AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

Re: Kindle Fire $199, Kindle Touch $99, Kindle $79

My understanding is that the "advertising" on the Kindle is only on the screen saver.  I could be wrong since I've never actually seen Kindle advertising.

Personally that wouldn't bother me a bit.  I don't focus on the screensavers.  I focus on the book I'm reading.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Correspondent
rfruth
0 Kudos

I don't mind some non itrusive adds, wonder if we'll see that on a Nook in the not too distant future ?  

N1E - HD+ soon ?
Reader 4
decemberroses
0 Kudos

I started out with a Kindle, and ended up buying three. I thought I would never be interested in a Nook.  Not because I hate B&N, or anything like that.  Just didn't think it would interest me. Then a few months ago, I touched a Nook Color and loved it, so I bought one. Both companies have pros and cons, but I feel both products are basically very high standard and quality. I may buy more Nooks in the future because I do like the NC better than the Kindle Fire (from what I have read, of course, since it's not out yet).  I just ordered one of the new Kindle touches for me though. I happen to use the 3G because I travel a LOT, and don't always have wireless.  My current Kindle 3 will go to my husband.  I have 100s of Kindle books, so I didn't want to lose them. I got the ad version because a lot of people said the money they saved on some of those deals for things they get anyway paid for their Kindle. We'll see.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm not an e-book reader but I have considered buying one. As a perspective e-book reader these are some of things I've taken into consideration in order of importance:

(1) Which e-book model will emerge as the standard?

(I happen to be around for the beta vs. vhs war. I remember a universal acknowledgment that the beta was better, but the cheaper and more plentiful vhs emerged as the standard.)

(2) How do the different models compare on price, features and ease of operation?

(Seems like Amazon is now offering e-book readers at lower prices.)

(3) What model offers the most books?

(Unfortunately, I've occasionally seen Amazon offering Kindle formatted e-books w/out the comparable Nook e-book being offered by B&N.)

(4) What model offers the easiest/best customer service?

(This issue is debatable. B&N does have stores where a person can bring in a nook for some issues. Also, I'm not sure how people rate Kindle customer service.)

Does  anyone know how Consumer Reports has rated e-readers?    

Frequent Contributor
pughugs
0 Kudos

I think what many people are missing is the issue of privacy and security with the Amazon's use of Cloud to store information.  This past week, there has been many articles from various sources (PC World, ComputerWorld to jsu tname a couple), discussing the issue of privacy and security concerning the cloud.  PC world has an article called:  Amazon Silk: The Pros and Cons, very informative.  I had recently placed an order for a Kindle Fire but after reading several of the articles, I canceled my order.  To my knowledge, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, Nook doesn't use a cloud storage.  This is the main reason that I am considering getting a NC or waiting for the NC2.  I currently am an owner of a N1E and a Kindle3.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

dalnewt --

I'm not a soothsayer not do I play one on TV but you can figure this:

(1) Kindle will probably be a defacto standard for some time to come because Amazon is the 800 lb gorilla in the room and will NOT go away.  However, it's unlikely Amazon will be able to kill EPUB as an international standard -- they're big but they're not THAT big.  Think of this as PC vs. Mac rather than VHS vs. Beta.

(2) If you compare like to like, the touch readers are roughly the same.  Amazon is offering their touch reader for $40 less but only if you get ad content -- to get a similar product as the Nook Simple Touch, you'll have to pay the same $139.  The color readers are comparable and it looks like Amazon will win on price but we don't know what B&N's response will be -- lowering their price 10% would be fair but they'll honestly probably have to have some $199 option because a lot of people look at price and only price.  In terms of features, Amazon's touch does come in a 3G variety while the Nook does not -- that may or may not be important to you.  The Kindle Fire will have 5 GB of free cloud storage but no microSD card slot for sideloading; personally, I'd rather have the card slot.

As far as ease of operation -- you'll have to play with both.  One person's ease is another person's lack of flexibility or complexity.  I like the interface on the NC and NST and would not like the Kindle Touch if rumors of the death of swipe and most of the screen being page forward are true.

(3) Apples and oranges when you talk about which model offers the most books.  What you should really do is look at the books you want to read.  I would say that it's unlikely any major publisher will NOT create a Kindle version of their ebook just because of the size of Amazon's market but I've found all the books I want to read (and then some) in EPUB format.

(4) Customer service here is debatable.  Do you even have a brick-and-mortar B&N near you?  Is their Nook guru up to speed?  It's hard for Amazon to compare to a real live human who knows his or her stuff but a lot of people aren't near a B&N, not all store gurus are as good as mine :smileyvery-happy:, and Amazon seems to have better service over the phone (from what I can tell from the forums -- never had to deal with it myself).

I wouldn't count on Consumer Reports for a review.  Look at CNET or BYTE or a similar computer-related reviewer.  I used to love Consumer Reports for reviews of refrigerators, toaster ovens, cars, etc. but their computer reviews were always horrible (as in the reviewer didn't know what s/he was talking about).

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

Omnigeek wrote:

dalnewt --

I wouldn't count on Consumer Reports for a review.  Look at CNET or BYTE or a similar computer-related reviewer.  I used to love Consumer Reports for reviews of refrigerators, toaster ovens, cars, etc. but their computer reviews were always horrible (as in the reviewer didn't know what s/he was talking about).

Personally I would look on the net for "real person" reviews.  CNET reviews have gone downhill these past years in my opinion.  I actually trust individual blog reviews more than CNET these days.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Omnigeek wrote:

dalnewt --

The latest e-reader reviews in Consumer Reports rated the Nook Simple Touch as number one with the Kindle 3 3g number two.  I don't think the Kindle Touch is going to dethrone the Nook Siimple Touch because, like others have mentioned, the Kindle Touch includes some weird design functions, like devoting most of the screen to page forward and eliminating turn buttons.

Frequent Contributor
mettleh3d
0 Kudos

AndyfromVA wrote:

Omnigeek wrote:

dalnewt --

The latest e-reader reviews in Consumer Reports rated the Nook Simple Touch as number one with the Kindle 3 3g number two.  I don't think the Kindle Touch is going to dethrone the Nook Siimple Touch because, like others have mentioned, the Kindle Touch includes some weird design functions, like devoting most of the screen to page forward and eliminating turn buttons.

Like this entire thread, it's all speculation.  Kindle Touch is not yet released so how can Consumer Reports rank a product that's still in the pipes?

RHWright

mettleh3d wrote:

AndyfromVA wrote:

Omnigeek wrote:

dalnewt --

Like this entire thread, it's all speculation.  Kindle Touch is not yet released so how can Consumer Reports rank a product that's still in the pipes? [emphasis added]

Go back and read, please. It says they rated the NOOK Simple Touch versus the Kindle 3. Both are currently available.

The poster speculated that, based on the announced specs, when the Kindle Touch does get released, they believe it won't outrank the N2E.

Contributor
AmySay
0 Kudos

New User
kayakfan
0 Kudos

I compared the original nook with the original kindle and bought a nook.

When BN came out with the Color Nook, I bought one for my wife,  Then added one for myself.

However, right now, the Kindle Fire's hardware specs beat the Color Nook hands down.  With the Color Nooks replacement still in rumor state with no details that I can find, come Christmas my family may add the Kindle Fire to our tech arsenal.

New User
BiffRH
0 Kudos

BN still does not have a cover with a built in light for the Nook Touch!!!  I will be switching to the Kindle Touch if Amazon releases a cover with built in light prior to BN.

keriflur
0 Kudos

BiffRH wrote:

BN still does not have a cover with a built in light for the Nook Touch!!!  I will be switching to the Kindle Touch if Amazon releases a cover with built in light prior to BN.

And then do what, rebuy all your books?  LOL.  There are some great lights out there, like the kandle.  Just do a search of the forums to find them.

Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

BiffRH wrote:

And then do what, rebuy all your books?  LOL.  There are some great lights out there, like the kandle.  Just do a search of the forums to find them.

But Amazon is selling 2 cases  for the N2E w/ a light:

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Lighted-Leather-Zing-Screen/dp/B005E1KH08

and

http://www.amazon.com/Barnes-Noble-Multi-View-Leather-Accessory/dp/B005OE6Q3W/ref=sr_1_3?s=electroni...

You'd be supporting Amazon and getting what you want!

Also, I'm not sure how many people know that Amazon and Barnes & Noble DRM for ebooks are incompatible; it does bear repeating though.

Frequent Contributor
bjmbarb
0 Kudos

Are you kidding me?  I love my N1E which I purchased full price when they first arrived on the scene but I am going with Kindle/Amazon.  Primary is the number of books the Kindle can store as opposed to the N2E.  Also if you have more than one Kindle you can designate which one or all your newly purchased book should be downloaded on. With B&N goes everywhere.  Whatever possessed B&N to put out an N2E with what 400 book availability?  I still want an E ink screen. for reading..but a tablet would also be nice for some of the extra stuff. And to be able to read my current book on either would be nice too. But 400?  Give me a break.  I think I have purchased my last E book from B&N...the new Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire will be a fine pair.  Kindle Touch can hold 3000 Ebooks.  I had thought about a Nook Color and the N2E but I wanted something more...like more direct download books from the mothership (I do not side load...bought everything direct from B&N).  I do not know all the techie stuff but this pair just looks like it will fit the bill.  As I said I love my N1E and have lots of books (I am a big book shopper) but appreciate what the Kindle pair would do.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos

bjmbarb wrote:

Are you kidding me?  I love my N1E which I purchased full price when they first arrived on the scene but I am going with Kindle/Amazon.  Primary is the number of books the Kindle can store as opposed to the N2E.  Also if you have more than one Kindle you can designate which one or all your newly purchased book should be downloaded on. With B&N goes everywhere.  Whatever possessed B&N to put out an N2E with what 400 book availability?  I still want an E ink screen. for reading..but a tablet would also be nice for some of the extra stuff. And to be able to read my current book on either would be nice too. But 400?  Give me a break.  I think I have purchased my last E book from B&N...the new Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire will be a fine pair.  Kindle Touch can hold 3000 Ebooks.  I had thought about a Nook Color and the N2E but I wanted something more...like more direct download books from the mothership (I do not side load...bought everything direct from B&N).  I do not know all the techie stuff but this pair just looks like it will fit the bill.  As I said I love my N1E and have lots of books (I am a big book shopper) but appreciate what the Kindle pair would do.

I have all three NOOKs and I love them all.  I love using my N2E the most, but I can't disagree with you.  I'm this close--| |--to buying a Kindle Touch just so I'll have room for all of my ebooks.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

bjmbarb wrote:

I have all three NOOKs and I love them all.  I love using my N2E the most, but I can't disagree with you.  I'm this close--| |--to buying a Kindle Touch just so I'll have room for all of my ebooks.

Why do you not archive your ebooks? I have 133 unread books on my Nook, and 435 read archived books.

Who needs more than 400 books to be available immediately?

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Why do folks seem to have a problem with storing books on the Nook?  Simply buy a micro SD card and you can have virtually unlimited storage.  In contrast, the Kindles don't have a micro SD card slot.

I've been looking at the new Kindles myself but the number of books that can be stored is not a factor in favor of the Kindles.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:

Nallia wrote:

bjmbarb wrote:

Why do you not archive your ebooks? I have 133 unread books on my Nook, and 435 read archived books.

Who needs more than 400 books to be available immediately?

Because I don't want them archived on my NC.  My NC has plenty of storage space and I should be able to use it.  I shouldn't be forced to archive books if I don't want to.

Who needs more than 400 books available immediately?  I do.  Just as I can pull any book off my shelf, any time I want to, in my physical library at home, I expect to be able to do the same on my NOOKs.  It is my choice to keep my books on my devices and I should be able to make it if I want to.

AndyfromVA wrote:

Why do folks seem to have a problem with storing books on the Nook?  Simply buy a micro SD card and you can have virtually unlimited storage.  In contrast, the Kindles don't have a micro SD card slot.

I've been looking at the new Kindles myself but the number of books that can be stored is not a factor in favor of the Kindles.

I have a micro SD card for my N1E, my NC, and my N2E, and I only use it in my NC and only for video and image files.  I buy all of my ebooks from B&N right now and have no desire to sideload.  I did it in the past with my N1E and found that I just do't care for it and prefer not to.  No, it isn't difficult, but I have no desire to use additional software to manage my library on my device.  I also feel that I shouldn't have to sideload the books I bought from B&N just because they decided to go backwards and provide me less space than I have on one of their previously released devices.  And, again, it goes back to not wanting to be forced to archive my books on my NC by default.\

If I move to Kindle I won't sideload on it either.