Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

Re: My NOOK was stolen!

I'm so sorry that your nook was stolen.

I would have been a wreck if mine was ever stolen. I forgot it at work once and I was freaking out. 

I'm glad you filed a complaint.

You are right, all Nook's have serial numbers and if you deactivate it they would have to activate it themselves, but they would loose your books that are from B&N I think but I don't know for certain. I'm just guessing.

I don't know if Barnes & Noble does anything like that though.

Wordsmith
Michael-V

@All,

If your NOOK is lost or stolen, please contact our Customer Service Team at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665).  Also, please change your password on the BN.com account to which your NOOK is registered.

Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

Thank you Michael-V

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

There's no wire tap involved.   Each nook has a serial number.   To register the nook on B&N, the serial number is reported.   If the serial number is shown as stolen, B&N can dis-allow the registration.

This is what teh satellite radio companies do.   You report your satellite receiver stolen, no one else can activate that receiver.   

I believe a police report should be required, but beyond that...it becomes a civil issue between the person who claims it was stolen and the person trying to register it.

---------
Don
Correspondent
sharno22
0 Kudos

I feel just awful for you. I've always wondered and worried about this. I hope they catch the thief. I probably would have had the local law enforcement appear in the lobby of the hotel. You might have gotten some results.

Hope everything works out well for you!

Correspondent
iambrad

Tinkturtle wrote:

Just curious, can B&N track stolen nooks if they are re-registered? I'm think cell phone companies know when a phone has a bad ESN, can B&N track serial number of stolen nooks?

I have been told that they can, in fact track your nook. They can identify which account a given nook is signed in to. No one has said how willing they will be to cooperate, or what sort of proof is needed for them to hand that information over to you. I don't know if you will need a police report, court order, or what, but they can identify an individual nook, from that get the last IP address used, and get any account information related to the account it was signed in on.

If the person uses their real address, it would be just a simple matter of showing up at their door and telling them you want it back.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

RodneyJT wrote:

But seeing how every nook is traceable to some degree by the sim card alone (at least the 3g), I would say if B & N wanted when a registered owner of a nook reported to them that a nook was stolen and unregistered then it could be flagged that if that nook was to try and be registered again it would fail as a stolen device until the original owner called to verify possesion of the nook.

There have been reports of people getting nooks that they could not register, and upon calling support they were told the nook was marked as having been previously registered.  Maybe these were refurbs but who knows).  

So there is some indication that there is such a trap in place, but B&N isn't talking about it, (which is wise).

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

iambrad wrote:

I have been told that they can, in fact track your nook. They can identify which account a given nook is signed in to. No one has said how willing they will be to cooperate,

If the person uses their real address, it would be just a simple matter of showing up at their door and telling them you want it back.

I doubt you will get any identifying information from ANY company without a Police involvement or a court order.

I doubt you will get Police interested for the small cost of a nook.

Showing up on some gangster's door step demanding things is generally a bad idea.

Frequent Contributor
JEJoyce
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

RodneyJT wrote:

But seeing how every nook is traceable to some degree by the sim card alone (at least the 3g), I would say if B & N wanted when a registered owner of a nook reported to them that a nook was stolen and unregistered then it could be flagged that if that nook was to try and be registered again it would fail as a stolen device until the original owner called to verify possesion of the nook.

There have been reports of people getting nooks that they could not register, and upon calling support they were told the nook was marked as having been previously registered.  Maybe these were refurbs but who knows).  

So there is some indication that there is such a trap in place, but B&N isn't talking about it, (which is wise).

Actually they do talk about it if you're in a position to have to report one lost/stolen.

I've unfortunately been in that position after inadvertently leaving my original nook onboard a flight.

When I called digital support to have it removed, they told me they would add the device to their "blacklist" so it would not only be able to be registered or to use any store/"my library" features, but that it would show up flagged as a lost/stolen device if someone were to call in for help registering it, etc.

I was told that if I were to recover the device, digital support would have to verify my identity (through confirming additional information on my account) before they would be able to reactivate the device.

Distinguished Correspondent
MegSLP
0 Kudos

I'm going into NOOK withdrawals while impatiently waiting for my new NOOK (refurb off the B&N page on eBay) to show up.  I got all excited because FedEx tried to make a delivery today but no, it was for my husband.  :smileysad:

However, I am occupying myself be re-reading the last Harry Potter since the movie comes out and Jo won't allow the books in an e-format anyways. 

New User
swamprat2

My Nook was stolen 2 weeks ago. When I called BN they took the info and said it would be blacklisted so that it can never be re-registered (except by me if it gets returned). :smileysurprised:)

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

It would be nice if B&N was able to flag stolen NOOKs so that they were not only locked out of reregistration but the rough location of attempts to use it (via 3G triangulation or IP number from Wifi) were reported.  That information should already be available to to them so it wouldn't be much to upload last contact time and location info to the registered user's account (leaving it to the user to do what they want with that information).

I suppose the lawyers would advise B&N it's better to just not provide any info (i.e., maintain the status quo) as some idiot will take the next step and somehow imply it's B&N's responsibility to confiscate and return the stolen device to the user since they have location information.

Sorry to hear the OP had her Nook stolen but glad she was able to get another quickly.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Distinguished Correspondent
smiller492

I don't know how things are done in NY, but the police department I work for would take a report, the nook would be entered into the computer as stolen property.  They also have the ability now to scan eBay as well as other internet auction sites for stolen property.  You wouldn't believe the stuff we have recovered!

But that's just us...

New User
atlantan
0 Kudos

I have a NOOK I bought off Amazon that cannot be registered. The seller stopped communicating with me after I told him I wanted my money back if he couldn't de-register it so that I could use it.

I told BN support that if they would contact the original owner, I'd be happy to return it to them since it is useless to me. I even offered to send it to BN so they could do something with it.

The tech told me "we have any way to contact the person who registered it".

I asked, "You don't have their email address?"

He said, "No, we don't have their phone number or nothing like that. Besides we wouldn't do that."

I could understand if the tech had simply told me BN wouldn't contact the registered user. But to insult me by telling me they don't have the email address of the registered user? How do they verify the registered user if that user attempts to use tech support for some sort of problem?

Anyhow, I'll throw the NOOK away (in a recycling center, of course). I will get a refund from Amazon since the seller refuses to take responsibility for selling me a defective product.

But there's no refund for the registered user who had it swiped.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

atlantan wrote:

I could understand if the tech had simply told me BN wouldn't contact the registered user. But to insult me by telling me they don't have the email address of the registered user?

Why bother B&N about it? Just email the registered owner yourself.

Frequent Contributor
JEJoyce
0 Kudos

I'm assuming the device he bought had been wiped/reset so that out of the box it appeared to be new or at least ready to be registered and used.

If that's the case, then he wouldn't HAVE access to the former owner's e-mail or other contact information.

However, I'm somewhat surprised he'd expect B&N to tell him if they had the e-mail address (which I suspect that particular agent probably didn't. Just had the device popping up as blacklisted), and had they acknowledged they had access to it, they certainly wouldn't have provided it to him to use, so...

Inspired Contributor
CriticalReception
0 Kudos

atlantan wrote:

I have a NOOK I bought off Amazon that cannot be registered. The seller stopped communicating with me after I told him I wanted my money back if he couldn't de-register it so that I could use it.

I told BN support that if they would contact the original owner, I'd be happy to return it to them since it is useless to me. I even offered to send it to BN so they could do something with it.

The tech told me "we have any way to contact the person who registered it".

I asked, "You don't have their email address?"

He said, "No, we don't have their phone number or nothing like that. Besides we wouldn't do that."

I could understand if the tech had simply told me BN wouldn't contact the registered user. But to insult me by telling me they don't have the email address of the registered user? How do they verify the registered user if that user attempts to use tech support for some sort of problem?

Anyhow, I'll throw the NOOK away (in a recycling center, of course). I will get a refund from Amazon since the seller refuses to take responsibility for selling me a defective product.

But there's no refund for the registered user who had it swiped.

A couple of things:

1. Why are you seeing when you try to deregister the device? Is it asking you for a password and/or email address? If so you might want to try a hard reset to see if that would work. I'm not saying it will, but it is definitely something you might want to try before tossing the device. My guess, and it is only a guess, is whomever you bought it from probably changed their email address which caused issues with the nook. Called customer service and got frustated and said "to hell with this" I will just sell it. Thought that by selling it they had finally gotten rid of it only to have the same issue with the deregistering to pop up again. So the user who sold you the device may very well be the registered user. 

2. Technically, the tech only told you that he didn't have their phone number, and my guess is that unless someone reports their nook stolen Barnes and Noble isn't going to intervene.

New User
atlantan
0 Kudos

Because the NOOK has been reset, so there is no original owner info on the device itself.

New User
So_Dumb
0 Kudos

My Nook HD+ was stolen out off my book bag at my job. I also had a interchangeable case on it. When I called Nook they were very helpful to me they blacklisted my device. This means anyone that purchases it can't use it because it has been reported stolen. Beware of people trying to sell stolen Nooks on Craigslist and EBay. This is where thrives go to try a dump stolen merchandise.
New User
frankie81
0 Kudos

how can i find my nookcolor