avoiding that point. I can buy DRM books that are not B&N format and take them with me if I choose another ereader.

And you are the same with every pdb file you buy from B&N.

Correspondent
thegogglestheydonothing
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

Oh.My.God. No kidding, lady. have you really missed the point when i was specifically talking about non-B&N books? Are you really this dense? There is only one word to describe you, Alley - infrickinsufferable.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Not to go off-topic but I believe the issue is that books purchased directly from B&N can be read on other devices as they are not in a proprietary format.  Books purchased directly from Amazon can not be read on other devices as they are in  a proprietary format.  I don't believe there is a problem reading non-Amazon books on the Kindle.

I disagree. You can't read B&N ebooks on every ereader.  Kindle does not allow it.  The ibook software won't either although it isn't needed with the upcoming app.  In order for the B&N books to be readable on another device, that device has to support ADE and more specifically, the version that B&N uses (as was the issue with Sony and may still be since I haven't checked).

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Oh.My.God. No kidding, lady. have you really missed the point when i was specifically talking about non-B&N books? Are you really this dense? There is only one word to describe you, Alley - infrickinsufferable.

I can buy books in PDF from Fictionwise.  I can get the same from many other sources as well.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

B&N initially chose PDB because that was the common format for the software eReader.  But B&N is getting away from PDBs in favor of eBPUB, i.e., favoring a more open format.  Presumably, as PDB ebooks are republished in ePUB, everyone (well, everyone except those with a Kindle) will be able to download them in the new format.

The eq would be for Amazon to dump AMZ/MOBI in favor of an open format.

Let us know when they do that.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

I disagree. You can't read B&N ebooks on every ereader.  Kindle does not allow it.  The ibook software won't either although it isn't needed with the upcoming app.  In order for the B&N books to be readable on another device, that device has to support ADE and more specifically, the version that B&N uses (as was the issue with Sony and may still be since I haven't checked).

Yes.  Kindle does not allow reading a B&N book.  All others do I believe.  Can you tell me any other reader (EXCEPT FOR THE KINDLE) that will not allow reading a B&N book?  If I'm understanding you correctly all you're doing is emphasizing Kindle limitations.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
Tisha_PA
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

For anyone interested in buying the Grisham books, you can get most of them for 7.99 at Kobobooks and they have a $1.50 coupon code - grisham good for today and tomorrow. You can also get them at Fictionwise with a 100% rebate

mpebbs
0 Kudos

@Tisha... Thank you for informing us about the 7.99 books that we can actually put on our nooks versus the neener neener neener about amazon prices!

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It seems that B&N has noted the price differential between themselves and Amazon/Kobo and has lowered the price of some of Grisham's books to $7.99. 

Contributor
Bookie_Wookie
0 Kudos

Not all ePub readers can read Barnes and Nobles books.  For example, Spring Design's Alex.