Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Arainais
0 Kudos

Re: Just had to return my nook for the dreaded bezel crack

All my account info is up to date so I'm not sure how it happened either.  I had to call customer service again and be on hold again and then get transferred again and then be on hold AGAIN, but I think I finally got it sorted out.  They are just sending me another new one (not sure what they are going to do about the one going to TX).  This time they sent me a tracking number with the new serial number.  I think I finally got a customer service rep who knew what he was doing.  He also extended the time period for me to return the old nook.  Two - Three more days and I should have my new nook in hand.

I'm just a little worried because I'm getting a certified pre-owned and I've read that some people have had bad experiences with their replacement nooks. Does anyone know if it's still possible to purchase the extended warrenty, or is that only something that happens when you originally buy your nook.  My original warrenty will expire Feb 8th, and I know I'll get a 90 day exstension from the replacement, but still I'd feel better if I could purchase an extended one.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Some of this depends on who you talk to and what access they have. A supervisor will have greater access than the kid just hired off the street. Sometimes you end up with someone like we encounter on these boards. They (like me) refuse to read their manuals until they encounter a problem.

My replacemnt is a pre-owned unit and you cannot tell the difference between it and new unit. According to B&N this is supposed to be the normal situation. Something else to consider, B&N sold a ton of pre-owned units. Those people are not swarming this board to complain about the condition of their unit or problems they are encountering. Mostly what you see are posts by people who are incensed that their replacement is or will be pre-owned in the first place.

The unit going to TX will be returned to them as non-deliverable. Other than that it is a matter between B&N and UPS.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

JohnP51 wrote:

Mine cracked awhile back but I've noticed no detrimental effects on my beloved nook. It still works and I still enjoy reading on it.

You're not planning on getting a replacement?  Or is it out of warranty?

Both. But I wasn't planning on it to start with. It still functions and there's no loss of usage. Its just a cosmetic problem. But that's me. Your mileage may vary.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

My bezel cracked while still under warranty so I called B&N immediately.  No hesitation.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
Arainais
0 Kudos

Well I got my new unit today, wahoo!  There's a spot on the screen that concerns me though.  It almost looks like there's a screen protector on it and it has a speck of dirt trapped underneath it, but there's no screen protector on it.  It's a little annoying, but totally livable if it's not something that would get worse.  Anyone have any ideas?

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Arainais wrote:

Well I got my new unit today, wahoo!  There's a spot on the screen that concerns me though.  It almost looks like there's a screen protector on it and it has a speck of dirt trapped underneath it, but there's no screen protector on it.  It's a little annoying, but totally livable if it's not something that would get worse.  Anyone have any ideas?

Sorry, I would call yet again and demand another replacement. That is out of spec from what BN promises. There should be no blemishes on the exterior especially the screen.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

I agree.  Call customer service.  The replacement should be "like new"...

►Without order there is chaos◄
Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

I agree.  Call customer service.  The replacement should be "like new"...

Add me to the call and get another one. This one doesn't sound like it meets the specs they promise. 

LisaB

New User
TikiDoll
0 Kudos

I seem to have developed "the crack problem" (a break in the case at the page turner button) much later than everyone else.  I purchased my Nook in February 2010, and the crack first appeared in October 2011.  Though I did buy the "extended warranty,"  Barnes and Noble will not honor it.  They have noted on my claim that the damage is due to user error. 

Not only did they send a "refurbished" Nook.  They sent one that was WiFi not my 3G model. And it arrived poorly packaged and a broken replacement.  Not to mention that as a refurbished replacement that means "used"-- which is to say this problem will occur again and sooner due to previous use before mine. 

Now I have the added frustration of sending "the replacement" back and start a claim with my credit card company to refuse the charges on the "replacement."  I DO NOT recommend spending any money on the "warranty".  Just expect the Nook to break shortly after the year on the manufacturer warranty (planned obsolescence period) and then toss it as another disposable device cluttering our planet with hazardous waste.

Distinguished Correspondent
gabourele
0 Kudos

TikiDoll how many times are you going to post this same message in this forum i seen this exact post in two or three other threads. Here is an idea .. take it to a bn store so it can be replaced there you have a two year protection plan.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.