Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Traicovn
0 Kudos

More in store feature doesn't work?

When I try to use my nook at my local Barnes and Noble Store I am unable to access the 'more in store' features. The local Barnes and Noble is located on the Mississippi State University campus in Starkville, Ms. What do I need to do to utilize the more in store features?

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Re: More in store feature doesn't work?

Did you remember to turn your wi-fi on?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Traicovn wrote:

When I try to use my nook at my local Barnes and Noble Store I am unable to access the 'more in store' features. The local Barnes and Noble is located on the Mississippi State University campus in Starkville, Ms. What do I need to do to utilize the more in store features?

Did you ask someone at the store for assistance.  I don't know if that feature is available at University Stores, but you best bet would be to ask someone at the store.

Contributor
Traicovn
0 Kudos

Yes, my wifi was on. We just recently got the ability to even use nook's on the campus as the previous wifi security schema that the campus used was one not supported by the device I own, the nook classic (802.1x). Barnes and Noble told me several times that in the college book stores they rely on the campus to provide the network and that it would be up to the campus to provide access for the device.

The store employees were not sure as they do not sell nook's at this location.

Now that we have working wifi for the nook, I'd like to take advantage of one of the major selling points for the nook that was advertised when I purchased it, and that is the more in store offers, which offer discounts, free reading of books in store, etc.

Please tell me how to access these features I have paid for.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

You will have to go to a regular B&N store to access the More in Store features.  They only work on WiFi networs provided by B&N, not those provided by other entities.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

Nallia wrote:

You will have to go to a regular B&N store to access the More in Store features.  They only work on WiFi networs provided by B&N, not those provided by other entities.

When Nallia says "regular", she's pointing out that B&N runs a lot of college and university stores on a contract basis for the school -- yours may well be one of them.  The only B&N feature on the store is really the nameplate -- no B&N infrastructure.

If you go to the nearest B&N-owned store, you'll probably find it works just fine. :smileyhappy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
Traicovn
0 Kudos

Sadly, the nearest 'non-campus' Barnes and Noble is a 90 minute drive (one-way) from here in Tupelo, Ms. The Barnes and Noble campus bookstore, which is a two-story stand-alone structure, contains regular books as well as textbooks, school merchandise and a full starbucks we-brew cafe is one of two non-textbook-only bookstores in the community (the other is a small local book store). The next closest major book store is a smallish Books-A-Million 20 minutes away in the next city over.

I don't understand what is preventing Barnes and Noble from installing the network infrastructure required to provide the more-in-store featuers. I'm actually really glad I purchased my nook because the store reccently reconfigured the store to remove a substantial portion of the fiction section about a month ago and replaced it with school imprinted sweatpants and sweatshirts, even though today it was still over 100 degrees with the heat index.

When I have asked the representatives at the store they have suggested the option of driving to the Tupelo store, or the even farther Tuscaloosa, Al and Jackson, Ms stores.

There shouldn't be a difference between Barnes and Noble campus bookstores and Barnes and Noble non-campus bookstores when it comes to the nook. It's not like a student will be in there reading textbooks, as they can't be read on the nook anyway (but that's a whole different rant). 

Contributor
Traicovn
0 Kudos

The excuse has consistently been 'we rely on the campus to provide the network, so talk to your campus about wifi' and now that that the campus has addressed this problem, I expect Barnes and Noble to fulfill the more-in-store feature.

Contributor
Traicovn
0 Kudos

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook-in-store-experience/379002541/

" Bring your NOOK or NOOK Color into any Barnes & Noble store and enjoy even more. Connect to our complimentary Wi-Fi® , access exclusive content from top authors and enjoy special offers including deals on books and café treats "

" Free Wi-Fi in all Barnes & Noble Stores Browse and download books, magazines and newspapers in seconds, and easily check email via complimentary Wi-Fi connection offered at all Barnes & Noble stores."

*Emphasis added by me

I have added the emphasis, but their marketing for the device is an outright lie if they don't intend to provide the service at their campus locations. Nowhere does it say 'does not include Barnes and Noble stores located on university campuses' or 'Barnes and Noble Campus Bookstores'

This is no small facility....

http://www.msstate.edu/web/phototemplate.php?Id=1350

RHWright

@Traicovn:

While I appreciate your aggravation and confusion, Barnes & Noble College Booksellers, Inc., is an entirely separate subsidiary of B&N, and therefore should not considered a "Barnes & Noble" store. (In fact, for most of their history Barnes & Noble College Booksellers was an entirely separate company.) So I wouldn't go so far as to say the marketing is an "outright lie," but it is easy to see how it could be confused.

That said, to avoid this issue, it would nice for B&N to add in-store networks for the college stores. (Assuming that the contracts with the universities don't, in some way, prohibit them from making such infrastructure upgrades.)

Contributor
Traicovn
0 Kudos

As an update to this topic, we now have nooks on display/for sale in our campus Barnes and Noble. Earlier today a friend of mine  asked about the more-in-store feature they have advertised. He was told that (and I quote)

"I asked if this was an MSU network limitation.  She said that there is some system they'd have to buy and install in the store" and "the managers at this store decided it was too expensive to install"

So this is now Barnes and Nobles excuse.

So Barnes and Noble, I paid the money to use your device and your service. Why won't you spend enough to by the equipment to satisfy your end of the deal?

keriflur
0 Kudos

Have you tried politely talking to the manager of the store, or to the university?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

More In Store isn't a big deal. IMO, it's not even a small deal. It's 8-10 short articles, essays, and author bios, generally promoting some book or author. I don't even bother to keep up with what they're offering.

If you want to see what you're missing this week: http://bn.com/moreinstore

Contributor
Traicovn
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Every time I have asked I have been quite polite.

I have asked via twitter, I have asked in person at the local store and have talked to both the manager and to other store employees in the past, I have asked the universities IT department (they reccently began supporting the nook on the campuses own wifi network where they originally didn't due to the authentication system [802.1x or a VPN] that the campus utilizes), I have asked via phone support, I asked politely at the beginning of this thread. I have asked via Barnes and Noble's Facebook page multiple times. I have asked via the local stores facebook page multiple times. I have asked via email. I have been asking since I purchased my nook (1st edition wifi) in November of last year (side note: the nooks screen stopped working roughly within a week (manufacturing defect according to nook phone support) of purchasing the e-reader and I was told that I had to do a warranty replacement and my nook which I had just purchased new at full price was replaced with a refurbished nook).

I'm using this thread now to illustrate the frustration I have been experiencing given that Barnes and Noble seems unwilling to address the situation. Perhaps someone from Barnes and Noble will finally read it and address the issue.

That my friend was told this today makes me very nervous about spending any more money on e-books from Barnes and Noble. If they aren't willing to spend the money to implement the systems necessary to support the devices features that they advertise as part of the nook program in their own stores, as my friend was told today, then how can I be sure that they are commited to supporting the format I purchased my content in or the device itself in the long term?

Contributor
Traicovn
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Doug_Pardee:

Perhaps, but my home and my office are located on opposite sides of the Barnes and Noble on my way to and from work. It is a convenient place to stop, get a coffee, and maybe see what's new. More in store allows you to read excerpts from books for free (By the way, even if I never bought a book but bought a coffee every day Barnes and Noble would make a significant profit off of me using the more in store feature).  "Stop by any Barnes & Noble store with your NOOK or NOOK Color in hand and read NOOK Books FREE for up to one hour per day." the more in store site says. If I bought a 5.00 cup of coffee every day while walking from my house to my office, and read for 30 minutes to an hour, even if I never purchased the book I was reading I'd buy at least 6-7 coffees, and probably would be more likely to buy the book too so I could finish it outside of the Barnes and Noble. Given the limited selection of books available locally (we have a small local book store also) it is nice to be able to browse and better preview a larger selection then what is offered in the store. To give you a hint of how rural the area is, the only escalator for roughly an hour in any direction is located in this store, and when the store opened people came with their kids to ride the escalator because it was unusal.

The first week or so I had my nook there was a coupon that allowed me to get a drink in the cafe at a discount, however I could not utilize it because my local Barnes and Noble didn't have the infrastructure in place.

Regardless, it is an advertised feature that is an integrated part of the device and service you buy into when you buy a nook over another e-reader. The fact that Barnes and Noble is not willing to purchase the equipment to support the device yet still advertises the feature is very unsettling from a consumer standpoint.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Traicovn wrote:

There shouldn't be a difference between Barnes and Noble campus bookstores and Barnes and Noble non-campus bookstores when it comes to the nook. It's not like a student will be in there reading textbooks, as they can't be read on the nook anyway (but that's a whole different rant). 

There shouldn't be (in your opinion) but there is.  Full.stop.

NOOK "extrra" features don't work in the campus bookstores as they aren't "real" B&N.  You don't have to like that answer, but that's the truth.

As for what the store employee told your friend; store staff apparently make things up when they don't have the answer to customer questions.  I'm almost certain that this is what happened.  I wouldn't expect the college bookstores to have the amenities of a "real" B&N as they aren't "real" B&Ns.

Contributor
Traicovn
0 Kudos

They are in fact a 'real B&N'. They have been owned and operated as a 'wholly owned subsidiary' for over two years now:

From http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com/our_company/our_main_businesses/our_main_businesses.html

Barnes & Noble College Booksellers
In September 2009, Barnes & Noble, Inc. completed the acquisition of Barnes & Noble College Booksellers.  This wholly owned subsidiary operates more than 600 college bookstores on college and university campuses in 50 states, serving nearly 4 million students and more than 250,000 faculty.  As part of the transaction, Barnes & Noble, Inc., also acquired the Barnes & Noble trade name that had been owned by College and licensed to Inc.

So for two whole years Barnes and Noble's college bookstores have been owned and operated by B&N Inc.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Traicovn wrote:

More in store allows you to read excerpts from books for free

No, it doesn't. I think you're confusing it with Read In Store.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Traicovn wrote:

Barnes & Noble College Booksellers
In September 2009, Barnes & Noble, Inc. completed the acquisition of Barnes & Noble College Booksellers.  This wholly owned subsidiary operates more than 600 college bookstores on college and university campuses in 50 states, serving nearly 4 million students and more than 250,000 faculty.  As part of the transaction, Barnes & Noble, Inc., also acquired the Barnes & Noble trade name that had been owned by College and licensed to Inc.

This says to me that they are "Barnes & Noble College Booksellers."  

This does not say to me that they are "Barnes & Noble."

Clearly you believe they are "real" bookstores.  I've been in one (about a month ago?) on Duquesne University campus, and I can tell you that at least that location is not a store I'd confuse with a "real" B&N.

Contributor
Traicovn
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

http://www.msstate.edu/web/phototemplate.php?Id=1350

http://www.msstate.edu/web/maps/aerialdetail.php?id=9

This is a sizeable two-story store. The entire right hand side of the building (the section with the skylights) is all dedicated to Barnes and Noble. The smaller portion to the left is the institutions welcome center and a small clock museum. The thin portion in the middle is primarily dedicated to university merchandise on the first floor (although this has expanded lately as the floor space for books has been reduced on the first floor) as well as study guides, non-text-book social sciences and non-text-book humanities books, and biographies on the second floor. The upper portion of the larger part of the Barnes and Noble side is dedicated primarily to textbooks and school supplies, but the entire lower portion is the cafe, 'regular' books, and university merchandise.

It is a roughly 30000 square foot retail space.

Sign over the entrance:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pyite04/1198669263/in/photostream

From the other side

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/BoardtownPics/view/6613400

Nevermind when I purchased my nook and asked in 2010 (well after B&N 'fully acquired' B&N College Booksellers) I was told that the feature would work in ALL Barnes and Nobles (not qualified, and it still isn't anywhere) and was told time and time again that it was up to the campus to support the nook on the wifi so that these services would be available.

The campus has met their end of the agreement, and now that the local campus store sells the nook (and the flyers at the information booth the other day before the nooks actually arrived still advertised the 'more-in-store feature) the story has changed to 'we won't buy the equipment necessary to support the feature we are selling you in the device we are selling you'