Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Xemrac

Just a vent ...

Dear Barnes & Noble Booksellers ...

Please quit trying to hard-sell your membership plans to me until you are wiling to support Nook users.

Thank you.

Inspired Contributor
MAD70601

Re: Just a vent ...

I agree, totally, and I gave my first ever laurel to your post.

Mark

Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL

I agree as well.  I like 50 mins from the nearest BN.  I do not buy alot of DTB's so unless I am getting some sort of benefit from buying on the web and buying ebooks, the membership isn't worth much to me!

Contributor
bookshelfcat

Absolutely. I live about 20 minutes from the nearest B&N, but I don't get out in that way very often. I wont be paying for a membership until they offer one that includes discounts on ebooks. I haven't bought a paper book in about a year, so it would be a complete waste of money for me.

It would be wonderful to have one that offers a blanket 15% off or something for ebooks. 10% off nook accessories. And maybe some additional weekly specials with deeper discounts, like 40% off select titles. Or special deals if you walk in the store with you nook. I would gladly pay $25 for a year of that.

They sent me a survey a few months ago, asking me all kinds of questions about a digital membership, but they didn't give a lot of specific information. Hopefully they're working on it.

Jadjuka

Xemrac wrote:

Dear Barnes & Noble Booksellers ...

Please quit trying to hard-sell your membership plans to me until you are wiling to support Nook users.

Thank you.

Don't forget to add that when getting discounts or coupons for books in email, we want them to go toward ebooks as well!!!!!!

F14Scott

I suspect that Membership sales are mostly directed toward DTB consumers, since they are still free to purchase books from anywhere, i.e. the competition.  Selling you a membership sets the hook for you to buy only from B&N.

If you own a nook, the hook has been already set.  No reason to entice you with a discount.

Interesting how close "nook" and "hook" look like each other.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

Actually, there are various places to purchase books for the nook

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

DCLOVELL wrote:

I agree as well.  I like 50 mins from the nearest BN.  I do not buy alot of DTB's so unless I am getting some sort of benefit from buying on the web and buying ebooks, the membership isn't worth much to me!

You do get a benefit from buying on the web if you buy DTBs - free 3-day shipping.  But like you mentioned, you don't buy a lot of DTBs, so...

Frequent Contributor
pomtroll

This is one of the reasons I have stopped purchasing from B&N. I can get books elsewhere for my Nook. Just my way of protesting.

B&N Bookseller
MollyO
0 Kudos

You're in luck. We've recently reviewed our membership program and have added a benefit for NOOK customers. For new members or when it is time for a member to renew, there is now a $25 off NOOKcolor discount or $10 off an eInk NOOK. 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Membership-Join/379002828

Molly - CRM2723
Wordsmith
SCIONTX

MollyO wrote:

You're in luck. We've recently reviewed our membership program and have added a benefit for NOOK customers. For new members or when it is time for a member to renew, there is now a $25 off NOOKcolor discount or $10 off an eInk NOOK. 

That's a start. Those reading this forum more than likely already own a device though, so it's still of no immediate benefit.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

While it sounds nice, it simply means that you get a free membership with the purchase of a NOOK Color or get a membership for $15 when you purchase an eInk NOOK.  It still doesn't help anyone who doesn't buy paper books anymore.

keriflur

MollyO wrote:

I almost feel as if my intelligence has been insulted here....

I own an N2E.  So what good is $10 off a new one when the membership is $25, and I ALREADY HAVE A NOOK?

Inspired Contributor
Plucknbach

So now you get $10 off your N2e but have to pay $25 for membership you can't use with nook.

Net wise, you just paid $154 for your nook with a membership you can't use for ebooks.

:smileymad:

Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer, and Watch this..."
Contributor
EliseInAZ

No, you've added a benefit for new MEMBERS (not even current members like myself who might consider purchasing a newer nook). I'm not sure I'm even getting anything for a renewal. If I pay $25 for a membership and only get $10 off an eink nook, haven't I just lost $15 on this transaction?

Nook customers already own a nook. We'd like a discount on ebooks when we pay for a membership. Otherwise, as others have said, there's really no value in being a member for those of us who purchase mostly ebooks.

keriflur

EliseInAZ wrote:

No, you've added a benefit for new MEMBERS (not even current members like myself who might consider purchasing a newer nook). I'm not sure I'm even getting anything for a renewal. If I pay $25 for a membership and only get $10 off an eink nook, haven't I just lost $15 on this transaction?

Nook customers already own a nook. We'd like a discount on ebooks when we pay for a membership. Otherwise, as others have said, there's really no value in being a member for those of us who purchase mostly ebooks.

When you renew you will be able to get $10 off an eink nook or $25 off a nook color.  But you can't use it until your renewal occurs (you can't just select to renew, you have to wait until your current membership expires and the renewed membership starts).  If you already bought a new nook you're SOL.

Frequent Contributor
svsu

Just do what I did- I bought an ipad so that way I am not tied into any business format. I can buy books from Amazon, Apple, B&N, or Borders. DRM sucks and needs to be brought down!

Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae

[ Edited ]

I agree about the DRM part. I think it just limits your paying customers to get back at the non-paying ones.

Not too sure about the ipad part. I'm not sure the extra price is worth it if I just want an ereader. It's also a tad big if that's all I'm going to use it for. The advertising for Apple products make them seem revolutionary i.e. "only the iphone/ipad has the ibookstore". Seriously? I've been reading ebooks on a series of Palm PDAs/phones and Windows Mobile smartphones since (edit: time frame) the early to mid 2000's. Not that I don't enjoy my 2nd gen ipod touch, I just think the marketing drives a lot of their sales.

edit: I think it's just easier for B&N to say cart blanche to discounts on ebooks than to edit the membership to say "discounts only on non-Agency ebooks". Not an excuse for them, just maybe an explanation.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

svsu wrote:

Just do what I did- I bought an ipad so that way I am not tied into any business format. I can buy books from Amazon, Apple, B&N, or Borders. DRM sucks and needs to be brought down!

what if $499 (orwhatever it is) is way out of my budget?  or if I primarily use my ereader on the beach or outside (which is the case actually).  not the best solution really.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

So, even assuming that BN can't discount the ebooks themselves, that doesn't explain why they couldn't have a coupon for a new case or other accessories that have nothing to do with the publishers and the Agency model.  The point of discounts is to get people into the store so while an ebook discount wouldn't do it, something like that would.  And if said discount was only for BN Members (as opposed to all nook owners), that might entice more people to become members. 

Sorry, but this is Business 101.  It is cheaper to keep a customer than get one.