Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
pck1217
0 Kudos

Lack of emagazines

I am disappointed by the lack emagazines available for download.  I contacted Newsweek and they said " Newsweek is available through Nook.  Please contact Barnes & Nobles for more information."  However, Barnes and Noble replied when asked "Newsweek will be featured in the near future."  Back in November when I was researching buying the nook, Newsweek, among many others, was listed as a magazine that would be offered in the emagazines.  What is the hold up?

Frequent Contributor
EagleEyez
0 Kudos

Re: Lack of emagazines

If you dont mind connecting your nook to PC, check out Calibre software. They have newsweek and lots of other newspaper and magazies.

Frequent Contributor
AnacondaCamp
0 Kudos

@EagleEyez...are you sure you're talking about Calibre? They are software for managing your "e" publications of all sorts. But I've never found them selling books, newspapers or eMags.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest

In addition to managing epublications, Calibre has the ability to download and format content from various providers.

As delivered, Calibre has a large number of scripts to grab feeds (mostly RSS) from sources available on the 'Net, both free and paid-subscriptions.  You can also write your own script to grab feeds from sources not included by default.

The Newsweek feed comes under the heading of free, although it doesn't provide access to the entire magazine.

If you're interested in seeing what other publications are supported, open Calibre and click on the "Fetch News" icon.  Expand the "English" menu item and you will see over 150 publications, most free.

Contributor
klauver
0 Kudos

This site is great.  I download USA Today, Newsweek, the free version of the WSJ, Gizmodo, PC Mag etc.

I just schedule them to download at night and when I wake up they are in a News folder under My Documents ready to read!

If you join, please contribute, this is freeware, supported only by your generosity.

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
klauver wrote:

This site is great.  I download USA Today, Newsweek, the free version of the WSJ, Gizmodo, PC Mag etc.

I just schedule them to download at night and when I wake up they are in a News folder under My Documents ready to read!

If you join, please contribute, this is freeware, supported only by your generosity.

When you say "this site is great" are you referring to Calibre, as eD mentioned?  I have Calibre but I haven't really used it yet for grabbing news and magazines.  Maybe I'm too busy here being confuntational!

Anyway, to the original poster - you might consider foregoing Newsweek and subscribing to the Nation.  It has much more in-depth, thoughtful reporting than Newsweek - but, be forewarned, it does have a liberal slant.  So if you like Beck and Rush, it's probably not for you.  If you do like those guys then consider National Review - same advantages with a more conservative slant.  B&N has a free 14-day trial, so what do you have to lose?

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
New User
pck1217
0 Kudos

Thank you so much.  I just downloaded the software and loaded my Newsweek.  The selection is great.

Contributor
knebel22

klauver wrote:

Same thing here. I specifcally wanted USA today as it was listed as available.

Still not.

I read about Calibre and tried it. Works great.

I am so impressd that I made a donation. Which I have never done for a free site before.

The site is constantly being updated and the developer listens to the users.

I now have USA today. :smileyhappy:Thanks Calibre.

Denise

Frequent Contributor
EagleEyez
0 Kudos

Now that you have taken the first step of using Calibre, why not take the next step. Softroot your nook (google softroot nook) and you can transfer the calibre content (books, magazines, newspaper etc) over your home network to your nook wirelessley.

Haven't done it myself yet but have been contemplating softrooting my nook,