Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
AkilahR
0 Kudos

My Kindle-Owning Friend was Grateful for Nook Today

He was happy because he wants a second one for his wife, and Amazon is shipping there new Wi Fi only versions for $139 -- pointedly $10 less than the equivalent Nook, the result of Amazon stepping up competition. He said that the Nook was responsible.

I think it is an interesting contest, but Amazon, not B&N, has more to lose -- if new ebook buyers begin to feel that Kindle's DRM format restricts them in the marketplace, they will go to B&N, now Borders etc: there is Kindle, there is everyone else, and one day everyone else will win -- losing marketshare will turn Kindle into the Betamax of ebooks if and when it goes below a certain threshold.

Personally I've placed my bets in ereader formatted books, and I'm also frightened of what a virtual monopoly a single ebook supplier will do to the marketplace (and was turned off by the ridiculous lengths you had to go to to add your own documents to the original Kindle). But if B&N forces Amazon to give my friend a better deal, good for him.

Frequent Contributor
JustTrish
0 Kudos

Re: My Kindle-Owning Friend was Grateful for Nook Today

[ Edited ]

AkilahR wrote:

Personally I've placed my bets in ereader formatted books, and I'm also frightened of what a virtual monopoly a single ebook supplier will do to the marketplace (and was turned off by the ridiculous lengths you had to go to to add your own documents to the original Kindle). But if B&N forces Amazon to give my friend a better deal, good for him.

I don't worry too much about Amazon's format, because I'm sure they have plans to sometime in the future change.  Right now what they are doing has more to do with competition and positioning. They've managed to take about 80% of the digital books market because they have a wider selection at an average lower price.  B&N is going to need to step it up.

The good thing about this competition is that eReaders are now inexpensive enough for us to not have to choose which one we will have, but have as many as we want.  With both top eReaders at less than $200, it's harldy any different than having two cameras.

I love the nook.  It's my favorite eReader BY FAR, but at the end of the day, I rather be able to find the title in an eBook format, and pay less for it.  I'm not going to pay more so I can read it in a prettier device.  Sorry.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980

They managed to take 80% of the market because they were the only big name in town for two years. They have the largest selection for the same reason. It isn't because people love proprietary formats.

Correspondent
Doc_Nukem

[ Edited ]

AkilahR wrote:

He was happy because he wants a second one for his wife, and Amazon is shipping there new Wi Fi only versions for $139 -- pointedly $10 less than the equivalent Nook, the result of Amazon stepping up competition. He said that the Nook was responsible.

Yes, but after ten best-sellers from the local library on the nook versus ten purchased for the kindle, the total outlay for the nook remains 149, while it is up to 239 for Amazon.
Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

Doc_Nukem wrote:
Yes, but after ten best-sellers from the local library on the nook versus ten purchased for the kindle, the total outlay for the nook remains 149, while it is up to 239 for Amazon.

This is something to most definitely point out to folks...

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Frequent Contributor
Dhanu
0 Kudos

Doc_Nukem wrote:

That is very true,  you have read those ten books, which is great.  But for some, and for me I would rather, in general, own them.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Dhanu wrote:

Doc_Nukem wrote:

That is very true,  you have read those ten books, which is great.  But for some, and for me I would rather, in general, own them.

Although I enjoy owning books, there are a large number of books that I've read, both in physical books and eBooks, that I know I will never read again and don't feel the need to own.  I used to donate all those books to the library.  Those are the books I read from the library and it is really nice that I've been able to do that.  Especially true for a couple of books that I found I didn't enjoy and didn't finish.

In any event, both devices have their advantages and disadvantages, each person has to decide what is most important to them and go with it.  It doesn't have to be one or the other for everyone.

Reader 4
Meemo_B
0 Kudos

Doc_Nukem wrote:

Which is pertinent for someone who has a decent selection of digital library books, but not every library does - mine certainly doesn't.  On the other hand, as a Kindle owner and brand new "expectant" Nook owner I've noticed that Amazon offers a lot more free books (recent, not public domain) than any of the others (Sony, B&N, Kobo, and now Borders).  I pay attention because between all my reading apps I've picked up free (and/or bargain) eBooks from every one of them.
I'm looking forward to getting my Nook and being able to have a good comparison between it, my Kindle and my Sony (which I'll be selling once I get the Nook up and running). 
Meemo
B&N Bookseller
Candy33
0 Kudos

Amazon states they have about 600,000 ebooks, where BN has over 1 million. And with the free Fridays and the bn.com/freelibrary you have way more free books than are counted in our 900,000 free ebooks. Plus you can download from other places and use Calibre to put them into epub format making this a useless argument.

Candy
Frequent Contributor
JustTrish
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Candy33 wrote:

Amazon states they have about 600,000 ebooks, where BN has over 1 million. And with the free Fridays and the bn.com/freelibrary you have way more free books than are counted in our 900,000 free ebooks. Plus you can download from other places and use Calibre to put them into epub format making this a useless argument.

I don't know where you are getting your stats, but Amazon is the undisputed leader in eBook titles.  What makes arguments useless is when you have both devices. One can then avail themselves of all the features both offer, such as library lending/free books with the nook, and wider availability/lower prices through Amazon.

Amazon offers free books as well, btw.  Those of us who frequent Inkmesh already know this.

And while it is true that the reason Amazon has a greater selection is because the Kindle has been about two years,  All the more reason to have both devices and enjoy the benefits. 

Why should it be an either/or?  Both devices are under $200!

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

JustTrish wrote:

Why should it be an either/or?  Both devices are under $200!

I can think of at least three good reasons right off the top of my head:

1. Not everybody has a spare $139 to spend on a device that duplicates the function of one they've already bought once. (To suggest otherwise when unemployment is pushing 10% in this country is more than a little insensitive, but that's just my opinion.)

2. The additional cost of duplicating incompatible libraries, and/or the inconvenience of having to keep track of which books are on which device, and

3. Refusing to support proprietary formats and closed architectures on general principle.  This last is a big reason that I don't have a Kindle and don't expect that I ever will, although I'm all for Amazon in most areas. :smileytongue:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Correspondent
Doc_Nukem
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

3. Refusing to support proprietary formats and closed architectures on general principle.  This last is a big reason that I don't have a Kindle and don't expect that I ever will, although I'm all for Amazon in most areas. :smileytongue:

If you read the pros and cons of Amazon supporting the ePub standard, they always sound like they were written by an MBA or accountant with little real-world common sense. Yes, by having the largest installed base of e-readers and a complete lock-in to their company, they can guarantee continued e-book sales.

Common sense says that the majority of current Kindle owners would continue to buy from Amazon regardless of format (it's easy). Common sense also says you could pick up e-book sales from virtually all other e-reader owners as they are likely far more knowledgeable about (and comfortable with) side-loading books (most having done it).

Add to that the significant number of us (myself included) that will absolutely refuse to buy a device which will lock us into one retailer. Microsoft and its Office suite with its formats should have made everyone aware of the problems/costs associated with proprietary formats, and those are not nearly as bad as the Kindle format as other programs can read/save them. (FYI, most of my computers run Linux, and all run Open Office).

I really like the looks and specs of the Kindle 3--other than Amazon's apparently dogmatic insistence on retaining the ugly keyboard--but the lack of ePub support kills it for me completely. I would seriously consider a Kindle as my next e-reader ONLY if it supports ePub.

_____

As an aside: If you have never heard of or tried Open Office, you might just take a visit to their website. I have not used Word, Excel, or Powerpoint for my own documents in years.

Frequent Contributor
JustTrish
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ABthree wrote: 

I can think of at least three good reasons right off the top of my head:

1. Not everybody has a spare $139 to spend on a device that duplicates the function of one they've already bought once. (To suggest otherwise when unemployment is pushing 10% in this country is more than a little insensitive, but that's just my opinion.)

2. The additional cost of duplicating incompatible libraries, and/or the inconvenience of having to keep track of which books are on which device, and

1)  Not everybody does.  Agreed.  But then, not everybody has a spare $150 to buy either device.  And even of those that do, not everyone is inclined to purchase an eReader.  Other than an opportunity to inject an emotional argument by calling me insensitive, I don't see that this is any kind of point.  The demographics of those who own eReaders shows that most, if not all, do have an extra the $150 to spare for another device.  Please see below:

Mediamark says there are approximately 2.1 million US adults who own eReaders. The firm said that owners are "more likely than the average adult to be well-educated and have high incomes . . .They are also far more likely to be heavy Internet users." (This of course makes sense, given that these are largely luxuries or "frivilous" devices right now)

At 56.3% of e-reader users, men outnumber women (43.7%). Adults ages 35-54 are the “sweet spot” for this product, as they are 20% more likely than the average adult to own an e-reader.

E-book owners are 11% more likely than the average adult to own their home and are 87% more likely to have a household income of $100,000 or higher annually. They are also 111% more likely to have obtained a Bachelor’s or post-graduate degree.

2) Lucky for me I can keep this straight.  For those that don't you there are websites out there that can help you such as Good Reads and Library Thing, among others. 

3) You'd be surprised how little the average consumer cares about this. If they did, the Kindle 3 would not have sold out in 4 days. Forrester Research, a market-analysis firm, reckons Amazon will sell 3.5 million Kindles in the United States this year, bringing its total number in U.S. readers' hands to 6 million by the end of 2010.  That's a lot of people who don't care about formats.

Each eReader has its pluses and minuses.  My point is that you don't have to choose just one.  If you only have a nook, then it doesn't matter if Amazon has the lowest price, or is the only one with the eBook, because you can't use their format on the nook.  With the nook, you can shop around, and even download books from the library, you don't have to buy from Amazon.

For me, that's well worth the extra $150.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

*shrugs*  I am in that demographic and I won't buy a Kindle because I think it's redundant.  I have no desire to have two ebook readers with two different sets of books on them.  That, to me, would be a waste of money.  I'd rather spend it on the hardcovers I still love to buy and more ebooks for my NOOK.

It may be a viable answer for some, but for many it isn't.

Contributor
ebooker
0 Kudos

It appears to be simple for many, either you are interested in the library books in your area or you aren't.  People who aren't will more than likely gravitate to the Kindle, while those who feel library books important will more than likely gravitate to the Nook.  DRM at this point is really not important.  At some point it may become so, but by that time all ebook sellers will have converted to one type. 

Just a little correction to some of the above information, Amazon has around 650,000 non public domain books available on its site for the Kindle as well there is available 1.8 million public domain books.  These are the most recent numbers put out by Amazon and have been validated.  There are many sites that also have available books compatible with the Kindle.  Rumor has it that libraries may soon be carrying Kindle compatible books, though those rumors may or may not be true.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

ebooker wrote:

It appears to be simple for many, either you are interested in the library books in your area or you aren't.  People who aren't will more than likely gravitate to the Kindle, while those who feel library books important will more than likely gravitate to the Nook.  DRM at this point is really not important.  At some point it may become so, but by that time all ebook sellers will have converted to one type. 

Just a little correction to some of the above information, Amazon has around 650,000 non public domain books available on its site for the Kindle as well there is available 1.8 million public domain books.  These are the most recent numbers put out by Amazon and have been validated.  There are many sites that also have available books compatible with the Kindle.  Rumor has it that libraries may soon be carrying Kindle compatible books, though those rumors may or may not be true.

It would be really nice if this is true.  I've come across a good number of people who would love it if they could read library ebooks on their Kindles.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Prior to purchasing my Nook I borrowed most of my books from the library and supplemented those books with a few that I've purchased.

Since buying my Nook back in March that hasn't changed a bit except I don't actually see the librarian or a cash register in a bookstore any more.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nallia wrote:

ebooker wrote:

It would be really nice if this is true.  I've come across a good number of people who would love it if they could read library ebooks on their Kindles.

Actually it wouldn't be that great.  With the limited funds that most public libraries have they would then have to spend money on two different ebook file formats which would either double their costs or halve their purchases.

Just points out another reason for an ebook standard.

And if they wanted to read library books on an ereader they should have purchased a nook :smileywink: