Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Doc_Nukem
0 Kudos

Like it or not, the iPad is a <e-reader> killer

I don't know if people have seen this, but the author of the article makes the claim that the iPad is a Kindle killer.

He is using the Kindle as a generic e-reader, actually implying by association that the iPad is a universal e-reader killer.

I disagree, as I think the logic and support of the arguments are faulty. The comments are interesting.

The article is here.

Inspired Contributor
RucknRun
0 Kudos

Re: Like it or not, the iPad is a <e-reader> killer

I agree.  I don't thing that many people do more then play games on the ipad though.  I love reading on both my Nooks. 

Correspondent
atlongster
0 Kudos

I was a would-be iPad buy....until the NOOKcolor came about.  For me the reason was that I wanted the iPad mostly as an eBook reader, so when the NC came out with a superior screen and form factor I jumped.  Also for me it didn't make sense to have an iPad, I already have an iPod touch and there are just too many redundancies between the two devices to justify at base $500.

Frequent Contributor
CandyNJ66
0 Kudos

I used to have an ipad. I exchanged it for my Nook Color and an ipod touch 4G which works great for me! I love the size of my NC and portability
Inspired Contributor
bchau
0 Kudos

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
0 Kudos

too big.  too heavy.  worse display.  not book shaped.

I'll keep my nookcolor.

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Gtriever

[ Edited ]

Typical Apple fanboi garbage.  I have a Nook for one reason: reading.

If I want to spend 500 bucks for the "Multimedia Experience", I'll buy (and have bought) a good netbook. More storage, more RAM, a decent display, it runs almost any app I want to throw at it, and it's UPGRADABLE. Mine now has 2GB RAM, 500GB of disk space, and a touch screen.

Having said that, I do have a Nook Color on its way just to see what it can do after a few tweaks... at half the price of the iPad.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Gtriever wrote:

If I want to spend 500 bucks for the "Multimedia Experience", I'll buy (and have bought) a good netbook. More storage, more RAM, a decent display, it runs almost any app I want to throw at it, and it's UPGRADABLE. Mine now has 2GB RAM, 500GB of disk space, and a touch screen.

Having said that, I do have a Nook Color on its way just to see what it can do after a few tweaks... at half the price of the iPad.

This post says just about all.  I recenlty bought a laptop with many more features (including flash, a webcam, and many more things) for less than an iPad.  I also got a NOOKcolor for my birthday.  I can justify spending money on an enhanced ereader with real portability, but I never could justify a severely limited toy tablet.  Sure the iPad is a neat device, but for what?  It is not a truly serious computer, because it can't be upgraded, lacks features.  If I use the keyboard on my NC I can hold it in one hand and hit the keys with the other.  You have to lay the iPad down to do that.  Not convenient.  And while it is more portable than a desktop computer, in situations where I'd need a computer, a laptop is more useful.

By the way, once again Apple has done it to their customers.  Just as with the iPhone, the iPad 2 is set to release in January with some features added that were left out of the first.  USB port and webcam. 

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Gtriever wrote:

I totally agree.

And yet - the iPad is the coolest electronic toy around.  Not terribly useful but a lot of fun.

Frequent Contributor
RebelsLGB
0 Kudos

I'm an apple "fangirl" (i love my imac, powermac, ipod, iphone & apple tv)...but even I don't agree with this article.  a friend of mine and apple "fanboy" bought an ipad on release and loves it.  He did LOADS of reading on it over the past several months, but then starting getting annoyed with it's size when it came to reading.  I got my nook when they dropped the price, and he was impressed.  A few weeks ago he went and bought the wifi Kindle and now does all his reading on that, instead of the ipad.  

I think the ipad is a great product, and it has it's place...clearly.  But even I, an apple lover, have asked for a Nook Color this christmas instead of an ipad.  My main reason for even wanting an ipad was just for really portable email & internet when traveling (i do not own a laptop), since those things on the iphone, while handy when in a pinch...really is not an enjoyable experience..for the internet anyway.  E-mail on the iphone is fine. The nook color does both of these things for half the price of an ipad.  I can get whatever apps on my iphone, so that whole side of the ipad doesn't really matter to me.  I'm not a huge app person anyway.

Correspondent
TravP
0 Kudos

I get tired of devices being called a "(whatever)-killer." Being in competition with another device doesn't mean one is automatically better than all the rest. There are many devices for the same thing because each device does it a little differently, and everyone does not want the same thing. If you want a keyboard, there's the Kindle. If you want a touchpad for navigation, get the nook. And if you want an entire reading screen with touch screen, there's the nookColor, iPad, Galaxy Tab, etc. But even the iPad and the nookColor don't do the same thing. None of these devices are killing the others, but are along side them to do different things depending on what you're looking for. 

Frequent Contributor
Travst
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm with Rebels (being an Ole Miss alum may have some bearing on that).  All I really wanted was a reader with basic web (and thus email) capability.  The fact that the NC can also play videos is a huge bonus for me when I travel.  I haven't tried to view Office documents yet, but the app for interacting with them is a really nice plus.  Frankly, I'm sick of toting a laptop on trips.  Free at last...

Take my advice... don't take my advice.
Inspired Contributor
bchau
0 Kudos

I have a Windows smartphone and a laptop already. A Nookcolor fits in right in the middle ground for me and at a right price too. Steve Jobs said 7 inches is too small (probably because iPad is 10 inches only, at least at present). I think 7-inch hits the sweet spot for me.

MiniMischief
0 Kudos

I held off on the ipad just to see what came out this holiday season and I'm so glad I did.  NOOKcolor looks like it's going to be everything I wanted and 1/2 the price.  Mine shipped out today so I'll know for sure next week. . . 

One of the big things for me with Apple is how much I dislike itunes.  I'm so glad I don't have to mess with it with the NOOKcolor.

Life is too short to read bad books. . .
Correspondent
g0tr00t

THIS my friends is the ONLY iPad KILLER in existence!  Feast your eyes on this BEAST!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko

Correspondent
Heritage07
0 Kudos

I totally agree.

And yet - the iPad is the coolest electronic toy around.  Not terribly useful but a lot of fun.

______________________________________________________________________________ Not useful? I have all my work docs, spreadsheets and presentations on my iPad and no longer use my laptop when I travel. I can send receive any email with or without attachments and print from it as well. I use it in meetings for presentations and note taking. Finally, I also read many books on it. Don't knock what you don't own and if you do own one learn how to use it.
New User
Witchdoctor59
0 Kudos

Myself and several friends are interested in getting an e-reader.  However B&N refuses to ship to Canada.  Fortunately I have just found out that there is a Kindle app for out IPOD touch.  All 6 of us have the touch thanks to our boss and requirements of our jobs.  So the ipod has killed 6 e-readers in this case.

SlaughterS
0 Kudos

Witchdoctor59 wrote:

...I have just found out that there is a Kindle app for out IPOD touch. ...

There is also a B&N app.  In fact, when the ipad came out it was judged to be the best reader app you could use on the device.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Contributor
Rubyww
0 Kudos

The iPad is definitely not a ereader killer but it is inevitable that ereader, ipad, tablets and the likes will morph into one. This trend has been predicted by the business elites. The Nook Color is really more than just an ereader; it "reads" black/white novels, magazines and children books as wells as plays videos, pandora and surfs the web. Like it or not, the Nook Color functions are morphing into the tablet. The distinction between an ereader and a tablet are becomeing more and more gray and will be totally erased as more color display options become available.

Correspondent
Taxandria
0 Kudos

I love the iPad. I have the Nook classic and have enjoyed it but I also love the iPad because I can get a lot of work done on it, I don't already have other Apple products so it's not redundant for me, I don't want a webcam on a tablet anyway (when I take photos I use my Canon DSLR TYVM), and it is wonderful to use with my toddler -- it's very portable and we play games, read picture books, play with educational apps, watch Shrek etc. 

I was at Reno Depot today and realized I didn't have a pen handy to jot down some numbers I needed for the wallpaper I was buying -- lo and behold, I did have my iPad with me, so I used the Notes feature to type it out and save it. Also, I don't know about others but I'm able to hold the iPad in one hand and type with the other. 

iPad is great if you need and want what it offers. If you don't, there are lots of other choices out there. there's room for all these devices, but I must say Canada really needs to get on the ball and get in bed with Barnes and Noble already. Lots of people want Nooks and can not buy them in Canada. 

Just Read: The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan
Reading Now: The Fall by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan
Reading Next: ?