Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Jodisims

Re: My Nook is useless

The mettle of a company is not whether or not they have a handful of lemons - that can happen to most anyone - but how they resolve the issues they've had.  90% of what I've read on these forums is in B&N's favor in regard to fixing whatever issues have arisen.

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education ~ Mark Twain

click here for information about sideloading library books
click here to view Nook user guide
Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

Have you tried turning pages using the swipe method? Sure does take a load off of those buttons, and will hopefully keep my nook from experiencing what some other folks are dealing with.

I hope you get your situation resolved, but I do strongly suggest using the swipe to turn pages whenever possible.

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873)
~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I've had my Nook since February.  I read everyday on it, sometimes, on the weekend for 8 or more hours.  I use the page turn buttons a lot, sometimes I swipe, but other times, depending on how I am holding the Nook I use the buttons.  They're fine, not cracked.  The one on the right is louder and more clicky that one on the left, but it hasn't cracked.

It also doesn't freeze or lose books, etc.  So, I'm extremely happy with my Nook.  One of the satisfied customers, just thought I'd let you all know we are out here, just don't post much since we don't have a problem.

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Same here bklvr896.  I've had mine since the end of May, use it everyday for a couple of hours and much more on the weekends. No problems with the nook itself so far, just the usual questions about sideloading and borrowing from the library which were answered here on this board.

There are many satisfied customers, they just don't all post about it.  It's easy to find negative comments about any product online, the thing you have to look at is how the company handles those complaints/problems.

New User
stlnook
0 Kudos

Never knew about a swipe method.  Could you send more information?

Correspondent
love_my_karma

stlnook wrote:

Never knew about a swipe method.  Could you send more information?

Essentially, you wait for the touch screen to go black, and then you use a finger, knuckle, or elbow to make a motion across the screen, as if you were wiping off a bit of dust. It works best for me if my finger is already in motion from the edge of the screen, and just lightly sweep across at a bit of an angle from right to left.

Of course to turn back a page, you swipe from left to right. Be sure it's a sweeping motion, and not just a bump, as you may activate the screen otherwise. This works for books in your library and documents, but you'll need to use the arrow buttons for shopping, or for other pages that have the little dots at the bottom.

~ Louisa May Alcott ~
New User
stlnook
0 Kudos

THANK YOU!  Very helpful!

Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

You're welcome, and I hope you find it as easy as I do. It should really help spare those arrow buttons a lot of stress, and save you some, too.:smileywink:

~ Louisa May Alcott ~
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Except for a little freezing in the very early go, I've had no problems with the nook I've had since December!  I read some every day, so it's had some hard use.  Yes, I swipe when I can, but I don't know if it makes a difference or not.

Yes, I know there are a few who really and truly have had frustrations.  Some are trollish, and some are not.

There's some good swipe techiques in my signature.

Distinguished Correspondent
gabourele
0 Kudos

Using the swipe on the lcd screen make sure you go into settings and change your touchscreen settings to go off in 10 seconds otherwise your going to be sitting there waiting for it to go off. I showed a customer this in the store today and they were completely shocked when they saw it and bought a 3G model just because of that.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Frequent Contributor
GadgetgirlKS
0 Kudos

I think it is interesting that I posted on what solved my very frustrating problem of my nook freezing and rebooting and people who have these same problems keep complaining, but don't try the solution. I have read some 400 pages the past couple days and not one instance of freezing or rebooting.

Please try putting a folded up piece of paper next to the battery to make the connection more snug!

While it bites that I have to do this, it also has made my nook a wonderful item that I carry with me everywhere in hopes of getting to read just a couple more pages. When the next version comes out it will hopefully not have these issues, but I chose to buy the first generation, so I will deal with this fixable glitch.

Inspired Contributor
writeway
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I was unhappy when my nook froze, but the customer service was excellent and the issue resolved quickly.  still love my nook!

Correspondent
Heritage07

There is always one in every crowd. Open wide and say ahh!

Contributor
SueEllen1214
0 Kudos

I was at B&N last weekend to buy a Nook. I checked out the one on display and noticed a crack on the page turn arrow. Decided not to get one. I really would love to buy one, but I think I will give it more consideration.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

Older nooks were made of a different plastic which could lead to button cracks,  They are using a different polymer now that they hope will not have that problem.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Frequent Contributor
Radecliffe
0 Kudos

Both the left and right page advance buttons on my Nook are cracked and you know what?  I could care less.  It has absolutely no affect on my Nook's performance.

Don't Panic
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Radecliffe wrote:

Both the left and right page advance buttons on my Nook are cracked and you know what?  I could care less.  It has absolutely no affect on my Nook's performance.

Good attitude!  :smileyhappy:

Still, you ought to let B&N exchange it:  you're entitled, and the cracks could get bigger and eventually affect performance and more importantly, your satisfaction.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Bibliophile
Jenniisme

First nook received in January, cracked by February. BN sent me a new one.

Second nook received in February, cracked by April, BN store exchanged it for a new one.

Third nook cracked in April, exchanged it in May. BN exchanged it for a new one.

Last nook cracked and exchanged in June, new material with no more issues!

No freezing, cracking, etc....

Anyone who is waiting because of the cracked bezels, I would honestly say just go ahead and buy the Nook. BN is excellent about replacing and/or fixing the issue.

Also note, I was never once given a refurbished, each one has been brand spanking new.

Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

I got mine in January and have had very few problems with it.  An early battery calilbration issue and then nothing until a couple of weeks ago when I hadn't been able to read for a few days and didn't realize how low the battery was.  Called customer service and got it resolved no problem.  About a week later, when I knew it still had charge, it was frozen beyond anything I'd seen before.  Called customer service again, and got instructions that should resolve the issue as well as what to do if that didn't work.  It worked and all is well.  I tend to swipe WAY more than I click - I don't see how the button location is at all convenient...or maybe I hold regular DTBs funny.  The touch screen is MUCH closer to where I hold a DTB.  But at any rate, no cracks.

Also, mine's taken a couple of tumbles - largely when I've been a klutz and the bag it's in swings around, and thank goodness no problems!  :smileyhappy:  I've got the extended warranty plan, but so far so good!  

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

I am honestly glad I haven't had any issues as of yet.  I still don't understand everything about my nook, but I know if I don't get it, go to the store, or call them. I'm sure they are happy to help me.  I had one guy at the South Bend store write his name down on a business card so that if I had problems I could call and ask for him even.