Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
boe0485
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E]: 1.6 Update

Thanks for the update and thanks for letting us know that there are no further updates planned.  It's good to have a definite answer.

I just updated my Nook 3G and after the update the "My Documents" library was empty.  I have all of my sideloaded books on my SD card.  I selected "Check for new content" in My Documents library and ALL of the books on my SD card showed up.  Everything was there even the bookmarks.

Reader 4
rhrysss
0 Kudos

1. What size is your microSD card?

8 GB

2. What is the brand of the card?

Wintec Filemate micro SD HC
3. What size does Settings report your microSD card as being?

242.11 MB

4. How many MB of books do you have on the card?

192 MB

5. How many individual books do you have on the card?

6. What other types of files do you have on the card?

none

7. Does performing a "Check for new content" while in Library/My Documents help anything?

No.

Frequent Contributor
LoseTheRadiosMa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

1. What size is your microSD card?  4GB

2. What is the brand of the card? Micro Center
3. What size does Settings report your microSD card as being? 81.69MB / 242.11MB (33%) 

4. How many MB of books do you have on the card? 292MB

5. How many individual books do you have on the card? 579

6. What other types of files do you have on the card?  only epub

7. Does performing a "Check for new content" while in Library/My Documents help anything? not at all 

Wordsmith
tmr4

I lost visibility of my SD card after a previous update (I think it was 1.4 or 1.5).  Taking the SD card out, reinstalling it and restarting the nook solved the problem for me.  I think I had to do this twice and it took a really long time to load the library afterwards, but it finally worked.  Don't know if is a similar problem being experienced here.

Contributor
cricket808
0 Kudos

I am experiencing the same problems, I cannot see any files on my sdcard.  This is a brand new Nook 3G WiFi purchased just 6 days ago and was working fine until this update.

16gb

Sandisk

242.11 mb

22.6 mb

67 books, mostly .pdb files and .pdf files

2.31gb of music files, 770 mb audiobook

7. Does performing a "Check for new content" while in Library/My Documents help anything?

no

The audio player doesn't see any music files and therefore asks me to load files via USB.  I have removed and re-installed the card and rebooted the Nook twice.  Still nothing.

Please fix this.

New User
Halifano
0 Kudos

Same issues with the 1.6 release.  Nook does not see any of the content (books or music) on the SD card and incorrectly reports the size of the card

8 Gb

Patriot

242.11 Mb

85.28 Mb (per Nook), 0.98 Gb (per Windows)

50 books (epub and pdf)

80 mp3

No change

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

I turned off airplane mode last night and downloaded several recent book purchases. Update 1.6 did not load. When I updated to 1.5 I had to sideload so it may be that this won't automatically update either. I am debating whether to even bother trying to sideload this update. I don't use the SD card so there wouldn't be any issues there but do I need this update?

Reader 2
StephieLB
0 Kudos

On one hand, I'm still a little bummed that original nook owners will not have the social networking feature offered on the other two devices; on the other hand, I appreciate knowing this is the last update & will not be waiting in vain for another one.

I don't have my side loaded content on an SD card so the update installed with no issues.

Thanks for the behind-the-scenes improvements!

Frequent Contributor
buckysrevenge
0 Kudos

Haven't used a microSD card in my nook for a while, but I can tell you that all of my books in My Documents were in their folder but the Nook initially did not see them after the update (sideloaded the update, not downloaded). After opening my current book (a B&N downloaded one, not sideloaded) and then going back to My Documents, it saw about 43 of 72 of my sideloaded books. I had the Nook search again and then it finally saw all of my sideloaded books. Bizarre to say the least.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr

Problem acknowledged:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/N1E-1-6-Update-and-microSD-cards/m-p/...

Why are we not given the option  to install an update when it is available.  When the package is faulty, users are not given the chance to back up data and have to waste time restoring their device.  

Why wasn't this found before  it was forced on your customers?  Are saying that no one tested  to see if it worked on cards larger than 4GB? 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

cbtengr wrote:

Problem acknowledged:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/N1E-1-6-Update-and-microSD-cards/m-p/...

Why are we not given the option  to install an update when it is available.  When the package is faulty, users are not given the chance to back up data and have to waste time restoring their device.  

Why wasn't this found before  it was forced on your customers?  Are saying that no one tested  to see if it worked on cards larger than 4GB? 

I'm frustrated with each of their releases as they never give users an option to update.  This is the single biggest thing they could do to increase user satisfaction with the update process.

As for their testing, I'm sure they tested this product as thoroughly as they thought they needed to.  That's often the problem with testing - the person or team deciding what needs to be tested doesn't see all the possibilities.  So, yeah, it's completely possible that they failed to test this update with a card larger than 4GB.  We don't know what was in the update, so we can't say whether the change was meant to affect the SD cards or not, which makes it hard to say if they were downright stupid or if this was a fair miss.

Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

kathylcsw wrote:

I turned off airplane mode last night and downloaded several recent book purchases. Update 1.6 did not load. When I updated to 1.5 I had to sideload so it may be that this won't automatically update either. I am debating whether to even bother trying to sideload this update. I don't use the SD card so there wouldn't be any issues there but do I need this update?

I have the same question. I was on wi-fi all night (and I mean ALL NIGHT from 8pm to 5 am) working on my library; I purchased four books and uploaded them and I still have 1.5 with no auto update and no update notification. I'm not terribly concerned and I don't have an SD card - so I'm wondering if I really need the update?

Lisa

Distinguished Correspondent
DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

I had tried to update and I kept getting an error.  24 hours after this, the update notification disappeared and I am still on 1.5. 

Strange.......

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Out of curiosity, has anyone with an SD card larger than 2GB gotten the download and NOT had a problem? 

Sam, any progress on a fix?

LisaB

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

If the update is flawed, why is it still vailable for manual download from B&N?  

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

cbtengr wrote:

Because the vast majority of people don't have issues with the update so there's no reason for them not to install it.

Distinguished Correspondent
BelgianAlien
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update... and thanks for letting us know not to anticipate any further updates on the N1E... it was only a matter of time before that happened. It's all good, I can buy books, I can download them, I can read them, I can archive them... therefore I'm good to go.

-----------
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. ~P.J. O'Rourke
Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

cbtengr wrote:

Because the vast majority of people don't have issues with the update so there's no reason for them not to install it.

I would love to hear if ANYONE with an SD card over 2GB has had no issues. 

LisaB

keriflur
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

cbtengr wrote:

That's a big assumption to make.  Since we know, as per B&N, that this update borks anyone with a card greater than 2mb, that could be a lot of people.  I don't think we have statistics on the percentage of the nook-owning population that has micro SD cards installed.

shadowcat80

I would like to know seriously what 1.6 is intended to do?  I don't want to hear the endless posts after this about the flaws please, I have been trying to find out what it was supposed to do and finding no answer can someone please tell me?

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.