Contributor
dclaar
0 Kudos

Making the Nook Color experience better

There's a lot that B&N could do to help make the Nook Color experience better. Some suggestions:

1. Put a sticky at the top of this and the general discussion boards, with a title something like "use touch.facebook.com to connect to facebook".
  2. With every NC sold, include a piece of paper that says "connect to us on facebook through the touch-friendly site, touch.facebook.com". Provide some small incentive, like "bring in your nook color and show us that you've "liked" nook and get a free coffee".

B&N can do these first two immediately, no hardware or software changes required. The next one requires software, but is vital:

• Support your faithful customers. Today. Prove to them--and to us newbies--that we're not fools for buying DRMed books. I see people on these forums that have purchased 700, even 1000 books from B&N subsidiaries, and they're left out in the cold. Adding support immediately--preferably with a "oops, we goofed" statement--would go a long way to reassuring us that buying eBooks is safe.

Finally, while this one isn't a must, it is pretty high up on the list:

• Add the ability to copy a passage, make notes on it, and export it. My pastor asked me about the nook color. Right now, I can't really recommend it to him. I don't know how most pastors do it, but ours studies extensively as part of his preparation. If he's studying what various commentaries have to say about a passage, for example, he has to be able to take notes and then use them for building his sermon or writing his book. By the same token, if I'm learning a new scripting language, or studying history, I want to be able to take notes and keep them outside of the nook.

That's my $0.02 worth, anyway. I continue to have high hopes for the Nook Color, but not quite as high as when I put my name in and waited. I'm hoping that B&N will blow my socks of and that the NC will exceed its potential, which is quite high.

Inspired Contributor
Sunhawk
0 Kudos

Re: Making the Nook Color experience better

As I noted in another thread, you can highlight a passage, annotate it and share it to Facebook, Twitter, or an email address in your contacts. I shared a passage with myself as a test.

You can also view all highlighted or annotated passages for a book.

Works great.

Frequent Contributor
JoeNook
0 Kudos

yeah I tested it out as well, worked seamlessly.

Sunhawk wrote:

As I noted in another thread, you can highlight a passage, annotate it and share it to Facebook, Twitter, or an email address in your contacts. I shared a passage with myself as a test.

You can also view all highlighted or annotated passages for a book.

Works great.

Contributor
dclaar
0 Kudos

Only for books purchased from B&N. Magazines, no. Library books, no. Side-loaded, no.

Inspired Contributor
Sunhawk
0 Kudos

Sharing doesn't work on side-loaded books, but highlights and annotations work do work on side loads.

Correspondent
htbyron
0 Kudos

But from what I understand, the highlights and annotations cannot be exported.  I believe this is a problem with the classic nook as well.  It would be nice if BN addressed this issue for both devices (even including syncing highlights/annotations/bookmarks between devices).