Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

Re: Most prized book you own

The Principles of Knitting by June Hemmons Hiatt -- a textbook of knitting techniques, an amazing resource for knitters, now long out-of-print.

Also, my signed, illustrated, limited editions of A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin -- particularly A Clash of Kings because it's illustrated by John Howe.

Contributor
bayt
0 Kudos

Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind

Probably the most masterfully written & engaging book i own. Great storyline, great character progression and perspectives and a twist on the usual fantasy. I've bought it about 11 times now as gifts/replacements.

Everyone remotely interested in the genre should give it a read, you wont be disappointed :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
juneau
0 Kudos

kivvie wrote:

I have a 1884 copy of Collected Stories of Edgar Allen Poe. Its a very small (like 3.5 by 4 inches or so), hand stitched copy. It was my great grandmother's. Reading goes WAY back in our family!

WOW! That probably goes beyond "most prized book" and all the way up to "most prized possession"!

I don't really have a most prized book.

I dragged my copy of Blackbird Singing just about everywhere I went up until I got my Nook, which took over that space in my purse. Same for my copy of Paul McCartney Guitar Chord Songbook. You might say that I prized them. It should be mentioned that I'm hoping both of these become ebooks. 

I also have a tikkun from 1910 that's pretty special. A tikkun is a book that has the entire chumash written out twice - once in Hebrew as it appears on a traditional sefer Torah scroll, and once in Hebrew with all the vowels written in. At the time it was printed, a boy would use a book like this to study for his bar mitzvah. It would be more prized for me if it had been in my family for more than a few months, and if I knew more about the history of this particular copy. Also if it had all its pages and the binding weren't held together with electrical tape.

Distinguished Correspondent
Jadjuka
0 Kudos

My fav physical book would be Colors of the Mountain by Da Chen. It was a random book I thought was interesting. Read it and fell in love with it. When our house had an attack of sosid bugs that happen to love paper and glue, I fought hard to keep this book from being infested. And yes, I won the war. 

Fav ebook would have to be Shade's Children by Garth Nix. I got this as a birthday present from a friend (in physical format). I lost it to the sosids. T_T But when I got my nook and found the book in electronic format I HAD to get it. *huggles my nook*