Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
MegSLP
0 Kudos

My NOOK was stolen!

While my husband and I were up in NY this weekend, someone in Housekeeping stole my NOOK.  Luckily, I've already replaced it with one of the refurbs that was being offered on eBay. 

Here is my question though...  How do I delete the stolen NOOK off of my account so the thief can't read on my dime? 

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Re: My NOOK was stolen!

Meg,

Call 1-800-THE BOOK, select Option #2 for digital support ASAP!  They will be able to remove the stolen device from your account, etc.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
SlaughterS

I'm pretty sure that you can do that by logging into B&N with your nook user account.

Scroll down toward the bottom of the page and there should be a "Digital Management" section that has a link called "My nook"

Click on that and you should be taken to a page that will allow you to "deregister" the stolen nook.

This will prevent them from purchasing any new books - or even downloading previously purchased books which are not already on the device.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart

Also, make sure you change the password for your account.  That alone will block access for the stolen nook.

Globaltech
0 Kudos

SlaughterS wrote:

I'm pretty sure that you can do that by logging into B&N with your nook user account.

Scroll down toward the bottom of the page and there should be a "Digital Management" section that has a link called "My nook"

Click on that and you should be taken to a page that will allow you to "deregister" the stolen nook.

This will prevent them from purchasing any new books - or even downloading previously purchased books which are not already on the device.

I tried this myself with my broken nook... didn't work.  I suppose i'll have to call.

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
MegSLP
0 Kudos

Y'all are awesome!  Thanks so much for the help!!!

Contributor
Tinkturtle
0 Kudos

Just curious, can B&N track stolen nooks if they are re-registered? I'm think cell phone companies know when a phone has a bad ESN, can B&N track serial number of stolen nooks?

So many books. So little time.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Tinkturtle wrote:

Just curious, can B&N track stolen nooks if they are re-registered? I'm think cell phone companies know when a phone has a bad ESN, can B&N track serial number of stolen nooks?

Not sure what you mean by tracking it.  I don't think they will be able to register it and download books from B&N, but that wouldn't prevent anyone from using for sideloading books.

Contributor
RileysMama23
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by tracking it.  I don't think they will be able to register it and download books from B&N, but that wouldn't prevent anyone from using for sideloading books.

I think that Tinkturtle means tracking it via GPS, so that they can locate it.  I do not believe that B&N offers this feature as of yet.  I think it is something that would need to be added into the software or created as an application on the device.  That's how Apple does it with the iPad.

Either way, I am sorry to hear that your nook was stolen but it's nice that you can deactivate it remotely.  That way, at least they have to buy their own books!

SlaughterS
0 Kudos

You would also need to add a GPS device to the nook :smileyhappy:

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

SlaughterS wrote:

You would also need to add a GPS device to the nook :smileyhappy:

Not if they've got the 3G turned on.

3G can be "triangulated" to fairly precise locations, that's how they do it for 911 calls on devices that don't have a built in GPS or if you're inside a building where the GPS won't work anyway. 

---------
Don
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

Yes - but as a web developer I can tell you - that triangulation algorithm usually blows chunks.

It's off by blocks or miles unless you happen to be located in an area that is super dense in wireless relay towers.

Contributor
goobysmootcher
0 Kudos

Wow that sucks.   :smileysad:  I don't know why people feel a need to stoop to such low levels.

Frequent Contributor
JMyers60

I sure hope you let the hotel know that someone in housekeeping stole your nook. They should be able to find out who cleaned the room and take action against the worker.
Inspired Correspondent
Mupples
0 Kudos

I was going to say the same thing- lodge a complaint against housekeeping. Make sure they know the worth of what's missing. You never know if this same employee might have previous complaints against them. Good luck and I hope you get something out of it.

MegSLP
0 Kudos

Oh trust me, we've lodged a complaint.  This is a hotel that we stay at frequently too because it is really the only one in the area (we went back to West Point where my husband went to college and it is in a tiny town).  It is making us think that we will just stay in NYC and drive the 45 minutes to the post the next time we go up.

What's awful is I had my NOOK on the bedside table the entire time I was in India and it never was stolen.  Heck, you could leave open cash on your dresser and they would just straighten it up for you but never take any of it.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Tinkturtle wrote:

Meaning if someone tries to register the stolen Nook to their own BN account, will BN know from the serial number that it was a Nook that had been reported stolen?

Correspondent
Trazy
0 Kudos

lkmiller wrote:

Meaning if someone tries to register the stolen Nook to their own BN account, will BN know from the serial number that it was a Nook that had been reported stolen?

The technology is there for them to do this, but it's highly unlikely they ever would because of the can of worms this would open up for potential litigation.

"You can see a lot by just looking" - Yogi Berra
Inspired Correspondent
RodneyJT
0 Kudos

But seeing how every nook is traceable to some degree by the sim card alone (at least the 3g), I would say if B & N wanted when a registered owner of a nook reported to them that a nook was stolen and unregistered then it could be flagged that if that nook was to try and be registered again it would fail as a stolen device until the original owner called to verify possesion of the nook.

Correspondent
Trazy
0 Kudos

Why would B&N want to get into the field of detective services, and potentially open themselves up to pseudo-wiretapping litigation?

"You can see a lot by just looking" - Yogi Berra