Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
psjcal
0 Kudos

Message board problem

This started yesterday -- I read this & the support board daily, however, they now show I have 1000's of unread messages (I am signed in). The options to mark all messages as read are grayed out as if I weren't signed in. As I can go to My B&N, the account page & add a new message I know I exist in the eyes of b&n. Any ideas of what's going on?

Frequent Contributor
psjcal
0 Kudos

Re: Message board problem

Problem solved -- just needed to send a new message -- replying to a message did not change #'s. After posting the above the unread messages are now accurate. Hmm?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The boards continue to have a problem.Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

The symptoms suggest to me that one or more webservers has bad content—likely a bad JavaScript—while others are okay. If you get a good server, you're fine. But if you get a bad one, you can log in to B&N but not into the forums. There's probably a load-balancer with "sticky sessions" so that as you keep making requests you keep going to the server you were on, until the session expires (often set to 15 minutes).

B&N: please look into this. It's getting frustrating. I finally got a good forum login after a couple hours of trying, waiting, trying, waiting, etc.

Frequent Contributor
psjcal
0 Kudos

Well guess I'm glad it's not just me -- because again today I show 1000's of unread messages. Now obviously my sign-in is recognized as I can reply but there is no way I can attempt to read the messages until the #'s are back to normal.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've been having the same "thousands" of unread messages problems and not recognizing me as logged in.  I thought it might be because I'm traveling so I'm accessing from the hotels wifi.

It seems to have something to do with cookies and I found a workaround.  Don't ask how I figured this out, but it seems to be pretty consistent.

When you enter the forums and see the thousands of unread posts, find a recent post you made and click on your handle.  Then page back and click on either Reply or New Message.  It should show you the form allowing you to reply or post.  Cancel that and then back-page to the forums main page.

A bit of a hassle, but the only I have found to get back to being recognized on the forums.

Frequent Contributor
jeffasaul
0 Kudos

I thought it was my browser.  Glad to know I am not alone.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Someone on these boards, sorry I don't remember who, said they found that if they tried to "register" it took them right into the boards.

This is what works for me now, so thank you!  The site doesn't always want to take it, so I hit (click) on register about 10 or 15 times in a row, non stop, and that usually works.

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

This is the first time for days that I have been able to post on the board.  And every message shows as not read.   I hope they get this fixed soon.    Admin.  please check out why this is happening.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Well, I was FINALLY able to get back into the boards after a full two days of being completely unable to log in.  I tried every workaround listed here and in the general community thread, I tried 3 different browsers, two different computers, and cleared my cache (and my entire internet history) multiple times.  Other than this thread, which was started by a user, the only place I saw any acknowledgement of a problem was on the BNBookClubs twitter feed.  And that was after a day and a half of trying to figure out what was wrong.  

Mods:  when something like this is affecting the entire system for multiple users, THIS is what you should use those stickies at the top of the threads for.  

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

I tried evey known work around too.  Restarting, etc.   Nothing was working.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

I just had the same issue, yet it seems to have resolved itself.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Amazing!  After almost 2 days a click of the refresh page button and I'm logged on.  During that time I tried just about everything the rest of you have and nothing worked. 

I even called CS, now that was interesting.  Voicemail twice sent me to a deadend when I chose the option for Digital Support - "you have reached a non working number" - disconnect.  I finally got someone in CS by pressing zero at the main menu.  CS had no idea there was any problem with the bookclub servers so they forwarded me to DS - avoiding the voicemail black hole.  DS also had no idea there was a problem with the servers and was about to send me back to CS when I informed them that CS had sent me to them.  Great interdepartmental communication system.  Neither had knows what the other is doing.  Anyway, all DS could do was take my info and forward it to whomever programs the servers.

So, I'm finally logged back in.  Wonder how long it will last?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

very-simple wrote:

Mods:  when something like this is affecting the entire system for multiple users, THIS is what you should use those stickies at the top of the threads for.  

Exactly. Just a simple we are aware of the problem and we are working on it.

For the last few days I have been unable to reply to any messages despite trying all the work arounds listed.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

very-simple wrote:

For the last few days I have been unable to reply to any messages despite trying all the work arounds listed.

Had we been able to log in, we would have done just that. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart
0 Kudos

Paul_Hochman wrote:

LarryOnLI wrote:

very-simple wrote:

Had we been able to log in, we would have done just that. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you, for the response, the apology, and the acknowledgement that you too were unable to log in.

Frequent Contributor
psjcal
0 Kudos

Paul_Hochman wrote:

Interesting -- seems all of the rest of us were able to eventually log on -- it just took persistence, lots of it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

psjcal wrote:

Paul_Hochman wrote:

Interesting -- seems all of the rest of us were able to eventually log on -- it just took persistence, lots of it.

The problem effected, and is still effecting, users differently.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

I know I was able to log on (by hitting "register" over and over), Rav_Bunnhea was on and I think icebike was.

I tried that among other methods, nothing worked for me.