Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
mettleh3d
0 Kudos

Re: Kindle Books Now Available at over 11,000 Libraries

WIRELESSLY????????

>_<

Scribe
frantastk

mettleh3d wrote:

WIRELESSLY????????

>_<

From what I understand (from reading blogs and other message boards, and friends with Kindles) is that Kindle users still have to use their computer to check out the ebook, but then can turn their Kindle on and it will download it to the Kindle wirelessly. For me, if I already have my computer on to check out the book, it isn't a hardship to just plug it in to transfer. If you could checkout and download without turning on the computer at all, that might be a sweeter deal for me. And this is coming from someone who hates ADE with a white hot hate. I truly cannot begin to tell you how much I dislike ADE. It does seem to play a bit nicer with my N2E than my first nook, though. 

Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

With Amazon acting as the "concierge" on the books, Kindle borrowers can return the book early by going to the Manage My Kindle page.

This is going to become important as more users come online.  My Overdrive ADE library allows a either a 7 or 14 day lending period.  But if I finish a book before expiration, there does not seem to be a way to reutrn it, free up the license for someone else, and free up one of the 5 simultaneous books for myself to borrow a different one.

If anyone knows a way to do an early return for a Nook ADE/Overdrive book, I would welcome your expertise.

Correspondent
Byteguy

DeltaT wrote:

If anyone knows a way to do an early return for a Nook ADE/Overdrive book, I would welcome your expertise.

Two ways:

1) Hook up your nook, go into ADE, click on your nook (to see the library books on it), hit the arrow next th the title, choose "Delete" and ADE will ask if you want to RETURN and delete or just delete.

2) Just go into ADE and hit the arrow next to the copy in the ADE list.  Choose "return"

Both return the book instantly and frees up the license.

Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

Byteguy,

Thanks for the great instructions for returning library books early.  I suspected there was a way.

Our librarian didn't know, because the budget didn't allow for any training.  But she's really super, and I'll be sure to send this info to her.  I hope everyone who borrows e-books from libraries take care to return them a early as possible.

I'm still reading my first borrowed book, but it has a long waiting list and now I'll be able to return it 3 days early.:smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn
0 Kudos

What I find incredibly tedious (besides ADE, of course) is now it asks me to confirm I want the epub after I click on epub. People will stop reading those warning popups, if they even read it in the first place, then rant and rave when they click the wrong thing and act like Overdrive or their library caused the problem. (I anticipate my sister the librarian getting these rants, especially since everyone in her library directs all Overdrive questions to her without even attempting to help.)

I think it would have been better if there was a setting in Overdrive that, just like timeframes, it defaults to a preselected option and gives a dropdown on checkout if you want to change it.

Contributor
Concerned125

Yea, It's at my library too!  and it's a seemless download. Once you check out your Kindle book on Overdrive it directs you to the Amazon web page and then all you have to do is click on the library book button, your done! That easy, no side loading. OK B & N hear me when I scream NOOK USERS WANT AN OVERDRIVE APP. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm having Kindle envy ;-(

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Concerned125 wrote:

Yea, It's at my library too!  and it's a seemless download. Once you check out your Kindle book on Overdrive it directs you to the Amazon web page and then all you have to do is click on the library book button, your done! That easy, no side loading. OK B & N hear me when I scream NOOK USERS WANT AN OVERDRIVE APP. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm having Kindle envy ;-(

I agree that it is seamless. However, wireless downloading is only for the Kindle 3. All other Kindles have to sideload (since they don't have Wi-Fi, which is required for wireless downloading.)

Inspired Contributor
SirLoyne

I don't see what the big deal is about transferring a book wirelessly. I mean, it's like as other people say, if I spend a week reading a book I borrow from the library and want to return it a week early, I have to plug my Nook in anyway so I can got through Adobe Digital Editions to return it. While I'm plugged in I can just add another book, which, by the way, has to be done through Adobe Digital Editions. People are just hearing that someone else can do something they can't so they're acting like this is somehow putting them out. What you've been doing for years without a problem is all of a sudden a huge inconvenience? If you want to complain about something, go on about how you need to plug your Nook in to return or delete something in the first place

Personally I friggin' love my Nook Touch (or N2E if you prefer, not that I even know how people came up with that name). I was a little cranky at first about having only 236MB for myself but after having sideloaded 41 books and having 209MB left I can't even complain about that. I mean, I have the books on my computer, I can always delete them after I read them and just put them back on if I want to read them again. I didn't buy the thing to carry around the whole Library of Congress, I'm just a "book a week" reader.

Distinguished Correspondent
Nerdgirljenn
0 Kudos

I'm kinda with you Concerned125...This weekend I just spent 2 hours (well my husband did, I got frustrated at 15 minutes) fighting with ADE to sideload 2 library books(seems there was an issue with the "manifest" and we had to delete that file)...Oh how I hate that program...it is waaaaaaay too buggy...also seems if and when "Flash Player"  has an update(a security update this week), it tends to make their hated stepchild aka ADE, much more buggy and not work right with my Nook...every single time:smileymad:

BTW, I have a N1E wifi only...I'm pretty tech savy (my husband even more so)...but ADE can get both DH and I gnashing our teeth and hurling obscentities...

"The earth laughs in flowers."~Emerson
"Where there is love, there is life." ~Ghandi
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

SirLoyne wrote:

Personally I friggin' love my Nook Touch (or N2E if you prefer, not that I even know how people came up with that name). 

N2E=Nook 2nd Edition

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

If you own an iPhone, you can download the Overdrive app and return your books early on it. I know the app is also available for Android phones, but I do not know if it has the "early return" feature.
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

The best thing about the approach Amazon is using is that if BN were to emulate it, it should work across every Nook ever made since the management of the lending process is done at the Amazon (BN) library level and not on the device.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

The best thing about the approach Amazon is using is that if BN were to emulate it, it should work across every Nook ever made since the management of the lending process is done at the Amazon (BN) library level and not on the device.

This is why I'm so happy that Amazon is doing this in such a great way.  It pushes B&N to provide a similar experience.

Correspondent
FulltimeRVer
0 Kudos

NikiGunn wrote:

What I find incredibly tedious (besides ADE, of course) is now it asks me to confirm I want the epub after I click on epub. People will stop reading those warning popups, if they even read it in the first place, then rant and rave when they click the wrong thing and act like Overdrive or their library caused the problem. (I anticipate my sister the librarian getting these rants, especially since everyone in her library directs all Overdrive questions to her without even attempting to help.)

I think it would have been better if there was a setting in Overdrive that, just like timeframes, it defaults to a preselected option and gives a dropdown on checkout if you want to change it.

I encountered that yesterday.

I inadvertently selected the Kindle version of the book I wanted.  Once I checked it out, the Adobe ePub version was no longer available, of course.  The only way to return the Kindle version that I had checked out was to install Kindle for PC and return it from there.

It was a nuisance.  It would be nice if the Overdrive search interface would be changed to allow you to select which Adobe ePub version you want to display on the results list, but after Kindle for PC is installed it's at least possible to recover from that mistake.

Dave
Inspired Contributor
SirLoyne
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
"I inadvertently selected the Kindle version of the book I wanted.  Once I checked it out, the Adobe ePub version was no longer available, of course.  The only way to return the Kindle version that I had checked out was to install Kindle for PC and return it from there.

It was a nuisance.  It would be nice if the Overdrive search interface would be changed to allow you to select which Adobe ePub version you want to display on the results list, but after Kindle for PC is installed it's at least possible to recover from that mistake."

I don't know how your states online library works, but here in NH they make it pretty obvious that there are two formats and if you pick the wrong one it's because you weren't paying attention.

Right click and view image if you want it larger.

lib

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

That is pretty much how the Central Ohio works as well.

Inspired Contributor
ilenekm
0 Kudos

I also got a pop-up asking me to confirm that I really wanted the ePUB format at the DC library