Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
estrella_
0 Kudos

Micro SD slot?

where is the slot on the Nook? (black/white)

Im not sure where the slot is, i just cant find it.

Help??

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Micro SD slot?

estrella_ wrote:

Help??

You have to take off the back.  Try the User guide starting about page 167.

Frequent Contributor
re410
0 Kudos

It's right where the documentation says it is.  You did read the documentation, right? :-)

The SD card slot is under the back cover.

I suggest you read the section called 'Inserting a microSD Card'.  It's on page 155 of the Nook User Guide (version 1.4, it may be on a different page in the 1.5 version).

Contributor
Jimboinco
0 Kudos

Just a word of warning you should turn off the nook first.  Then put the micro sd card in.  And finally turn it on again.  

I was so anxious to get a memory card in my nook and it wasn't recognized correctly.  Then I went back and read the entire section which explains all of this.  My 8GB card is recognized correctly and works great.

New User
lasttuesday

It seems like every one of these posts has a snide comment about "read the manual"...mine didn't come with a manual, just an 8 page quick-start guide.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

lasttuesday wrote:

It seems like every one of these posts has a snide comment about "read the manual"...mine didn't come with a manual, just an 8 page quick-start guide.

The user guide does not come with the nook, but it's available on the B&N website.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/index.asp?bnit=H&bnrefer=HOMEPAGE&cds2Pid=35611

Happy reading.  :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
Rose_Bee
0 Kudos

The manual should be a book on your nook itself. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

lasttuesday wrote:

It seems like every one of these posts has a snide comment about "read the manual"...

I'm not sure how directing someone to the info they've requested is snide.

If they were too lazy to look it up, I'm sure as h-e-double hockeysticks too "lazy" to look it up, type it out and be all "There, there, are your feelings intact?"

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
It's on the nook. In the My Documents section. Titled........Nook User Guide.

Inspired Contributor
Badmamajama
0 Kudos

estrella_ wrote:

Help??

I think estrella, being a newbie, is trying to say is that some coments are worded such that they appear to be snide remarks. When I first got my NC I was lost until I found the users guide. Of course, it was someone here that pointed it out for me.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Ramblings of the Engineer, Easycool
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

lasttuesday wrote:

It seems like every one of these posts has a snide comment about "read the manual"...

I'm not sure how directing someone to the info they've requested is snide.

If they were too lazy to look it up, I'm sure as h-e-double hockeysticks too "lazy" to look it up, type it out and be all "There, there, are your feelings intact?"

I ignored the reference, but I had the same reaction.  Not sure how it's "snide" to refer someone to where they can find the answer to a question.  Personally, I would welcome someone pointing me in the right direction.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

I think what people are objecting to are the responses to even simple questions by newbies that amount to RTFM. When the answer could often be given in an equally simple sentence.

It's one thing if an answer would be complex. But a polite, "Sorry this is complicated, but the manual (or this video, or whatever) explains it really well," would go a long way.

For the OP, a simple, "the micro SD slot is accessed by removing the back cover. This is a relatively simple process, for details see..." would have been preferred to the accusatory and snide tone of the haven't you read the manual–style comments.

Yes, there is a difference between politely pointing someone to the information they need and being snide about doing so.

Just my 2 cents.

Correspondent
JackalopeKing
0 Kudos

RHWright is correct. It's much more polite to just give the information and then direct someone to where they can read about it more. Also wording is just like tone of voice - both change what is being said greatly.
Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

lasttuesday wrote:

The user guide does not come with the nook, but it's available on the B&N website.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/index.asp?bnit=H&bnrefer=HOMEPAGE&cds2Pid=35611

Happy reading.  :smileyhappy:

And on the first page of the QUick Start Guide it tells you how to find it on your NOOK. I don't find it snide to send someone to the manual for these questions. I find the pictures there invaluable for this sort of question.  It's how I figured out how to put an SD card in mine!

LisaB

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

How is it rude to direct the OP to the manual, but NOT rude to waste everyone's time with a question that they could have answered by reading said manual?

Correspondent
JackalopeKing

How Re they wasting your time? Are you forced to read the thread? Forced to respond? No. There is nothing about someone asking a question that is a waste of time.
Frequent Contributor
KD67
0 Kudos

If the OP's question offends you then just ignore it.

Wordsmith
swan480

[ Edited ]

Where did I say it offended me?  I posed a question.

Here's another:  Why is it that people seem to think that only those who don't agree with you are honor-bound to ignore the post?  Those who think pointing the OP to the manual is rude can ignore those posts, just as easily as someone who thinks this is a pointless thread can ignore the OP's posts.

Just saying that maybe we ALL should do a little more ignoring and a little less pointing fingers.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369

It continues to amaze me that people purchase an EREADER yet for some reason refuse to READ the user guide . . . .

Maybe they think they bought an audiobook reader and that the user guide will read itself to them . . . :smileyvery-happy:

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

gandalf1369 wrote:

It continues to amaze me that people purchase an EREADER yet for some reason refuse to READ the user guide . . . .

And then get offended when someone suggests they do it.  :smileywink: