Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
kritter217
0 Kudos

Libraries That Issue Cards to Non Residents?

I know that some libraries will issue a library card to non residents.  I thought it would be nice to get some feedback from people if you are aware of a library that does this AND offers Nook friendly ebooks for check out. 

Anyone?

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
J.R.R. Tolkien - The Fellowship of the Ring
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Re: Libraries That Issue Cards to Non Residents?

I can tell you that the New York Public Library issues cards for non-residents if you work in NY.  I live in NJ and have a NYPL card.

Possibly other libraries do the same thing?

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
psjcal
0 Kudos

The Los Angeles County Public Library offers cards to non-residents. I live in Orange County & have an LA County card. So far It is the only card I have used as it has a better supply of eBooks than OC.

Frequent Contributor
Adenium
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I searched around for this quite a bit with little luck.  NYPL used to do this for non-residents, but now you have to live or work in the state.  San Diego has a nice big collection, and says on the website you can apply for a $30 annual fee or so, but when I contacted them they said you have to pick up the card in person.  So......since I live in CT I think that'll have to wait for a vacation splurge. 

I just ended up doing lots of searches online and checking individual library sites.  There's a mobile reader forum somewhere with a link to a list of book sources that mentions some libraries, but yes they require you to be in state or come pick it up.  DC is the same issue.    In the meantime, I have borrowed my mom's library card to get access to CT's 201 ebook offerings.  Yup, every library in the state that has ebooks pulls from the same grand total.  Sigh. 

Also, I'm guessing you are aware of this, but if you want to check a library's offerings you can go to the Overdrive website and put in the zip code, then pick the library and see what they have. 

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

I have library cards to the Harris County Public Library and the Arlington Public Library.  I was able to get them for free as long as I was a Texas resident and showed up with ID to get the card.  I'll be checking with the Dallas Public Library now that they are going to have e-books.  Another poster said that the Denton Public Library charges a fee to non-residents.  I haven't checked San Antonio but will if I get down that way to get a card.

Frequent Contributor
kritter217
0 Kudos

I just did a little research of my own and I found out that the Chicago Public Library will issue a card to a non resident who has a library card from a reciprocal library.  You can go to this link to see a list of reciprocal libraries.  There are quite a few (all of them in Illinois),  They seem to have quite a few more titles than the Illinois library my card is issued at, so I hope to do this. Unfortunately you do have to apply for the card in person. 

http://www.chipublib.org/howto/library_card.php

Frequent Contributor
Tammke
0 Kudos

The City of Virginia Beach will issue a library card to any resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia or Knotts Island, NC  (no other out of state residents though).  There is no cost for the card but you do have to apply in person.

City of Virginia Beach Library

Inspired Contributor
book_werm
0 Kudos

I was just researching libraries last night.  As an FYI, most libraries in your state will give you a library card if you have a license or some proof of residency.  I'm in LA (love county of la pub library!), and am trying to find a reason to make a quick trip to San Diego and San Francisco to get their cards, too... :-)

As for out of state, Seattle public library has a large epub and pdf collection (over 3K of each type, I believe), and their out of state fee is $85.  It was kind of pricey for me, so I decided to pass...

Frequent Contributor
Rich_D
0 Kudos

The Philadelphia Free Library will sell out of state residents a card for $15 a year, plus you can apply online.  If you are a resident of PA, it is free.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Rich_D wrote:

The Philadelphia Free Library will sell out of state residents a card for $15 a year, plus you can apply online.  If you are a resident of PA, it is free.

If you live out of state you have to mail in your application with a check for $15. I live in Texas and that is what I do.

Inspired Correspondent
nickels
0 Kudos

Reader 4
durblady
0 Kudos

Thank you for the suggestion regarding library cards to non-residents.  I searched for public libraries with Overdrive technology (the primary eBook technology) and am now a non-resident member of the Hennepin County library in Minnesota.  They allow anyone with a MN library card to register, at no additional cost, and have a pretty good selection of eBooks available to borrow.

Frequent Contributor
Adenium
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the tips guys!  I'm going to check out the Philadelphia and Seattle options.  It's tough being in one of the not-so-blessed library zones.  These forums have been such a help all around.

Seattle update: I thought there was a reason this hadn't worked before.....for any out-of-staters thinking of this library, their non-resident cards are only available to those in WA state.  Rats. 

Frequent Contributor
kritter217
0 Kudos

As an update to my original posting - I applied for a card at The Free Library of Philadelphia. It is 15.00 per year for out of state residents and you can print the application from their website (sorry, don't have the link but just Google Free Library of Philadelphia).  It took about 3-4 weeks for them to process my application and I got my card yesterday.  Their selection of Ebooks is really good and I was able to get a current title (Linda Fairstein's Hell Gate) immediately without being put on a waiting list!  Very happy so far. 

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

kritter217 wrote:

As an update to my original posting - I applied for a card at The Free Library of Philadelphia. It is 15.00 per year for out of state residents and you can print the application from their website (sorry, don't have the link but just Google Free Library of Philadelphia).  It took about 3-4 weeks for them to process my application and I got my card yesterday.  Their selection of Ebooks is really good and I was able to get a current title (Linda Fairstein's Hell Gate) immediately without being put on a waiting list!  Very happy so far. 

Or check all the current threads in the eBooks forum...  Michael, can you please combine these?

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

I tried to start a thread like this a month ago, but nobody really added anything to it, so I'll repeat my post here. 

Ohio has two state-wide ebook libraries (Ohio Ebook Project and SEO something-or-other).  You have to be a member of a participating library to use it.  My library does not participate; however, there is a library simply called "The State Library of Ohio" which is open to any Ohio resident and the process is done online.  With that library card, any Ohioian can access the Ohio eBook Project.  Here are links:

Ohio eBook Project:  http://ohdbks.lib.overdrive.com/ACE513ED-372C-46BC-BEBB-E90409A645C5/10/364/en/default.htm

SEO Library Consortium:  http://seoebook.seo.lib.oh.us/11FA7EA5-121B-4418-887D-3D1BFE073E67/10/253/en/Default.htm

State Library of Ohio: http://www.library.ohio.gov/

Frequent Contributor
worthmaur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Frequent Contributor
worthmaur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
kritter217 wrote:

Thanks for the update! I was about to post to inquire if anyone had received their Free Philly card. It's been about three weeks since I mailed my application, so I should be getting it pretty soon!

Please excuse the duplication!

Reader 4
DebOC
0 Kudos

Kansas City Mo public library offers library cards to any resident of Missouri or Kansas. You can apply online and they will mail the card to you.  You finish activating your card by email. They have a selection of eBooks and audiobooks.

Correspondent
chefclaire
0 Kudos

durblady wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion regarding library cards to non-residents.  I searched for public libraries with Overdrive technology (the primary eBook technology) and am now a non-resident member of the Hennepin County library in Minnesota.  They allow anyone with a MN library card to register, at no additional cost, and have a pretty good selection of eBooks available to borrow.

darn it! I knew I shouldn't have gotten rid of my Northfield Public Library Card after I graduated from College!