Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
jlee927
0 Kudos

Just got my Simple Touch and have some questions

[ Edited ]

For the most part, I love it. I just have a few questions since this is the first e-reader I've ever purchased.

I noticed that there is a slight flicker/dissolve effect with the page transitions which I can see becoming mildly annoying. If I were to compare this to anything, it would be those old 8-bit Nintendo games where scenes transition from one to the next in sort of a pixelly/dissolving fashion. Is this typical of e-readers using e-ink?

Also, does BN regularly update the software for their devices and do they download automatically onto my Simple Touch? Or is there somewhere in the menu where I can update the software manually?

Also, how do I access the free books? I couldn't find anything about the free books in the shop.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Re: Just got my Simple Touch and have some questions

jlee927 wrote:

For the most part, I love it. I just have a few questions since this is the first e-reader I've ever purchased.

I noticed that there is a slight flicker/dissolve effect with the page transitions which I can see becoming mildly annoying. If I were to compare this to anything, it would be those old 8-bit Nintendo games where scenes transition from one to the next in sort of a pixelly/dissolving fashion. Is this typical of e-readers using e-ink?

Also, does BN regularly update the software for their devices and do they download automatically onto my Simple Touch? Or is there somewhere in the menu where I can update the software manually?

Also, how do I access the free books? I couldn't find anything about the free books in the shop.

1. The "flicker/dissolve effect" you mention is indeed typical of e-ink readers although it is very much minimized on the Nook Simple Touch.

2. B&N does update the software for their ereaders although "regularly" is a very subjective term.  The original nook has had about 4-5 software updates since it was released and the nook color about 3.  The updates will be "pushed" to your device thru wi-fi when they are released.

3. Do a search for "0.00" in the shop and you should get a list.

Good luck . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

The (now very slight) page turn flicker will become invisible to your brain within a week.  In fact, I'm now on my 5th e-ink reader with the Nook Touch, and I'm having to get used to a much less noticeable page-turn effect than with other very recent readers.

(B&N, don't fix that!  It's a good thing, and I'm already getting used to it.)

I haven't read a paper book in three years, and I had become unable to read them before my first e-reader.  I hope your experience is as wonderful and life-changing as mine has been.

Inspired Contributor
crossword_lover
0 Kudos

DeltaT wrote:

The (now very slight) page turn flicker will become invisible to your brain within a week.  In fact, I'm now on my 5th e-ink reader with the Nook Touch, and I'm having to get used to a much less noticeable page-turn effect than with other very recent readers.

(B&N, don't fix that!  It's a good thing, and I'm already getting used to it.)

I haven't read a paper book in three years, and I had become unable to read them before my first e-reader.  I hope your experience is as wonderful and life-changing as mine has been.

DeltaT,

Why had you become unable to read paper books? I'm asking because I find eReaders fascinating.

Thanks!

Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

The type on regular books was too small for my aging eyes, and I have hand pain that makes them hard to hold. E-readers gave me back my love to read, and my Nook Touch is the best (for me) of all of them :-)