Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

KIcked Off the Boards -- Anyone Else Seeing This?

Pretty frequently -- almost once a day, it seems -- I'll finish a multi-paragraph response to a posting here, hit post -- and be completely kicked off the boards.  All the way out.   It seems to happen most often if I've opened the B&N website in a new tab, to check a fact, a title, etc., but not always.

After logging back into my account, navigating back to the boards, re-opening the post to which I was responding and hitting "Reply", there's my Reply, saved and waiting for me, with a note to the effect of "This reply was never submitted.  Do you want to submit it now?"

I'm glad the reply isn't lost, but it seems like a strange way to run a railroad:  I can't tell whether it's a Lithium thing or a Firefox thing, or if Llithium and Firefox just don't play that well together.

Anybody else seeing it?

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Correspondent
mousetater
0 Kudos

Re: KIcked Off the Boards -- Anyone Else Seeing This?

Not sure what Lithium is (in this context) but I have been having a lot of trouble with Firefox freezing up on my lately. Usually it requires me to use task manager to shut it down.  When I relaunch it, it sometimes has a tab of the page I was on when it froze (although not always).  Did some searching on the web about Firefox freezing, and found a recommendation to go to Tools - Add-ons and disable any add-ons you don't HAVE TO have.  It has helped significantly.

ABthree
0 Kudos

@mousetater

Thanks. :smileyhappy:

Lithium is the software that runs these boards -- see the little label, below right, "Powered by *Lithium."

I get occasional Firefox freezes, too, but Firefox isn't freezing in this case; the boards/website are just kicking me back to Login.

-- St. Basil the Great+
Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

I haven't been seeing either happen, but then again, I have been a bit busy and not posting as often as I did a month ago.

The only Firefox problems (other than the occassional blowup) that I have is a stupid redirect issue (randomly  opens tabs to stupid advertisements, etc..) I even had to get rid of Google from the Firefox search box (I replaced it with the Secure Google Search) as fixing the search link never lasted long (if I could find the files doing this, they would be toast!) :smileyvery-happy:

I would tend to think it is a Lithium issue...

Something odd did happen on making this reply - the reply box was like three times taller than normal (i.e. about 6" tall on my screen, rather than its normal 2" tall).

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

I experience an occasional looooooong load time from page to page, but havent been disconnected yet... ( knock on wood )

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
ABthree
0 Kudos

@FrogAlum

I'm a fast typist but a slow thinker -- probably slower than you.  That could be why it happens to me more. :smileywink:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
pitbull42
0 Kudos

I recently switched browsers to Goggle Chrome.  No trouble posting with it.  I never used Firefox but Chrome is very good.  May want to give it a try if you continue to have the problem.

ABthree
0 Kudos

@pitbull42

I really like Chrome, too, but until Google issues a version that will support my Norton Toolbar, I'm afraid it's a non-starter for me. :smileyindifferent:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Hi ABthree,

Sorry you've been having this problem.  Can you tell me how long this has been going on?  Also can you tell me which version of Firefox you are using? 

Thanks

Jon

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
ABthree
0 Kudos

Jon_B wrote:

Hi ABthree,

Sorry you've been having this problem.  Can you tell me how long this has been going on?  Also can you tell me which version of Firefox you are using? 

Thanks

Jon

@ Jon_B

Thanks for the response.

I'm using Firfox 3.6.6; I noticed when I went to check that 3.6.7 is downloading in background now, so soon I'll be on 3.6.7

How long is hard to say.  At least a month, I'd say, but it could be longer.  I've noticed instabilities in the boards off and on since I registered in January.  Sorry I can't be more specific.

-- St. Basil the Great+
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

Do you have cookies turned off?

How long are you taking to compose the paragraph ?

A lot of web based boards use session cookies to keep track when a person has logged in.  Too long of a period of inactivity (ie sitting on a single page and not moving to the next or causing a page refresh) can cause the session to time out.   The time varies, but on many web servers it can be set to as low as 20 minutes

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

I've seen this too, especially If I stop typing to answer a phone or fill the coffee cup.
It posts it automatically, and kicks me out.

SlaughterS
0 Kudos

That does sound like a session time out problem then.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

Thanks for the info ABthree,

Can you tell me how long you spend writing the reply when this happens?  Does it happen when you are writing a shorter reply?

Also, have you tried deactivating your Norton toolbar and seeing if the problem still occurs? 

Thanks

Jon

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!