Contributor
yunaGirl

Just saw the Kindle at Target - ACK!!! Nook is Better!!

So I stopped by a local Target today to take a look at the Kindle.  I've been looking to buy a Nook, but I wanted to see the Kindle first.  My initial impression was that the Kindle is UGLY!!!  It looks so ancient compared to the Nook.  And, I was so disappointed in the display Kindle that Target had out.  You couldn't actually *use* it.  It just had some demo stuff on there...you couldn't explore it like you can the Nook.

GO NOOK!  :smileyvery-happy:

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

Re: Just saw the Kindle at Target - ACK!!! Nook is Better!!

The local Walmart has two different models of Sony Readers on display. No literature, no power to the devices nothing. Bah!

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Frequent Contributor
svsu
0 Kudos

I saw demo at my local Target (it is a non functioning demo) and I actually think the Kindle looks better in person. The keyboard fits my fingers better than I thought. It is a non functioning demo so I cannot check out its features like page turning and menu etc....I am still sitting on the sidelines for my first ereader. I am going to wait for nook lite as Amazon will not add Epub format to the Kindle from what I hear so far.

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

svsu wrote:

I am still sitting on the sidelines for my first ereader. I am going to wait for nook lite as Amazon will not add Epub format to the Kindle from what I hear so far.

You've been registered here and posting comments for 6 months and still don't have an ereader yet?  Wow!  You've got way more willpower and self-control than I do!

You mentioned you are waiting for the "Nook Lite."  The last I heard, it was going to retail for $199 and be the same as the current Nook except not have 3G.  Right now, since B&N is offering a $50 gift card with the $259-Nook, that essentially means paying only $9 more for the current 3G-enabled Nook rather than waiting for the Nook Lite.  I know I've been tempted to buy my daughter one now rather than wait for the Lite version.  But in the end, I think I'll just wait for Nook 2 to come out and give her my current one.

Frequent Contributor
mdac
0 Kudos

I'm with DiAnneInDover. Unless you're waiting for the Nook2, go for the current version and use your $50 to get yourself a nice cover or case--you're going to want one anyway.

Speaking of other eReaders, I saw a couple of Sony models and was put off by the glare. At the wrong angle, you just can't see the text beyond the reflection of light.

I also considered waiting for the Kobo reader coming from Borders because it was going to be $100 cheaper than the Nook (a difference of only $50 with the gift card promo!). Weighing the features, though, I went with Nook and I'm glad I did. I probably could have gone without wifi or 3G (I actually ended up using both quite a bit), but I didn't want to be without note-taking and the dictionary.

Frequent Contributor
svsu
0 Kudos

I had the nook preordered last December then I saw all the negative posts so I cancelled it. I was tempted by the Kindle and now the Kobo so now I am looking once again at the nook. Then I was tempted by the ipad but decided to settle on a new laptop pc so now I need to save up a few dollars once again......I shall own one before the year is out .

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

I work at geeksquad, and my best buy has nook and sony, and 1 other reader on display. All have power and are able to be played with...best buy ftw!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Dyrinn45 wrote:

I work at geeksquad, and my best buy has nook and sony, and 1 other reader on display. All have power and are able to be played with...best buy ftw!

Our BB in Fullerton has non-working versions of both Sony and nook models.

Inspired Contributor
writeway
0 Kudos

Someone stopped in at work the other day with a Kindle and we were comparing them.  I toyed around with the Kindle a while and have to say that I like the Nook much better.   I've also had a chance to use the Sony as well..same thing.  The nook seems to be much more user friendly, and to me it just looks better!