Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Waylay
0 Kudos

Re: My Nook is useless

I got my nook in early April. I work customer service for a major tech company explaining which of our products to use and what to match them up with; So a good part of each day I am waiting for the next call. So I am constantly waking my nook up and changing pages. After about 3 months my advance button on the rightside cracked, so I took it back to the store i got at and they exchanged it without a problem. Since then i have moved on to using swipe to change pages and also had the full body invisibleshield put on it. Guess what? No problems at all.

I love my nook it is one of the best investment i have ever made.  

Contributor
lizandnook
0 Kudos

I just got the invisibleshield and wanted to know if it affects the amount of pressure to use when you swipe?  I have had my Nook since Christmas read almost every day.  My buttons cracked, called customer service, the replacement was a lemon and when I got a new one for that one had the new buttons and haven't had a problem since then.  I usually swipe because I don't want to have to return my Nook again.  I am a klutz and got the extended warranty just in case.  But I love my NOOK!

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

I totally agree, my Nook is also useless:

For pounding nails, frying eggs, and a host of other things

But for reading books, it's GREAT!

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Kirk_S wrote:

I don't know if this is a troll. I had almost that exact problem. I live about 100 miles away from the nearest B&N, and bought a Nook while visiting my mom in a city still farther away. On the way home, my new Nook crashed several times almost in the same way the poster described: it would freeze on random pages and had to be reset before it would start working again. I tried everything to get it to stop.

I was driving past the 100-mile-away store on the way home from my mom's house and exchanged my Nook. The new one has been rock solid from that day.

The trollish part seems to be posting in the forum without mentioning having taken any steps to fix the problem. The described issues seem totally possible to me, though, since I also had them.

I guess my big question is...why would you drive 100 miles (200 round trip I presume) when you could pick up the phone and call Customer Support?

They can send you a new nook, and it costs you nothing.

---------
Don
Correspondent
Kirk_S
0 Kudos

donc13 wrote:

Kirk_S wrote:

I don't know if this is a troll. I had almost that exact problem. I live about 100 miles away from the nearest B&N, and bought a Nook while visiting my mom in a city still farther away. On the way home, my new Nook crashed several times almost in the same way the poster described: it would freeze on random pages and had to be reset before it would start working again. I tried everything to get it to stop.

I was driving past the 100-mile-away store on the way home from my mom's house and exchanged my Nook. The new one has been rock solid from that day.

The trollish part seems to be posting in the forum without mentioning having taken any steps to fix the problem. The described issues seem totally possible to me, though, since I also had them.

I guess my big question is...why would you drive 100 miles (200 round trip I presume) when you could pick up the phone and call Customer Support?

They can send you a new nook, and it costs you nothing.

I wouldn't. The B&N store was on the way home from my mom's house. Since I had to drive past it anyway, I dropped in to have them look at my Nook. I'd much rather return it in person (taking a grand total of 10 minutes, including the detour) than mail it in (taking a grand total of several days of waiting for the replacement to arrive, assuming B&N cross-ships and I wouldn't have to send my defective one in first before getting the replacement).

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

Alanakat wrote:
I had one guy at the South Bend store write his name down on a business card so that if I had problems I could call and ask for him even.

I do this with EVERY Nook sold in my store while I am on duty, whether I sell it or not.  We are there to help you, and I enjoy having a first-name relationship with so many of our customers.

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
B&N Bookseller
Candy33
0 Kudos

I work in a BN store and we have 5 nooks that we all use and abuse. Only time we had the issue with the advance button cracking is when we dropped it on the floor. So maybe you damaged it accidentally without noticing. But just like with every new electronic, there are issues and we are fixing things as they come up. If you hate your nook so much take it back to the store where you bought it and trade it for credit or refund. Or you can sell it on ebay, just make sure to unregister it first.

Candy
Wordsmith
NookGuy
0 Kudos

Kirk_S wrote:

I don't know if this is a troll.

Let's see ... 'nooksucks' as a forum name, and only 1 post.

I'd say a bridge somewhere is missing its troll ... :smileywink:

New User
teachhtml
0 Kudos

Possibly a troll, but they're right on the money.  I'm a gadget guy, so I started with the Kindle, got a Kindle2, and finally the nook.  No problems with the first two.  I've had to have the nook replaced twice because of problems.  I agree that all new products have issues, but from what I've read on these boards, the percentage of nook issues is substantial.

From my own experience:

freezing

lost books

cracked hardware

battery problems

slow page turns

Customer service has largely taken care of these problems, but come now...  These are common issues that should have been identified and dealt with during alpha and beta testing.  Why should we have to deal with them?

Functionally, the nook has some nice features I'd like to see on the Kindle2 and vice versa.  From an objective (hopefully) perspective, I prefer the Kindle2 and continue to use this while the nook collects dust.  I travel quite a bit and just can't risk being on a 22 hour flight with a malfunctioning nook.  Maybe the nook2 will be a better product.

Call me a troll if you will.  All I can do is relate my experiences.

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

teachhtml wrote:

It's not trolling if you make a valid point and don't try to start wars.

I think that you overestimate the number of affected nooks (here again, though, I may underestimate), I for one have had nothing but a great experience, with the exception of the silicone "frame" cover I bought.  That POS just attracts every last bit of dirt possible.  Worthless.  Wasted $15 on that thing...

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

teachhtml wrote:

Possibly a troll, but they're right on the money.  I'm a gadget guy, so I started with the Kindle, got a Kindle2, and finally the nook.  No problems with the first two.  I've had to have the nook replaced twice because of problems.  I agree that all new products have issues, but from what I've read on these boards, the percentage of nook issues is substantial.

From my own experience:

freezing

lost books

cracked hardware

battery problems

slow page turns

Customer service has largely taken care of these problems, but come now...  These are common issues that should have been identified and dealt with during alpha and beta testing.  Why should we have to deal with them?

Functionally, the nook has some nice features I'd like to see on the Kindle2 and vice versa.  From an objective (hopefully) perspective, I prefer the Kindle2 and continue to use this while the nook collects dust.  I travel quite a bit and just can't risk being on a 22 hour flight with a malfunctioning nook.  Maybe the nook2 will be a better product.

I'm not sure I'd say the percentage of is substantial if you take into account that generally, the people that post to forums are the ones with problems or who are unhappy.  I know at least 3 people who own Nooks who have never visited the forums and two others who are considering buying Nooks and I know they will never visit the forums either.  So my personal experience shows that 1 out of 6 owners actually visit the forums.  (Obviously  completely unscientific and not representative of anything :smileyhappy:)

I've had mine since February, I use it every day, sometimes for hours on end.  I carry it with me almost everywhere.  My hardware isn't cracked, and I do use the buttons and the swipe.

I don't see slow page turns or at least they don't seem slow to me and I've never lost any books.  I haven't had any battery problems, although I do wish the battery life was longer.

I've had it "freeze" twice, and both times I believe it was because I had gotten impatient and given it too many commands in too short a time.  

I let it go to sleep on its own when I'm not using it, however I do reboot it periodically since I believe like my computer, I need to clear out the "crap" occasionally.  

The only other thing I do is before putting it in airplane mode, I turn off the WiFi, rather than leaving it enabled but in airplane mode.  The reason I do this is I've found that if I'm in an area where I don't have a remembered WiFi connection, and I turn off airplane mode, the WiFi starts searching and if there are a lot of WiFi spots in the area, this can take some time as it tries to talk to each one.  So, if I need the WiFi, I turn off airplane mode, then enable WiFi.

Contributor
toska
0 Kudos

Here is a satisfied Nook owner for you:smileyvery-happy:  I read it constantly and have never had problems like the ones I have read about others having (thank goodness).  I am a very happy Nook owner and have recommended a Nook to many people.  I am planning to purchase another one for my mother, who is also an avid reader.

Just wanted to let you know that there are happy Nookies out there.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

toska wrote:

Here is a satisfied Nook owner for you:smileyvery-happy:  I read it constantly and have never had problems like the ones I have read about others having (thank goodness).  I am a very happy Nook owner and have recommended a Nook to many people.  I am planning to purchase another one for my mother, who is also an avid reader.

Just wanted to let you know that there are happy Nookies out there.

Absolutely!  I've never had a freeze or a cracked button or a battery issue.  I plan on getting one for my teenage daughter for Christmas this year so she can take it off to college.

Linda

Frequent Contributor
steve2645
0 Kudos

SueEllen1214 wrote:

I was at B&N last weekend to buy a Nook. I checked out the one on display and noticed a crack on the page turn arrow. Decided not to get one. I really would love to buy one, but I think I will give it more consideration.

once the touch screen goes dark (the length of time before this happens can be adjusted), you can swipe the touch screen to turn the page

Correspondent
iluv2readmynook
0 Kudos

I have had my Nook since early April, and like many others it gets used every day.  My only regret is "why didn't I buy one sooner!!!!".  My only problem has been the expected ones, learning to use and use well a multi faceted gadget.  I haven't had any of the problems discussed here, but my Nook (as well as all of my electronic necessities) are treated and cared for as they were created.  I have a cover, the screen protectors, the lyre light, and as long as I remember to do the weekly charges - my Nook hasn't let me down.  

Inspired Correspondent
Andromeda208
0 Kudos

I own both KIndle and Nook.  I was scan the kindle discussion boards and there is someone posting Kindlesucks.  I wonder if our nooksucks is the same person and is just frequenting e-reader boards because he has nothing better to do.  Maybe he should e-read a book if he is bored. :smileyvery-happy:

Correspondent
Alanakat

Yesterday I went again to my local barnes & noble...and was helping a friend look at a book, someone who I had helped before came up to me and gave me a hug, told the lady that was working the nook both that they should hire me and than she told me she loved her nook.

I don't go out trying to do that, I really don't I just want people to be happy. I didn't think that lady knew me well enough to give me a hug, but that meant the world to me.  I was like, I'm so happy that she's happy

so ya...I guess I"m a nook lover too...I came on here because there were things I couldn't figure out.  I still haven't gotten it figured out how to do the swipe thing, but I have one of the non glare cover things to stop from scratching, and I just can't figure it out, but that doesn't mean that I'm a troll here and was like. Yes my Nook is useless because I can't figure out how to do the swipe method.

that's just not me.

New User
NONookBD
0 Kudos

I so agree with you. The thing is totally useless.
New User
NONookBD
0 Kudos

How about a back arrow so when it take you into neverland you can get back to what you were trying to do.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

NONookBD, I'm not sure who you're responding to, but this thread is 3 years old and for the N1E. Which device do you have? If you have a problem, tell us, and you post in the correct forum, we users might actually be able to help you.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716