Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Me, "Operation cannot be completed" & Cannot download NookBooks

ABthree got me to try something last night that had me throwing an adequate number of temper tantrums over the puny size of the Nook's keyboard.

I don't normally mess with MY B&N Library on the Nook and sideload everything. I figured since I was throwing hissy fits anyway I may as well check out MY B&N Library to see what damage I could do there. I started downloading some NookBooks over 3G. AT&T decided to be obliging by offering an unusually weak signal and at least one disconnect.

During one download it got to 44% and the Nook declared "Operation cannot be completed." Of course I paid no attention to which book this happened to and moved on.

After the Nook screamed "Operation cannot be completed" a few more times, I looked at the Nook's 3G strength icon. It shows 5 bars. Woot! I never get that strong a signal. I tired another book, "Operation cannot be completed." Ok, the Nook is playing games with me.

I power the Nook off and on but now have no 3G signal. I try to download a book and the Nook shouts "Network Unavailable." Tried another book, "Network Unavailable."

Hrrrm, maybe the modem needs CPR. I flip over and enter Airplane Mode. Go back to My B&N Library and try to download another book. Press OK to disable Airplane Mode. The Nook screams "Network Unavailable."

I check the 3G strength icon and it now shows two bars, low but normal for me. I beat my stick on the ground, jump and down beating my chest, make faces and glare at the Nook. The Nook will not be intimidated. "Network Unavailable."

I no longer trust NookSpeak. Time to see if this Devil is even talking to BN.com. I find an archived book, unarchive then for grins download that book. Hrrrm.  I download another book that's not archived. I go back to one of the books that wouldn't download. "Operation cannot be completed." Try to download yet another book. "Operation cannot be completed." Huh? Oh jeeze 5 bars again. Hissy fit time. The Nook is still un-phased.

I perform CPR run through some more tests and find that a handful of books will not download with the nook shouting "Operation cannot be completed." Each time after trying to download one those books the Nook's modem needs CPR. It looks like time for surgery.

I plug the Nook into the computer, open the BN folder and spot an ominous looking file, ~.xxxxxxxxxx.tmp or something similar. Hrrrm, should I biopsy or remove it?

I decide a biopsy is in order. I copy the number and do a search on BN.com for that ISBN number. "File not found."  I glare at BN.com but it is no more impressed with my antics than the Nook. Maybe Google has an idea? I enter the ISBN number and press 'Google Search'. 

Hour of the Hunter with extra content; limited offer free Barnes and Noble eBook.

God bless Google.

Time to punish the Nook. I leave the file there, find the book in the Nook and vehemently jab "Download." WHAT? It didn't burn, smoke or even burp. It downloaded the book. That wasn't any fun! Let's make the Nook choke on one of those "Operation cannot be completed" eBooks.  I need some form of retribution. WHAT? All those books download now.

I don't know about the Nook. It's almost as bad as Windows which also required surgery this morning. Oh well, at least I didn't have to call Customer Suppoprt, listen to them mumble applogies and offer to send me a replacement.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: Me, "Operation cannot be completed" & Cannot download NookBooks

[ Edited ]

@gstone

Sorry to have ruined your evening. :smileysad:

Enjoyed the rant, though.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Correspondent
ivers
0 Kudos

I have trouble following action movies. If I read your screenplay correctly, the nook was possessed by the devil, you did a mindmeld with your computer and examined a mystery .tmp file but did not actually do anything, disconnected the mindmeld, and then the devil had mysteriously left on its own without an actual exorcism?

Maybe it was secretly built by Apple and you were just holding it wrong!

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

ivers wrote:

I have trouble following action movies. If I read your screenplay correctly, the nook was possessed by the devil, you did a mindmeld with your computer and examined a mystery .tmp file but did not actually do anything, disconnected the mindmeld, and then the devil had mysteriously left on its own without an actual exorcism?

Not to far off.

It looked like the temp file was an interrupted download. This caused the 3G modem to bork.

Any book I tried to download while the modem was borked would give the "Operation cannot be completed" message. Apparently those books were then flagged as bad boys preventing download. After the modem was reset they refused to download giving the message "Operation cannot be completed" and would also bork the 3G modem.

I had to finish downloading the interrupted download before I could download the subsequent books that had been flagged.

An exorcism probably would have worked too but I wanted to see how permenant this situation was. Did the file really need to be deleted or was this a problem with some que function the Nook is doing? It's apparently a que, like being behind the fat guy at a convience store who has bag full of lottery tickets.

New User
SilentSam
0 Kudos

I feel your pain!  Just had a very similar problem.  Tech support no help - said I would have to download wi-fi.  WTF?  I paid extra for 3G and then it doesn't work?  I understand they are discontinuing 3G.  Thought it was down the road a few months but maybe it has already been done.

Inspired Correspondent
ivers
0 Kudos

Your 3G service would still work even if they discontinue selling the 3G model.

There is a cutoff for the size of books you can download over 3G. My nook is wifi-only so I haven't bothered to learn what it is, but I do know that there are some books that can only be downloaded over wifi (or sideloaded manually)

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

SilentSam wrote:

I feel your pain!  Just had a very similar problem.  Tech support no help - said I would have to download wi-fi.  WTF?  I paid extra for 3G and then it doesn't work?  I understand they are discontinuing 3G.  Thought it was down the road a few months but maybe it has already been done.

This kind of bs is common when you start releasing updates. Something gets changed that has unintended consequences. If this occurs again I know what to look for and made the post so others may think to look into this if they run into something similar. I tend to be verbose. :smileyvery-happy:

Some eBooks are to large to download over 3G. Generally those over 10 megabytes in size. Nothing new there.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

@gstone

Sorry to have ruined your evening. :smileysad:

Sorry I missed your earlier post. There is nothing for you to be sorry about. You answered a question I had last night.

Besides, other than walking the dog, hissy fits are the only form of exercise I seem to get anymore. Heaven Knows I need exercise. I should be thanking you for the excuse to exercise. :smileytongue:

Are you sure I can't address you as Bathrobe? It would make the forum spell checker happy. :smileyvery-happy: 

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:

Are you sure I can't address you as Bathrobe? It would make the forum spell checker happy. :smileyvery-happy: 

Can't you just hit the "Add" button on spell check?   Changing the dictionary seems less drastic than changing my name.  'course, that might just be me.  :smileyindifferent:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

gstone wrote:

Can't you just hit the "Add" button on spell check?   Changing the dictionary seems less drastic than changing my name.  'course, that might just be me.  :smileyindifferent:

In Word I can and have. When I compose in Word and try to post here I get nothing but HTML errors. I have to compose in Word then paste to notepad which introduces its own set of punctuation errors. Then paste in here. Sometimes I just squint real hard and type in here.

The spell checker provided by Lithium doesn't give us that access. Heck, Barnes and Noble hasn't even bothered to add NookBook to the spell checking library. 

Besides, don't dare change your nick on here. I have to have something to grouse about.

Reader 4
kapow73

this was SO helpful!!  I started getting the "Operation cannot be completed" error last night.  I have not had any problems up til this point, even with the 1.5 upgrade, and I have no problem connecting to my wi-fi, only with downloading books.  Just now after reading your post, I remembered there was a book that said it would take some time to download, so I went to my Nook library on bn.com and deleted it. (it was free anyway)  Problem solved!!!  Everything is downloading just fine now.

Thank you soooo much!

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

kapow73 wrote:

this was SO helpful!!  I started getting the "Operation cannot be completed" error last night.  I have not had any problems up til this point, even with the 1.5 upgrade, and I have no problem connecting to my wi-fi, only with downloading books.  Just now after reading your post, I remembered there was a book that said it would take some time to download, so I went to my Nook library on bn.com and deleted it. (it was free anyway)  Problem solved!!!  Everything is downloading just fine now.

Thank you soooo much!

*Me jumps up and down and does happy dance*

I had noticed this with v1.4 and a few of the Free B&N Classics that required wi-fi to download. In that case it gave no error message. Books in the que behind those just refused to download until I went to Barnes and Noble and used thier wi-fi to get them out of the way.

It sounds like there may be a number of senarios that can cause the download que to hemorrhage.