Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
nooksucks
0 Kudos

My Nook is useless

From day 1 I have had nothing but problems with the Nook.  It freezes, it keeps re-populating Jane Austen novels, and this past week it dropped dead on me mid-vacation after I loaded it up with books.  It froze with the Nook page on and even with the battery removed it still will not re-set. Fortunately it was a gift and I did not pay for it or I'd be even more pissed, but it makes me very grateful that I opted to buy my mother a Kindle for mother's day instead. 

Frequent Contributor
acesc
0 Kudos

Re: My Nook is useless

umm.... how long have you had it?

If it's still within the warranty period why don't you just call the tech support and try to get help?

I've had mine for about a month and have had very minor problem with it. Other than the weird error it gave me everytime I hook it up to my computer, it's pretty much problem free.

Maybe you got a lemon? You should try to call B&N for help.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS

acesc wrote:

,,,, it's pretty much problem free.

Maybe you got a lemon? You should try to call B&N for help.

But, how would actually fixing the problem be as emotionally satisfying as joining the forum to make this one post ?

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

Folks,

I suspect that we're dealing with a hit-and-run troll attack here.  I doubt that the citizen even owns a Nook, and that we'll ever see him/her again.

One thing is for sure:  s/he has never read these boards.  I can't think of another explanation for the lack of any reference to reaching out to Customer Service.

If I'm wrong, we'll hear a response, and I for one will certainly jump in to help.  But until then, my advice is ...

Don't feed the troll!!! :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
acesc
0 Kudos

sigh...:smileysad:

I know I know... I just thought maybe juuuust maybe this was a really frustrated person who needs help.

I'm such a sap... :smileytongue:

Frequent Contributor
_deb_
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

Folks,

I suspect that we're dealing with a hit-and-run troll attack here.  I doubt that the citizen even owns a Nook, and that we'll ever see him/her again.

One thing is for sure:  s/he has never read these boards.  I can't think of another explanation for the lack of any reference to reaching out to Customer Service.

If I'm wrong, we'll hear a response, and I for one will certainly jump in to help.  But until then, my advice is ...

Don't feed the troll!!! :smileyvery-happy:

Well after some thought this weekend, my faith in the moral fiber of my dots has been restored.  I have decided that while we have been maligning their character, those courageous little "bravedots" have gone off to battle the evil and persistent trolls continually stirring up discontent in our nook community.  Of course after victories, I am sure there is indulgence in the seedier side of dot-life, but who am I to begrudge them their rewards :smileywink:

Hope to see you later at...

ABthree
0 Kudos

acesc wrote:

sigh...:smileysad:

I know I know... I just thought maybe juuuust maybe this was a really frustrated person who needs help.

I'm such a sap... :smileytongue:

@acesc

If being kind and wanting to help is being a sap, we should all be saps like that.  Don't go changing, now! :smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
ABthree
0 Kudos

_deb_ wrote:

Well after some thought this weekend, my faith in the moral fiber of my dots has been restored.  I have decided that while we have been maligning their character, those courageous little "bravedots" have gone off to battle the evil and persistent trolls continually stirring up discontent in our nook community.  Of course after victories, I am sure there is indulgence in the seedier side of dot-life, but who am I to begrudge them their rewards :smileywink:

I believe it was Hemingway who said "... but it's a pretty thought."  :smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51

First clue: Choice of forum name.

It puzzles me as to what trolls hope to gain. Any sales of a product benefit the company selling that product and trolls receive no monetary reward from that company. So there's no financial reward for being a troll and trying to influence others' choices.

No, trolls are very simple creatures to understand. First, most of them grew up without adult supervision. Second, many of them inhabit that part of the life spectrum that lives by the slogan, "I hate (insert product name here) and I won't stop until you do too." Third, some of them are dissatisfied with their own choices that they hope to influence others into making the same bad choices?

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Correspondent
Kirk_S
0 Kudos

I don't know if this is a troll. I had almost that exact problem. I live about 100 miles away from the nearest B&N, and bought a Nook while visiting my mom in a city still farther away. On the way home, my new Nook crashed several times almost in the same way the poster described: it would freeze on random pages and had to be reset before it would start working again. I tried everything to get it to stop.

I was driving past the 100-mile-away store on the way home from my mom's house and exchanged my Nook. The new one has been rock solid from that day.

The trollish part seems to be posting in the forum without mentioning having taken any steps to fix the problem. The described issues seem totally possible to me, though, since I also had them.

Frequent Contributor
GadgetgirlKS
0 Kudos

My nook froze the second day I owned it. I immediately took it to the nearest store and they conducted a hard reset with tech on the phone walking them through it. Until recently the only problem I have had is that when it is asleep and I want to wake it up, 90% of the time that I push the button it restarts. The past couple weeks I have been having it freeze on me after reading 3 pages requiring holding down the button to restart it (at which point it sometimes froze on the start up screen).

I was about ready to throw it out the window, but then I decided to see what other people were saying online about these problems. I found an old post that talked about the battery not being snug enough and adding some paper above the battery to make the contact more snug solved their problems. I put a folded up piece of paper above the battery and both problems have not occured since! I spent all day yesterday waking it up, reading a 5-10 pages, putting it to sleep, and not once did it freeze or restart.

I will keep you posted if I have more issues, but if this is all it takes to fix the freezing problems we need for people to know this and to inform Barnes and Noble so they can fix this issue!!!

Good luck!

Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

That is true.  Maybe they are just so upset they couldn't even go back to the store.

I know if mine froze up or something I would have started crying (being the very emotional girl I am) and would have taken it in, and said, I'm sorry I charged it and it still isn't working right.

They would have helped me as they did before when I didn't know what to do when I had to update it.

Correspondent
Kirk_S
0 Kudos

Well, I admit that I wouldn't be very sympathetic to someone who was too upset to allow B&N to fix or replace their Nook before complaining on message boards. After all, things happen however careful a factory may be.

I bought a brand new car and had the power steering go out two days later. I was annoyed, but instead of griping on a web forum, I called the dealership and they fixed it. If the poster had a problem and B&N refused or failed to fix it, then sure! Tell the world! Warn people! But I don't think that's what happened here.

Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

Your right.

I would have been upset too, but when I couldn't figure out how to upgrade I thought maybe there was something wrong with my nook and took it to a Barnes & Noble and they showed me what to do.

So your right.  and if there was a problem they should have taken it there first.

Frequent Contributor
Lynns_Nook

Just send it to one of us. We'll find the poor little Nook a happy home. 

Inspired Contributor
writeway

Oddly, I had the same problem with my Nook and actually posted about it on the forum, but chose a much different subject line, and also posted about how quick customer service was to respond to the issue and replace my Nook.  My new Nook is behaving nicely and I haven't had a single problem since then.  Sometimes when you buy an electronic item made up of teeny tiny parts, things can go wrong and you need to have them fixed or replaced. 

I'd bet that the original poster spent lots of time in years gone by ringing doorbells and running.  Thank goodness they have matured.

New User
stlnook
0 Kudos

I have to agree with the troll that the Nook is a piece of JUNK!!!  I received a Nook for my birthday in May and since then I have had to have 4.  Yes, you read correctly 4.  I used the first one exactly 1 month and the plastic cracked on the advance button.  I called support, they said to take it back to the store that my husband purchased it.  Guess what???One month later the same thing happened.  Again, I call tech support.  This time I have to wait for them to send me a new one and then send mine in.  So, my third nook I get and I am thinking 3rd time is the charm right?  WRONG. This one was more messed up then the first two.  It wouldn't go into the sleep mode, it would freeze after 3-4 pages, it wouldn't hold the settings. So I call tech support and they are like oh, it was a refurbished Nook.  (keep in mind that they still had not received by mail the 2nd one that I sent back).  So today I get an email that the one I just sent back is not under warranty and to call.  So I call and they are like, the screen is cracked and we are not accepting it.  I was like what the heck......the screen was not cracked I sent it back because of the plastic.  Now I have a 4th Nook that is charging and I am afraid that it is going to be the same POS.  I HATE NOOK!!!

Inspired Contributor
fairydust285

Yea, the nook is such a piece of junk. I mean, I read on it CONSTANTLY, I have never had issues with freezing or wi-fi. The battery lasts 5 days. I think I am just going to give up and go get a kindle since the new one just came out, and its going to be so much better......GOSH these posts are getting old. How many SATISFIED nook owners are out there that probably don't even know that these boards exist?

Correspondent
Kirk_S

Exactly what are you doing to crack your Nook? Turning pages with a hammer?

New User
stlnook
0 Kudos

No I don't turn the page with a hammer!! I use it daily.  SO now its my fault that the company has come out with 3 new versions because of there bad design?  Get a life.  I only know about this blog because the customer service guy told me about it.  He suggested I post and see if others were having the same problems that I am having.  I would love for them to reinburse me so that I don't have to be this mad about a birthday present!