Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
MZ123
0 Kudos

Moving quickly through ebook

New Nook user, and I can't find any way to do this: Say I want to flip rapidly forward (or back) through the book. "Search" will work if I know a phrase that appears near the section I want. There needs to be a way to go to a specific page number, or at least a general point in the book.

I understand that, for example, page 120 in the Nook book won't be the same as page 120 in a dead tree version, so page number navigation would be an imprecise tool - but if you know the hardback is 300 pages and the Nook has 400 pages, and you want to go to about halfway, you could go to page 200 and then page backward or forward a few times to get to the desired section.

What I've seen in ereader apps on my iPod and phone is a progress bar - you can slide a pointer to the left or right to move rapidly back or forward in a book and move to that section of the book. Again, imprecise but a LOT better than taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap ad nauseam to get to a different section.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Re: Moving quickly through ebook

MZ123 wrote:

New Nook user, and I can't find any way to do this: Say I want to flip rapidly forward (or back) through the book. "Search" will work if I know a phrase that appears near the section I want. There needs to be a way to go to a specific page number, or at least a general point in the book.

I understand that, for example, page 120 in the Nook book won't be the same as page 120 in a dead tree version, so page number navigation would be an imprecise tool - but if you know the hardback is 300 pages and the Nook has 400 pages, and you want to go to about halfway, you could go to page 200 and then page backward or forward a few times to get to the desired section.

What I've seen in ereader apps on my iPod and phone is a progress bar - you can slide a pointer to the left or right to move rapidly back or forward in a book and move to that section of the book. Again, imprecise but a LOT better than taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap ad nauseam to get to a different section.

I assume you mean on the e-ink gen 1 nook.

if so, on the bottom color screen section (while your book is open) press Go To and then PAGE (or chapter or cover...)

so there is that functionality

Frequent Contributor
romsfuulynn
0 Kudos

MZ123 wrote:

On N1E (original Nook) Go to page works pretty well - it gives you a slider bar, and when you pause the bar it will refresh to the page you have stopped and you can look at the page.  Very fine navigation (2-5 pages) is imprecise though, but if you use the hardware forward and back you then lose the slider bar and have to start it up again.

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

Not that it will help you now, but it looks like it will be easier to jump forward and backward multiple pages with the new NOOK (2nd Edition).  You simply hold down the page turn buttons.

Contributor
MZ123
0 Kudos

Thanks all! I have a Nook Color - and figured it out a day or so after I posted. When I tap on the bottom of the screen while reading, to bring up the menu choices (content, search etc.), it shows a drag bar exactly like what I was thinking of. Not as precise as "go to page X" but definitely better than nothing.