Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

Re: Lol u Nook idiots.

What a sad little OP. And maybe he doesn't realize the Fire doesn't have 3g or that you must pay more for the kindle touch and touch 3g unless you want ads. On top of that you pay more for the 3g version. Gee, Touch, now where have I heard that before? I don't think Roy really wants BN to go away, because really who then would Amazon copy. They have the cloud, great. Streaming video to circumvent netflix. Their app store to circumvent the android marketplace. But mostly Amazon has been less of an innovator of late and more of a follower of BN's. The Fire is little more than a faster NC which in order to access some cloud services requires you buy Prime. And really mature posts by the way, Roy. Amazon would be proud to have you as a customer, right? In fact, you should suggest they use your posts in their ads.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS

@CrazyBlu,

Dude, seriously!!!  Stop this.  Extolling the capabilities of an object by humiliating and berating human beings is below mean and evil.  FIne, you like amazon.com; that's your right.  Showing respect for those who disagreed, if they ever did, with you is the right thing to do.  It is not a right; it's a moral obligation.  In a year, the devices you now adore will be obsolete and in some cases replaced.  The immature attitude you have displayed will be forgotten along with your wilt soul.

Enjoy your new devices and hopefully amazon will have a special sale on books about self-esteem and mutual respect.  If they do, by all means, please sideload them and READ them.  There is always room for personal improvement.

Lector GS
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

[ Edited ]

deemure wrote:
Touch, now where have I heard that before? I don't think Roy really wants BN to go away, because really who then would Amazon copy.

That is funny, Because both BN and Amazon have been following Sony on the "touch" technology (Sony had this particular technology over a year before BN rolled it out).  And they both followed Apple in using "touch" in the name (surprise Apple didn't copyright the word touch since they seem to think the letter "i" belongs to them).

But, while I like my 3G, Amazon's keeping it doesn't make BN wrong to drop it.  It has its place in the market but there are big differences between these companies.  Amazon at this point can afford to run losses in some areas in order to make money other places (loss leaders).  3G could be an example of this.  BN probably just can't take the risk that the bill will get too large.  Another example of this behavior by Amazon is the new Fire.  I saw at least one equity analyst estimate Amazon is losing $50 per unit.  Amazon can do that because they hope a certain percentage get Prime, others increase their normal shopping using the device, etc.  BN can't do it.

Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

Amazon has ridden the coattails of B&N for a couple of years now in every area except one.

Customer Support.  After many years of rotten CS, B&N still doesn't get it.  I have friends who refuse to purchase from B&N because of expeiences from a decade ago, long before Nooks and Kindles, and nothing has changed.

I really like my Nook ST, but I have no illusions that B&N will ever fix the font gap between 5 and 6.  And I have no evidence that they even listen to anything that customers tell them.  The in-store people are frantic trying to deal with a complete and total lack of CS.

The people on phone CS even seem to enjoy lying to us, knowing that they can't be tracked and that there are no consequences.

I've only owned the NST for 3 months, but I ordered a Kindle Touch today.  That's a consequence.

Inspired Bibliophile
Schwa

xamier wrote:

Stop feeding the trolls. 

But... but... this one is really cute though. It seems to think there is only room for one product on the ereader market.

Frequent Contributor
reedfam
0 Kudos

I love my NOOK!! And I looked at both products before I went with the NOOK. But on a little bit of a side note after this article in our local papers this weekend there is no way I will be shopping at Amazon. For anything!!! http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-allentown-amazon-complaints-20110917,0,1246510.story I stopped shopping at Walmart for their employee practices and now I won't shop at Amazon either. I prefer to spend a little more then give my hard earned money to employers that treat there people like crap!!

deemure
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

That is funny, Because both BN and Amazon have been following Sony on the "touch" technology (Sony had this particular technology over a year before BN rolled it out).  And they both followed Apple in using "touch" in the name (surprise Apple didn't copyright the word touch since they seem to think the letter "i" belongs to them).

But, while I like my 3G, Amazon's keeping it doesn't make BN wrong to drop it.  It has its place in the market but there are big differences between these companies.  Amazon at this point can afford to run losses in some areas in order to make money other places (loss leaders).  3G could be an example of this.  BN probably just can't take the risk that the bill will get too large.  Another example of this behavior by Amazon is the new Fire.  I saw at least one equity analyst estimate Amazon is losing $50 per unit.  Amazon can do that because they hope a certain percentage get Prime, others increase their normal shopping using the device, etc.  BN can't do it.

As to Sony, you are right, of course. However, B&N hasn't adopted an attitude of "let's get Sony". You can even read Sony books on nooks. I tend to forget about Sony only because they really lacked features and a large bookstore with wireless access when I was first looking at ereaders. As far as the word touch, sure Apple used it but not in connection with an ereader. Amazon created an ereader very similar to the simple touch and calls it simply the touch. That is following. B&N put products together in particular ways and yes has probably often copied others, but hasn't created a whole product line that copies one company.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

reedfam wrote:

I love my NOOK!! And I looked at both products before I went with the NOOK. But on a little bit of a side note after this article in our local papers this weekend there is no way I will be shopping at Amazon. For anything!!! http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-allentown-amazon-complaints-20110917,0,1246510.story I stopped shopping at Walmart for their employee practices and now I won't shop at Amazon either. I prefer to spend a little more then give my hard earned money to employers that treat there people like crap!!

This is something I have heard several times over. They are actually very anti-worker and God forbid one has some disability or even is not well on a particular day. They demean them at least and fire them with no consideration at all. So sure people can find things more cheaply at cramazon, but what's the real cost? I don't shop at Walmart for the same reasons. I have had plenty of friends and acquaintances that worked at Walmart and it is revelatory. People are treated like garbage unless they are considered to bleed blue. Amazon doesn't even pretend to care. I have heard and read over and over again about employees being taken out on stretchers. But things like this get pushed away because people want cheap stuff. I am so glad they have great customer service, though. That's all that matters.

By the way, these conditions are not exclusive to Amazon's US installations.
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

There was a fantastic article about the conditions in the  Amazon Pennsylvanie warehouse...heat index of 110 (management emailed employees to warn them instead of doing anything about it)...keeping an ambulance or 2 waiting at all times because they knew conditions would cause someone to collapes...refusing to open the warehouse doors to improve ventilation because they were concerned about theft...I didn't know PA had turned into a 3rd world country

RHWright
0 Kudos

Having lived in PA for over a decade for over a decade (until 2007), I can tell you their labor laws are highly slanted in favor of employers. So it doesn't surprise me that Amazon gets away with this s**t.

The tough thing with Amazon, Walmart, and others is not only their size, ubiquity, and pricing, but that finding a reasonable substitution is difficult.

Companies...have a history. Even if they have a good reputation now, what have they done in the past?

And depending upon your tolerance for things, almost no company/product is above reproach, if we take into account a variety of hot-button issues (fair labor practices, environmental concerns, etc.)

I'm not saying that Amazon (or anyone else) should be allowed to get away with it, or that things can't/shouldn't change, just that being 100% satisfied with the way any company does business is problematic.

Contributor
CrazyBlu
0 Kudos

It's funny how all the losers that ban me come right back. If you did not like me then don't reply it only shows me that I was right all along.Nook 1st E is great but the nook color sucks.Amazon has a better software engineer then BN, that's y I'll go with them on there Kindle touch 3g for 189.I don't care for price i just wanted a 3g small ereader back by a big company.BN is full of crap they give you a membership that barely takes off the tax of your books and there discounts are stupid as hell I can get my books cheaper. But if your gonna give an ereader for 250 and it doesn't even work then shame on you for your greed. BN should listen to there customers Amazon did and that's y I will go with them.

Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

@CrazyBlu,

Have a good life at amazon.com land.   Frankly speaking, your leaving these forums is not a big loss at all.

Lector GS
Darkkin

'Posted: Do not feed the Trolls, not even reindeer flattened fruitcake...Feeding of Trolls will result in gnome revolts, gremlin induced chaos, and other strangeness...' - Darkkin, the Tedious 

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Ah! Hey I found the stinch! Should have known it was a troll.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Distinguished Correspondent
AVID-JT
0 Kudos

Did someone leave a stink bomb trail on their way out the door?  Quick, everybody start waving.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Bye

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I find it interesting that Amazon fans seem to think Nook is dead or dying? What do they want? A monopoly? If it ever happens Amazon will have no reason to keep pricing reasonable using the logic why bother? Either buy from Amazon or read paper books. Competition is good for all markets.
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Correspondent
sharno22
0 Kudos

Au revoir Crazy Troll!  Hope you enjoy the Amazon boards before you get kicked off of them too!!