Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
IronmanMM
0 Kudos

Magazines and Newspapers

Am I confused, or are there really just 12 magazines and 19 newspapers available for subscription on the nook?

Frequent Contributor
Gwynne
0 Kudos

Re: Magazines and Newspapers

For now, yes, that's all that there are.  I'm sure BN is working to get more options, but really, it's up to the magazine and newspapers themselves, because they're the ones who have to format it for the ereaders.

Frequent Contributor
IronmanMM
0 Kudos

I don't think it is an ereader formatting issue.  THe kindle has boatloads of magazines, newspapers and blogs.  Hopefully, nook will increse content soon.

Contributor
knitwittery
0 Kudos

But when the Kindle started they only had about 5 magazines and 7 newspapers.  It has grown over the last 2 1/2 years.  I was an early Kindle adopter, and recently added a Nook to my ereader repertoire.  I suspect as Nook's gain market ground, they, too, will gain more and more titles.  (BTW, I truly think that Nook is the better product, and I am so excited by this product!)

www.knitwittery.com
Frequent Contributor
jslakey
0 Kudos

I've been wondering this since I got the Nook for Christmas.  When it first came out there were press releases that with many titles of both mags and papers.  Hardly any of them have come out.  I really enjoy how B&N say over 1 million books, papers, and magazines available but yeah; only 9 mags and 19 papers.  What stinks even more is that they have a bunch of digital editions of mags and papers but they don't work with the nook.

Frequent Contributor
jslakey
0 Kudos

I was just reading the post about using the mobile versions of web sites.  Also, google reader and nook feed.  Most papers and magazines have RSS feeds.  So I guess if B&N doesn't offer subscriptions there is always a free alternative.

New User
MatthewSchenker
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello,

My first post on the B&N Community...

I've been researching e-readers: Kindle, iPad, Sony Reader, and Nook.  I'm a big fan of open-source development, so the Nook really appeals to me and gives me a sense that it has a brighter future.  So at the moment, I favor the Nook.  I don't own one yet, which is why I'm checking out what people say here!

But that's for another post.

One of my main interests in an e-reader is getting the daily newspaper (NY Times), along with magazine subscriptions (New Yorker, Atlantic, Scientific American, New York Review of Books, Wired).

I'm having a hard time locating a simple list of which newspaper and magazines are available on the Nook.  I would think that B&N would make this really clear and easy to find.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Matt

Frequent Contributor
QuiteTheCharacter
0 Kudos

MatthewSchenker wrote:

I'm having a hard time locating a simple list of which newspaper and magazines are available on the Nook.  I would think that B&N would make this really clear and easy to find.

Thanks,

Matt

Click "eBooks" on the brownish menu bar toward the top of the screen, then after that, you'll see links for "eNewspapers" and "eMagazines" under that same brownish menu bar.

Correspondent
NanaLou
0 Kudos

MatthewSchenker wrote:

Thanks,

Matt

The nook has 12 magazines and two you have listed are available on the Nook (The New Yorker and The New York Times Book Review).

They have 19 newspapers and the New York Times is available.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

New User
MatthewSchenker
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks everyone for responding.  I've been reading up on the posts here, and i like the friendly nature of this community.

Of course, when I looked again I saw the link to the newspapers and magazines.  Don't know how I missed it the first time.

A related question: I see some people have reported issues with delivery of newspapers and magazines.  Have these issues been resolved with the latest software updates?

At the moment, I really like the Nook best of the available reader devices, and since I hang out in my local Barnes & Noble a couple of times a week, it makes the most sense for me.

Thanks again,

Matthew

New User
lolasunshine
0 Kudos

I agree that the lack of papers and magazines is very disappointing! I travel and had hoped to receive the Arizona Republic (local paper for the fifth largest city in the US) but it is only available on kindle - why?

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

I would advise to just give B&N some time.  They're much newer at this game than Amazon is with the Kindle.  I'm also waiting for two magazines that are available on the Kindle to be made available for the Nook.

►Without order there is chaos◄
New User
MatthewSchenker
0 Kudos

Hello,

I've decided to hold off for now on buying any reader.

I refuse to support Apple, and I'm not fond of the Kindle for a few reasons.  The Nook comes closest, but after trying it out at my local B&N, I feel it's in need of a software/hardware makeover. Since the general design is the same as it was when the Nook was launched, I'm betting that B&N will be doing upgrades soon.

I like the community here -- one of the real attractions of the Nook.

Thanks,

Matthew

Frequent Contributor
DBDigital
0 Kudos

Well they did just have a software update that was a big step forward.  And I suspect that more updates are to be released soon.  But of course if you tried it and didn't like the unit, don't purchase one.  I have been looking for a ereading device for years and the Nook is the best one that has come out yet with the freedom to do what I want and all the needed features.  Sure there are a few things I would like added (such as a goto page option and search/sort in mydocuments) but I believe these are probably being worked on as we speak.

As for newspapers and magazines you might consider getting http://calibre-ebook.com/ it has a very easy way to download news from many news sites and magazines and downloading them on the Nook.  It is also a great way to just keep track of your libary.  And best of all...open source.

Frequent Contributor
maryclare
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm also planning to use the browser for the limited amount of news I require.  And I subscribe to EW, so I can use my subscrition to get that online.  Of course, I assume I will need WiFi.I