Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Darkhunter139
0 Kudos

Light for my nook! Help me pick one!

[ Edited ]

I want to get a light for my Nook but I am not sure the official one that they sell at B&N is the way to go.  Anyone here have it? If so what do you think?

Is there any other options besides that one?

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Re: Light for my nook! Help me pick one :)

Do a search on nook lights.  There were a lot back in January or February.  That's where I did my evaluation.  The m-edge (see below) wasn't out when I started looking.

That said, I have the Mighty Bright Ultraflex 2 LED light.  Some think it's too heavy, but I don't sense that.  I just clip it on the back of my cover.  Once in a while I pick up a glare.  I got mine at Radio Shack.  It comes in great colors.

M-edge makes one that fits in their Executive cover.  I've heard good things about that combination.  It adds a little bit of bulk to the cover, but is much more compact than my Mighty Bright. 

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Darkhunter139 wrote:

I want to get a light for my Nook but I am not sure the official one that they sell at B&N is the way to go.  Anyone here have it? If so what do you think?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26822

I have this light and it works better than any book light I have owned

Frequent Contributor
Darkhunter139
0 Kudos

How do you attach that to the nook?

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

I have the M-Edge E-Luminator 2, and I'm very happy with it.  Used it on a pre-sunrise flight on a commuter the day before yesterday.  I had plenty of light to read, without bothering any of the people around me on a cramped plane.  It fits quite comfortably in my Madison Trifold cover from B&N; M-Edge also makes covers specifically to accommodate it.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Darkhunter139 wrote:

How do you attach that to the nook?

If you have a book cover you attach it to the cover. I have a silicone  cover  and use Velcro to attach it

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Darkhunter139 wrote:

My wife and I both have the Lyra Light, and I can't say that it's great. Two problems:

1) Its grip on the nook is tenuous. After a little bit you learn how to handle the nook/light combo so as not to jar the light, but it's not a great situation. Make a quick move with the nook, and the inertia of the light's head will cause the light to unclip and launch itself.

2) The on/off switch is flaky. You have to press it multiple times to get it to switch. Both my wife's and mine do the same thing.

That said, it does light up the screen and we use ours almost every night.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

I just remembered that there were demos for the Mighty Bright (on a Kindle) and the M-edge Eluminator on youtube.  You could do some searching there.

Also, when you're shopping, check the type of batteries.  Some use AAA batteries, but others use those small not necessarily available everywhere for cheap batteries.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Light for my nook! Help me pick one!

[ Edited ]

@Darkhunter139,

We do have the NOOK Lyra Light available online (usually ships within 24 hours).

You can use your NOOK in low light when you clip on this powerful Lyra Light. The sturdy, flexible neck points a bright, white LED onto your Nook while the shallow clip with cushioned grip pad won’t interfere with the screen as you read.

• Dimensions: 6" x 4" x 1.5"
  • 2 CR2032 Batteries Included
  • Provides 20 hours of light
  • Imported
  • Always turn off the light in between uses to save the battery

Below is the link to the accessories page which you may want to consider viewing for any updates:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/accessories/essentials/

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

I have to give my kudos to B&N and Michael.  I realize this forum is run by B&N...and they are certainly in the business to sell things.  When I first joined, I figured that comments would be quashed about products (covers, lights, etc.) that are in direct competition with an accessory that B&N sells.  I'm pleased that Michael adds the info about the B&N product while letting us still discuss the other options. 

Frequent Contributor
clka
0 Kudos

I have this one, the Mighty Bright Travelflex:

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Mighty-Bright-Black-TravelFlex-LED-Booklight/e/9781935009931/?itm=2&...

It also comes in different colors.  Its reasonably priced, small, flexible, and provides good lighting for my nook.

Cheryl

New User
Mnstar

I tried at least a half dozen lights. The Kandle is by FAR the best book light ever. I thought I would never find one I liked, the Kandle is one that I love.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I tried 3 lights.  I like the M-Edge illuminator the best.  It doesn't use a clip, it slides behind the Nook in the case.  I use it with my B&N purchased case just fine, you just can't store it in the case.  The light is good and doesn't reflect on the screen.  I had problems with the others getting them in the right position so that I didn't get a glare.  The Mighty Brite Lite that take 3 batteries is too heavy, in my opinion.

Contributor
readingissexy23
0 Kudos

The illuminator is the way to go man!

Reader 2
jfinli
0 Kudos

I have the mighty bright and I love it.  I attach it to my case and it works really well.

Contributor
smcsk8
0 Kudos

I have the Mighty Brite Xtraflex and I like it a LOT.  I don't have a cover, just a fabric case the nook slides into, so I just clip the light onto the nook and it works fine, nice and bright, not too heavy.  Price was right - $10!

Reader 4
jae22
0 Kudos

I bought a Mighty Bright light at the B&N store.  At the time they were out of the Nook light.  It works beautiful, the Nook light is more and is colored white, where as most other lights might not match the Nook.  It's nothing special in book lights.

Darkhunter139 wrote:

Frequent Contributor
Crawson1
0 Kudos

M-Edge E-Luminator 2 is my favorite of the ones I've tried because it slips behind (you need to use it with a cover -- not a naked nook) and it takes a normal (i.e., non-button cell battery).  Arm is stiff enough to position well without being too heavy or too floppy.

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

I kept trying to find the M-Edge Illuminator light and couldn't get anywhere.  Thanks to your post, I realize it is "E-luminator" and I found it.  Woo hoo!  I agree, I'd much rather have a AAA battery than a button cell.  I never thought about a light that could slip between the cover and the nook.  That's ingenious!  Here's the link for others who are interested:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YJDSHW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-...

$20 to $25 seems a little steep, but I love the design, so I'll probably get it.  For now, I've just decided that when I need a lit reader (basically just when I'm in bed), I'll read from my smartphone.  The other times, I'll use the Nook.

Inspired Correspondent
PepaLou
0 Kudos

I have this one:

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Mighty-Bright-Purple-Xtraflex-LED-Booklight/e/9781935009078/?itm=10&...

I bought it at B&N, and I really like it.  I just clip it to the cover, and use it mostly when I'm reading in bed so I don't have all the lights on and bother my DH.

Brasil #1
Proud owner of "COUNT NOOKULA"!
Stop adding more crap to my nook! If I wanted a do it all POS, I would have bought an Ipad!