Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

Re: Kindle Fire $199, Kindle Touch $99, Kindle $79

Hang on... I don't understand your comment that the nook cannot store all books on the device while the kindle can?? Seems to be the opposite: the nook has a micro SD slot that allows expanding the memory to 40 GB without even having to swap out cards... The kindle fire by comparison requires that you store any content beyond the partial 8 gb in the device in the cloud, and no SD expansion possible... So you basically need to rely on a wifi connection to even gain access to your extended library... Did I misunderstand what you were saying? I don't see why inserting an SD card is a shortcoming vs having no SD expansion and cloud storage?
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

The points you are missing are these: 1. There is only about 750 MB available for B&N content on the N2E, which is less than what is available on the N1E, though they have the same amount to total storage space. 2. Some people have no desire to archive and then sideload their B&N content and lose the benefits that downloading directly to the device comes with. The device was made to download B&N content over the air, and some prefer to use it that way. For some, being able to keep a larger library on a device before needing to sideload is important. Particularly if you use multiple devices (see my next point). 3. If you also have a NOOK Color, you will be unable to utilize all of the storage space allotted for B&N content on it--especially if you have one with the new partition. Once you archive books on the N2E they are automatically archived on the NC as well. There is no way to avoid this complete waste of space. The same goes for those who don't have a NC but use the NOOK for Android app on a tablet or use an iPad. This last point is the biggest issue, to me. As I have already stated, I have SD cards in all of my NOOK devices. I also rarely use them because I only buy my books from B&N and have no desire to sideload books that were made to automatically download to the device. I don't care what other people do. I do what works for me and that's that.
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

Nallia wrote:
..... I don't care what other people do. I do what works for me and that's that.

I call your period and raise you an explanation point.

I don't care what you do and that's that!

:smileyvery-happy:

Nallia
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:
I don't even remember writing that! That's what I get for posting late at night. :smileyvery-happy:

I post before my first coffee after waking. WTF is an explanation point? :smileysurprised:

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:

I post before my first coffee after waking. WTF is an explanation point? :smileysurprised:

Actually "WTF" is an acronym, not an explanation point... :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Nallia
0 Kudos
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

Seems what they need to do is, software wise: just make bought BN books movable to the SD storage on device... In fact, by default, make it do that once your internal memory is full, have the nook search for the equivalent folder on the SD card, or create one... And have new download content download direct to the SD... Also, have the libraries automatically search the SD card fir content and populate the libraries with any books, etc. found there... Or: as the kindle fire seems to do with cloud drive, have a toggle in each section of the library between SD and the internal storage, and be able to "download from storage"... Basically also, bought content shouldn't need to be "archived" to be removed from device, there should be a function to "unload" a book, which is basically the opposite of the "download" function for bought but not yet downloaded content... You should be able to free up memory by unloading a book from the device but it should still show up as an icon, just have the download symbol on it, same as when you first bought it...