Contributor
jlee927
0 Kudos

Just got my Simple Touch and have some questions

[ Edited ]

For the most part, I love it. I just have a few questions since this is the first e-reader I've ever purchased.

I noticed that there is a slight flicker/dissolve effect with the page transitions which I can see becoming mildly annoying. If I were to compare this to anything, it would be those old 8-bit Nintendo games where scenes transition from one to the next in sort of a pixelly/dissolving fashion. Is this typical of e-readers using e-ink?

Also, does BN regularly update the software for their devices and do they download automatically onto my Simple Touch? Or is there somewhere in the menu where I can update the software manually?

Also, how do I access the free books? I couldn't find anything about the free books in the shop.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Re: Just got my Simple Touch and have some questions

jlee927 wrote:

For the most part, I love it. I just have a few questions since this is the first e-reader I've ever purchased.

I noticed that there is a slight flicker/dissolve effect with the page transitions which I can see becoming mildly annoying. If I were to compare this to anything, it would be those old 8-bit Nintendo games where scenes transition from one to the next in sort of a pixelly/dissolving fashion. Is this typical of e-readers using e-ink?

Also, does BN regularly update the software for their devices and do they download automatically onto my Simple Touch? Or is there somewhere in the menu where I can update the software manually?

Also, how do I access the free books? I couldn't find anything about the free books in the shop.

1. The "flicker/dissolve effect" you mention is indeed typical of e-ink readers although it is very much minimized on the Nook Simple Touch.

2. B&N does update the software for their ereaders although "regularly" is a very subjective term.  The original nook has had about 4-5 software updates since it was released and the nook color about 3.  The updates will be "pushed" to your device thru wi-fi when they are released.

3. Do a search for "0.00" in the shop and you should get a list.

Good luck . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

The (now very slight) page turn flicker will become invisible to your brain within a week.  In fact, I'm now on my 5th e-ink reader with the Nook Touch, and I'm having to get used to a much less noticeable page-turn effect than with other very recent readers.

(B&N, don't fix that!  It's a good thing, and I'm already getting used to it.)

I haven't read a paper book in three years, and I had become unable to read them before my first e-reader.  I hope your experience is as wonderful and life-changing as mine has been.

Inspired Contributor
crossword_lover
0 Kudos

DeltaT wrote:

The (now very slight) page turn flicker will become invisible to your brain within a week.  In fact, I'm now on my 5th e-ink reader with the Nook Touch, and I'm having to get used to a much less noticeable page-turn effect than with other very recent readers.

(B&N, don't fix that!  It's a good thing, and I'm already getting used to it.)

I haven't read a paper book in three years, and I had become unable to read them before my first e-reader.  I hope your experience is as wonderful and life-changing as mine has been.

DeltaT,

Why had you become unable to read paper books? I'm asking because I find eReaders fascinating.

Thanks!

Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

The type on regular books was too small for my aging eyes, and I have hand pain that makes them hard to hold. E-readers gave me back my love to read, and my Nook Touch is the best (for me) of all of them :-)