Correspondent
snowfireangel
0 Kudos

My Brother Got My Mom a NOOK!

Today I am going to my mom's to teacher her about the Nook and how to use it.  My brother is in town and brought her one for her 79th birthday.  The first thing I did was email her the link to the Nook Manual...  Then called and told her there's an acronym for when people start asking OBVIOUS questions about how to use the Nook....RTFM.  OMG, she figured it out right away - and scolded me about the "f"  :smileysurprised:  LOL!

So, I hope she's had time to read the manual and play with the Nook a bit before I get there.  My dad had been dead set against her getting a Nook - because of having to be registered with a cc.  But, since my BROTHER got it for her, it's ok now.  :smileymad:

Just had to share my fun news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (those are my exclamation points for the day)

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: My Brother Got My Mom a NOOK!

@snowfireangel

That's great -- here's hoping that your tutorial goes well!  Be sure to show her how to make the typeface bigger early on -- it could save you a lot of calls and complaints later.

One thing I'm not clear on, though:  why would your mother scold you for saying "fine"?  :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

I'm sure your mom will love her Nook as my mom loves hers. I can barely keep up with her need for more books to read. It is a labor of love, though, so I am happy to do it.

Wordsmith
Tess75
0 Kudos

I remember doing the same thing for my mom. She's in her fifties, but is so not into technology. For weeks I was getting calls, "How do I do this, how do I do that"? OMG:smileysurprised:! Then she wouldn't use it because she still had books to read. I'm like mom you'll never use the Nook then you have so many books, besides the fact that she had wanted it after seeing mine. I wished I never bought it for her. The whole reason I bought it for her was because she has medical problems and it was getting really hard for her to read anymore.

Now she gets it a little better,(about nine months later):smileywink:! She will only download free books and those are usually the Free Fridays!LOL!  I still every once in awhile will get a call. But if it makes her happy, then it was worth all the hassle. I mean really she had to raise me!:smileysurprised:! I'm sure she had times she wished she could have sent me back to the store, OMG did I just say that. I was a Perfect Angel gave her no trouble at all.

I'm glad she can read again. I don't know what I would do if I wasn't able to read. That's how I get away from everything. My Destresser!!! 

Happy Reading Everyone! I'm glad your mom was able to get her Nook, and your dad was OK with it! Just imagine how much technology has changed since they where born. No I'm not saying their old, but even our kids will say the same thing about us.>Laughing<

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
Although it's a good conversation piece when out in public!!
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

snowfireangel, what a wonderful brother you have! :smileyhappy:

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Correspondent
snowfireangel
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

One thing I'm not clear on, though:  why would your mother scold you for saying "fine"?  :smileyvery-happy:

Darn!  I wish I would have thought of that for a response!!!:smileywink:

Correspondent
snowfireangel
0 Kudos

ChipPM wrote:

I'm sure your mom will love her Nook as my mom loves hers. I can barely keep up with her need for more books to read. It is a labor of love, though, so I am happy to do it.

Thanks ChipPM.  My mom has always been my "rock" and I am so glad when I can help her with something.

Correspondent
snowfireangel
0 Kudos

Tess75 wrote:

I remember doing the same thing for my mom. She's in her fifties, but is so not into technology. For weeks I was getting calls, "How do I do this, how do I do that"? OMG:smileysurprised:! Then she wouldn't use it because she still had books to read. I'm like mom you'll never use the Nook then you have so many books, besides the fact that she had wanted it after seeing mine. I wished I never bought it for her. The whole reason I bought it for her was because she has medical problems and it was getting really hard for her to read anymore.

Now she gets it a little better,(about nine months later):smileywink:! She will only download free books and those are usually the Free Fridays!LOL!  I still every once in awhile will get a call. But if it makes her happy, then it was worth all the hassle. I mean really she had to raise me!:smileysurprised:! I'm sure she had times she wished she could have sent me back to the store, OMG did I just say that. I was a Perfect Angel gave her no trouble at all.

I'm glad she can read again. I don't know what I would do if I wasn't able to read. That's how I get away from everything. My Destresser!!! 

Happy Reading Everyone! I'm glad your mom was able to get her Nook, and your dad was OK with it! Just imagine how much technology has changed since they where born. No I'm not saying their old, but even our kids will say the same thing about us.>Laughing<

Thanks Tess!  I'm glad your mom is enjoying her Nook now :smileyhappy:  I'm sure I'll be getting tons of phone calls to help walk my mom through things, too.  Reading is my destresser, too!

Correspondent
snowfireangel
0 Kudos

CasperAZ wrote:

snowfireangel, what a wonderful brother you have! :smileyhappy:

CasperAZ, I cannot begin to tell you what a wonderful brother I have!  We nearly killed each other as kids (I'm 14 months older than him) and love each other like crazy now.  He is so good to my parents, too.  My mother is in 7th Heaven now that she got the Nook.  I'm going to buy her a cover for it.  :smileyvery-happy:

Wordsmith
Tess75
0 Kudos

snowfireangel wrote:

Tess75 wrote:

Thanks Tess!  I'm glad your mom is enjoying her Nook now :smileyhappy:  I'm sure I'll be getting tons of phone calls to help walk my mom through things, too.  Reading is my destresser, too!

Most likely(LOL)! I found a book that explains how to use the Nook. It was only $0.99 so I downloaded into her library so she could go to it any time she had a question! I even use it, if possible when someone purchases the Nook the retailer should tell the customer ot better yet already have it in the Nook library!:smileywink: Ok it's by William Percy, book is "101 Nook Tips, Tricks,and Hacks" it's only 14 pages, but it breaks it down into simple terms. It makes useing the Nook so much easier. There are times I still refure back to it if there is something I'm not real clear about.    I hope this will help lower yours and your moms telephone bills!:smileyvery-happy: Happy reading to you snowfireangel! I'm glad it all worked out.

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
Although it's a good conversation piece when out in public!!
Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

Guess we know who your dad's favorite child is :smileytongue:

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Correspondent
Rocknsoul
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

@snowfireangel

That's great -- here's hoping that your tutorial goes well!  Be sure to show her how to make the typeface bigger early on -- it could save you a lot of calls and complaints later.

Thank you for that! The word "fine" is good. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
MichaelWallace23
0 Kudos

I remember once, when my mother had lost a file, I showed her how to open Windows Explorer and search for it. She took notes. Six months later, when I flew home for Christmas, she still had the sticky with my instructions attached to the side of her monitor, to refer to whenever she needed to find a file. It was like a magical formula to be consulted, rather than information to be learned.

So last month, when my mother started asking me questions about Nook/Kindle/iPad for reading books, I knew that a tipping point had been reached.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

MichaelWallace23 wrote:

I remember once, when my mother had lost a file, I showed her how to open Windows Explorer and search for it. She took notes. Six months later, when I flew home for Christmas, she still had the sticky with my instructions attached to the side of her monitor, to refer to whenever she needed to find a file. It was like a magical formula to be consulted, rather than information to be learned.

This is my mother, as well.  I love my little-old-lady Mom.  

Correspondent
snowfireangel
0 Kudos

Tess75 wrote:

Most likely(LOL)! I found a book that explains how to use the Nook. It was only $0.99 so I downloaded into her library so she could go to it any time she had a question! I even use it, if possible when someone purchases the Nook the retailer should tell the customer ot better yet already have it in the Nook library!:smileywink: Ok it's by William Percy, book is "101 Nook Tips, Tricks,and Hacks" it's only 14 pages, but it breaks it down into simple terms. It makes useing the Nook so much easier. There are times I still refure back to it if there is something I'm not real clear about.    I hope this will help lower yours and your moms telephone bills!:smileyvery-happy: Happy reading to you snowfireangel! I'm glad it all worked out.

I'm going to have to tell my mom about that book and I think she's already figured out how to download :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
snowfireangel
0 Kudos

Theriot_Publishing wrote:

Guess we know who your dad's favorite child is :smileytongue:

LOL! 
Correspondent
snowfireangel
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

MichaelWallace23 wrote:

This is my mother, as well.  I love my little-old-lady Mom.  

My mom calls on a regular basis to have me tell her how to copy and paste...and I've been telling her for years LOL. Some things she remembers easily and others just slip by.  I think she's going to do great with the Nook, though.