Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
OPDwife
0 Kudos

Library Organization

Hey everyone!  What are the ways you are organizing your library with the new update?  Just curious.  I have a reading now shelf.  What other categories do you have?

When I get a little money I buy books, if any is left, I buy food and clothes
Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
0 Kudos

Re: Library Organization

Since I found out that you can have a single book on multiple shelves...whooo!

I have:  To Be Read, Read, Samples

I will add: To Purchase, Highly Recommend, Favorites (5 Star books), and if there's a large series of books such as WoT or Wizard's First Rule (please please please be an ebook!), etc, then I will create a shelf for that Series.

Unfortunately, what I've found and read here is you cannot organize within the shelf. Which is a slight bummer because it would make sense to have the books in order, especially if the metadata is messed up or doesn't have "Book 1, Book 2," etc.   It's certainly an improvement! 

Distinguished Correspondent
mousetater
0 Kudos

I am going to start with Reading Now, Non-Fiction, PubIT!, Next to Read, and Classics.  Once I see what's left I might add other shelves.  Possibly one for anything I have gotten for free.

Bibliophile
laurieb52

I've organized by type - romance, cookbooks, non-fiction, historical, suspense, reference, plus samples.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Correspondent
OPDwife
0 Kudos

As I am setting up my library organization, I realized how many books I had started to read and got distracted by a new book(s) I downloaded (especially when we had all those weeks of free B&N classics  :smileyhappy:)  Now I can readily see how many books I have started.  I have also made categories for poetry, epics, thrillers, Christian, politics/patriotic.....  Trying to figure out if I want to just make a "classics" category for all those free classics we got, or break them up even more than I already have....hmmmm

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Fantasy, Fantasy - Paranormal/Urban, Fiction, Classics, Children, Food/Nutrition.

I love having the shelves, but I miss my book titles being under one author category when I use them.  I wouldn't mind as much if the title of each shelf was bigger than the book titles.  It just looks so crowded to me now.

Inspired Correspondent
OPDwife
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

Fantasy, Fantasy - Paranormal/Urban, Fiction, Classics, Children, Food/Nutrition.

I love having the shelves, but I miss my book titles being under one author category when I use them.  I wouldn't mind as much if the title of each shelf was bigger than the book titles.  It just looks so crowded to me now.

I understand that thought, but it helps me to always use the "go to shelf" button and then I know I am looking at only the books on that shelf.  I am not missing going by page after page of the titles to get to ones at the end

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

I never minded scrolling through 25 pages, but I don't mind browsing my physical bookshelves either.  :smileyhappy:  In addition to looking cluttered, all of my series list in order without shelves but won't do so any longer if I use shelves.  Instead they sort by title after sorting by author.  I wanted my ebooks to be grouped by genre the same way my physical books are, but now it looks all messy.  I hate messy book organization.

While I tihnk it's nice that I can create shelves for my books, I am unimpressed.

Frequent Contributor
pomtroll
0 Kudos

I'm going crazy creating shelves & arranging books! :smileyvery-happy:

So far I have:

Reading Now

Mystery

Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Thrillers & Adventure

Philosophy

Self Help

Books Read

I may eliminate & add some but I think I'll quit for now.  Some books I have in two places.

Inspired Contributor
astrangerhere
0 Kudos

I have country tags ( i read alot of Japanese literature, for example). I have a classics (as in Greek or Roman) tag, i have a modern tag, Hardboiled/Noir, Classic Literature, Modern literature.  the list goes on. and on. but scrolling through small shelf pages is WAY better than scrolling through the 500+ books i had at 12 entries a page

The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience. --To Kill a Mockingbird
Inspired Correspondent
OPDwife
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

I never minded scrolling through 25 pages, but I don't mind browsing my physical bookshelves either.  :smileyhappy:  In addition to looking cluttered, all of my series list in order without shelves but won't do so any longer if I use shelves.  Instead they sort by title after sorting by author.  I wanted my ebooks to be grouped by genre the same way my physical books are, but now it looks all messy.  I hate messy book organization.

While I tihnk it's nice that I can create shelves for my books, I am unimpressed.

Someone else on another post was saying the same thing about books in a series.  I don't have many that are in a series at this point so I am not bothered by it.  So, making sure I understand, if you put all the books from one series on a shelf they don't organize how you want them to but by author, then title?

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

OPDwife wrote:

Nallia wrote:

While I think it's nice that I can create shelves for my books, I am unimpressed.

Someone else on another post was saying the same thing about books in a series.  I don't have many that are in a series at this point so I am not bothered by it.  So, making sure I understand, if you put all the books from one series on a shelf they don't organize how you want them to but by author, then title?

You can sort them by author,  title or date purchased    But once you sort by author they now are all mixed up within the author sort because it then goes by title.

So for instance I had Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles,  which I had previously sorted by author,  and then it would display them by the date purchased within the author sort .   So when I got this series I learned my lesson from the last series and made sure I purchased them all in order so they would show up on my nook in order.  This way if I forget which book is #3 or #5 or whatever it doesn't matter, they're all in order.

NOW with this new update, it's not even doing that much,  they're all mixed up and out of order by then going by title.

I totally agree that I hate messy book organization!   Delusions of grandeur maybe but at home I can place my books on my bookshelf in whatever order I want,  I group them by author and then series, in order.   I read lots of series books.   I thought with this new update I'd be able to do that with my Nook but it's actually made it worse since it no longer goes within date purchased even,  within the author sort.

When I moved them to a bookshelf I moved them in order I wanted to see them there but it chose to sort them differently.

Linda

Inspired Correspondent
OPDwife
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I found this on another post:

All of my books are in the correct order in the Millennium Series. I think you may have your library organized by title, which puts the books in alphabetical order. My library is organized by author and it lists the books in chronological order under the authors name (or maybe because I bought them in chronological order.)

Does buying them in chronological order affect the organization?

(sorry to the person I took this from, I didn't get your name)

I posted this before I read your post above :smileytongue:

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

So far . . .

Periodicals

Modern Fiction

Mystery & Crime

Nonfiction

Romance

Essays & Shorts

Classics

Sci-Fi & Fantasy

New Books

Inspired Correspondent
OPDwife
0 Kudos

You know, I did like it better when sorted by author, the author's name was listed and then all books written by that author were listed underneath....is there a way to get it back that I am missing?

Frequent Contributor
jratease
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

For My Documents:

I'm going with the basic A,B,C, etc to V-Z with a few hardly used letters (like Q) combined, then add the books alphabetically to the appropriate shelf by Author. With Go To shelf, I can then get within a page of any author, if not on the exact page.

That's all I really wanted out of this update - the ability to get to a book without having to type in the name, or scrolling through 20 pages first.

Oh. And I created a shelf called "Nook" and moved it to the very end, for the Tour and User Guide.

Inspired Correspondent
OPDwife
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

jratease wrote:

For My Documents:

I'm going with the basic A,B,C, etc to V-Z with a few hardly used letters (like Q) combined, then add the books alphabetically to the appropriate shelf by Author. With Go To shelf, I can then get within a page of any author, if not on the exact page.

That's all I really wanted out of this update - the ability to get to a book without having to type in the name, or scrolling through 20 pages first.

Oh. And I created a shelf called "Nook" and moved it to the very end, for the Tour and User Guide.

You are meaning that each letter of the alphabet will have its own shelf....with the exception of little used letters such as Q?

That's clever!  Gotta love individuality!  Everyone has their own way.....great ideas on here so far!

Inspired Contributor
CritterKeeper
0 Kudos

Ok, so Ziggy is charging... and I haven't gotten to play with 1.5 yet. BUT.... can i make shelves via PC connected with usb? Or only on nook itself? I assume only on nook, but just wondering. Mainly cause I want to play fast, and typing on nook is slow for me LOL

Frequent Contributor
jratease
0 Kudos

OPDwife wrote:

You are meaning that each letter of the alphabet will have its own shelf....with the exception of little used letters such as Q?

That's clever!  Gotta love individuality!  Everyone has their own way.....great ideas on here so far!

Yes. I really didn't think it was all that clever, but thanks. Basic, easy shelves. Some shelves have more on than others, and if they get cumbersome, I can divide them into subparts (e.g. Sa-Sm and Sn-Sz, etc).

Just like a real library!

Inspired Contributor
nookie01
0 Kudos

I set my shelves up as follows:

Series
Favorite Authors
Novels
Romance
Mystery
Fantasy
Monthly Book Club Selections
To Be Read

But I think I am going to add two more shelves:

Freebies
Classics

This is how I have my shelves are set up at home, so it is how I naturally "search" for books - it just makes sense to me. I don't have any "free" books in my house, which is why I didn't think to set that shelf up. Also, I don't own a lot of classics, which is why I missed that. I can't wait to un-archive some classics now that I have a way to sort them.