Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
catilou
0 Kudos

MISSING NOOK

Why oh why was the First Edition discontinued?

I fleft my Nook First Edition in the seat pocket on American Airline Flight 1962 (seat 25D) from Seattle (SEA) to Dallas (DFW) on January 25, 2013 and I miss it tremendously. I never heard from AA lost & found and I am posting here hoping that perhaps whomever found it will read this and contact me.

I am handicapped (I have only one finger) and I cannot use any of the new Nooks that Barnes & Noble came up with; my old Nook was so perfect for me. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: MISSING NOOK

Good luck in getting it back.  If not, you can find N1E's on many of the auction sites like eBay

Reader
catilou
0 Kudos

thanks.
Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Very sorry to hear that.

If you haven't already, make sure you mark your replacement in some way.  I attached a small dog-tag to the zipper of my Nook-pouch with my name and phone number.  I edited my daughter's screen saver images so they all say "If found, please call xxx-xxx-xxxx" on them.

Out of curiosity, why doesn't a Nook Simple Touch work for you?  I can't think of any part of it that requires more than one finger.

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,336
0 Kudos

Byteguy wrote:

If you haven't already, make sure you mark your replacement in some way.  I attached a small dog-tag to the zipper of my Nook-pouch with my name and phone number.  I edited my daughter's screen saver images so they all say "If found, please call xxx-xxx-xxxx" on them.

Ditto.  Of course, almost every Android tablet out there allows you to enter whatever text you would like overlaid on the screensaver, for precisely this purpose.

Of course, in the "we're B&N; we know better what users need" category of ancient thinking, that useful feature has been left out of the Nooks.

Nooks: 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted; 2x Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted;
    HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Reader
catilou
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

To BiteGuy: thanks.

I had a card with name, email, and phone number in the cover... it does not seem to help.

>>Out of curiosity, why doesn't a Nook Simple Touch work for you?  I can't think of any part of it that requires more than one finger.<<

I tried it in the store and the little buttons to turn pages on the side need to be pushed too hard, I could not make that work. Also when I tried to "swipe" to turn pages it did not always work...

Maybe it is because the Nook was attached to the display stand and I could not hold it the way I usually do?

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

I noticed the same thing.  The side buttons to turn the page require far more pressure on the NST than they did on the N1E.  I don't mind that because I use the touch screen for page turns,

keriflur
0 Kudos

catilou wrote:

Also when I tried to "swipe" to turn pages it did not always work...

Maybe it is because the Nook was attached to the display stand and I could not hold it the way I usually do?

The swipe motion that the NST likes is slightly different than what the N1E likes, so it might be that also.  I found when I first got my N1E I had to learn the motion to make it work every time, and then I had the same situation with the NST as the NST likes a slightly different swipe.  Once I figured it out though, I can get the page to change every time.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

You can also turn pages on the NST by tapping the left or right margin. I find this easier than using the buttons or swiping.
DeanGibson
0 Kudos

Sideswiped

I found swiping on the Nook Touch natural from the start (perhaps a result of experience with the Nook Color).  By contrast, I find swiping on the Nook 1st Edition very frustrating, especially vertically:  I'd swipe to go down in a menu, and the menu would scroll up.  At first I thought it was a defect in the touch screen, but now after having owned three of the Nook 1st Editions, I realize that my finger must be defective.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Sideswiped

DeanGibson wrote:

I found swiping on the Nook Touch natural from the start (perhaps a result of experience with the Nook Color).  By contrast, I find swiping on the Nook 1st Edition very frustrating, especially vertically:  I'd swipe to go down in a menu, and the menu would scroll up.  At first I thought it was a defect in the touch screen, but now after having owned three of the Nook 1st Editions, I realize that my finger must be defective.

On mine, when I swipe to go down, the menu jumps to the top and then scrolls down, so I can never move past the first few items in the menu.  It's infuriating.  It's the main reason I pre-ordered the NST when it was announced.  It's also why I haven't sold/given away my N1E - I can't do it in good conscience.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

Defective fingers

keriflur wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

...  By contrast, I find swiping on the Nook 1st Edition very frustrating, especially vertically:  I'd swipe to go down in a menu, and the menu would scroll up.  At first I thought it was a defect in the touch screen, but now after having owned three of the Nook 1st Editions, I realize that my finger must be defective.

On mine, when I swipe to go down, the menu jumps to the top and then scrolls down, so I can never move past the first few items in the menu.  It's infuriating. ...

Ah, your finger is defective, too!

What you describe is a more precise description of what I meant.  Sometimes it works correctly if I touch and hold for a second, and then slowly swipe up to go down.  Sometimes.

It's interesting that I've never seen another complaint on this topic, but I wasn't on the forums when these devices were introduced.

I bought (and have been saving) my two Nook 1st Editions wtih 3G primarily for eBook ordering and reading when on (say) jury duty (in rooms that have no WiFi).  I'm hoping that 3G access survives ...

keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Defective fingers

I bought my N1E back when I was thoroughly enamored with B&N, back when you could call CS and talk to an intelligent, informed, native speaker, and the company as a whole was willing to share information with their customers.  I had faith that the weird behavior I was seeing was due to a software bug that they would fix in a future release.  So I waited, loyal to a fault, confident in a company that had always taken care of me as a customer.

We all know how that worked out.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

Re: Defective fingers

Scrolling in the menus on the N1E used to work well on an early vesion of the software. An update caused the current behavior. I figured it was to increase the responsiveness of the touchscreen. It had some negative effects as well.