Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E]: 1.6 Update

mitchWI wrote:

.... why would an update be released that causes this to happen?

Because B&N is Evil. :smileytongue:

Unintended consequences often happen with updates regardless of the product. In a worst case senario and B&N can not resolve the issue we may have to switch to 2GB SD cards. The only reason I have a 4GB card is because it was the cheapest available at the time.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

If B&N can't resolve the issue, everyone with the release will just roll back to 1.5.  You won't need to go out and buy a new micro SD card.

Frequent Contributor
bga_reviews
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:

Unintended consequences often happen with updates regardless of the product. In a worst case senario and B&N can not resolve the issue we may have to switch to 2GB SD cards. The only reason I have a 4GB card is because it was the cheapest available at the time.

That would be totally unacceptable to me since I have over 4 GB of sideloaded content.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

If B&N can't resolve the issue, everyone with the release will just roll back to 1.5.  You won't need to go out and buy a new micro SD card.

You are assuming there is nothing in the 1.6 that is mandatory/necessary going forward such as protocols enabling you nook to make purchases directly.  That may be the "minor" system update they made and they plan on supporting 2 protocols for a while then everyone has to switch.  Not saying that is the case but rolling back to 1.5 is not a long term solution if there is something necessary in 1.6

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

keriflur wrote:

You are assuming there is nothing in the 1.6 that is mandatory/necessary going forward such as protocols enabling you nook to make purchases directly.  That may be the "minor" system update they made and they plan on supporting 2 protocols for a while then everyone has to switch.  Not saying that is the case but rolling back to 1.5 is not a long term solution if there is something necessary in 1.6

That's a good point and why it's so frustrating that they haven't told us what these updates are intended for.  I would like to know what are the minor system updates are but, no one seems to know

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Wordsmith
spec

Niphoet wrote:

In case anyone is interested, I've posted a complete guide to reverting back to 1.5. Please read entire link before attempting. YMMV. http://is.gd/7ZsopS

I understand downgrading to version 1.0 bricks certain nook classics (depending on serial numbers). Are you sure you want to give this advise to all nook classic owners?

Reader 4
Niphoet
0 Kudos

I wasn't aware of that, I know it worked on mine.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

I read some threads last summer that B&N had changed something in the build of the newer (at the time) Nooks. Attempting to revert to 1.0 literally destroyed those devices. I don't remember the serial numbers but (IIRC) if the device was sold with 1.4, it couldn't be reverted to 1.0 without bricking it.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Sam said, in this post, that the engineers have identified the problem and working on a fix for it.  Before I start making dire predictions that I'm not going to be able to use my 8GB card anymore, etc, I'm willing to give them time to come up with a fix for it.  But, I do agree that they should stop pushing the update and it does seem odd that they didn't test it with larger SD cards.

Heaven knows, Microsoft has screwed up things on my computer numerous times with patches and updates.

Oh, and on the subject of the prevalence of SD cards, I have 5 friends with Nooks, I'm the only one with an SD card, so in my little sample, 1/6 of the people.  People who visit forums are generally not representative of the population as a whole for any subject, so while a large number of people here have SD cards, it's really not a representative sample.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

At least they didn't have some skinny guy in a black turtle neck come out and tell us that the problem is because some people are holding it wrong :smileyhappy:

Reader
mitchWI
0 Kudos

I had textbooks for school that were thoroughly highlighted that are no longer being recognized on my sd card. 

Am i going to loose all of the highlights because of this update?

Anything i can do to better prevent loosing all my highlighting work?

As anyone who highlights with the nook knows, its pretty cumbersome and time consuming, i hope it wasnt all for nothing!

Contributor
froggles

bklvr896 wrote:

snip.... 

Oh, and on the subject of the prevalence of SD cards, I have 5 friends with Nooks, I'm the only one with an SD card, so in my little sample, 1/6 of the people.  People who visit forums are generally not representative of the population as a whole for any subject, so while a large number of people here have SD cards, it's really not a representative sample.

You can count me as someone who HAS a card, but it's not installed because I can't get the &**^% cover off the back!  I wonder how many others have the same problem... :smileywink:

(btw, I'm still not turning on the wireless because I like to know what I'm getting before I install.  Sure would be nice if B&N would tell us.....)

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

I just took mine out of airplane mode and it has not even tried to download the update. When I got it at Christmas it had version 1.4 and I had to sideload version 1.5 then. Maybe for some reason mine just won't automatically update? In any case it doesn't matter because I am another one who doesn't have or use an SD card. I haven't really had any need for one. Once all the issues are worked out I will sideload but until then I'm good.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

I had to sideload 1.5 also.  It just wouldn't go through the router. 

This whole thing does show the validity of peopl wanting a 3G nook and wondering why it won't be made available for the N2E  I keep reading folks say "Why would I pay more for a 3g Nook?  I am always close to a WiFi connection and if I am going on a trip I can plan ahead and load books, etc" are feeling?  3 cheers for the 3G nook which still continues to shop and download books over the 3G connection while leaving the WiFi off and avoiding the risk of the 1.6 boogey man.

Reader
tmaff728
0 Kudos

1.6 Update - Help

Sam,

I downloaded and installed 1.6 update, no problems. I then checked Settings and found that my 16GB microSD card was being reported as 91/242 MB available.  This card has worked without problems for over a year.  Uninstalled/reinstalled the card,no change (when uninstalled, Nook showed it as not being present.).  Plugged in my computer and checked properties--all 16 GB available.  I downloaded several GB of data from my computer to the card while plugged in--no problem.  When I unplugged the Nook and rechecked the availablity, it still read 91/242 MB available.  I even unregistered and reset to factory settings--no change.

Any thoughts?

Tony.

Inspired Correspondent
mpclemens
0 Kudos

Re: 1.6 Update - Help

tmaff728 wrote:

Sam,

I downloaded and installed 1.6 update, no problems. I then checked Settings and found that my 16GB microSD card was being reported as 91/242 MB available.  This card has worked without problems for over a year.  Uninstalled/reinstalled the card,no change (when uninstalled, Nook showed it as not being present.).  Plugged in my computer and checked properties--all 16 GB available.  I downloaded several GB of data from my computer to the card while plugged in--no problem.  When I unplugged the Nook and rechecked the availablity, it still read 91/242 MB available.  I even unregistered and reset to factory settings--no change.

Any thoughts?

Tony.

Short version: the B&N tech staff posted, and said cards larger than 2Gb are being read improperly after the 1.6 update. Incidentally, I believe this is the difference between ordinary SD cards and "SDHC" (SD high capacity) cards. B&N has been mum on why this happened, but it's pretty clear that something changed in the underlying code that they did not expect.

Your card is fine, and readable by your PC. You can load any necessary books into the main mempory of your Nook for know, until B&N sorts this out.

OK, maybe not so short. :-)

Inspired Contributor
Tomas_46

Re: 1.6 Update - Help

[ Edited ]

mpclemens wrote:
... B&N has been mum on why this happened, but it's pretty clear that something changed in the underlying code that they did not expect.

I'd re-word that just a touch, Sam. :smileyhappy:

B&N has been mum on why this happened, but it's pretty clear that something they changed in the underlying code had side effects they did not expect.

Unintended consequences or collateral damage. B&N tried to slip in some simple changes in their basic code and whatever they did is causing problems with anyone who has added an average size memory card or larger.

As soon as they realized they had created a problem for their users, they should have stopped pushing the update out to devices until they corrected their error, not just continued to put it out there affecting more and more users.

(I still fail to understand why B&N is so close-mouthed on what the "update" was intended to accomplish. I, and I'm sure many others, expect Release Notes when software is updated so we can understand new behavior and failures.) :smileyindifferent:

Right now my Nook Classic is just sitting unused and only my Soft Touch Nook is seeing action.

Heheheheheh... Maybe that was the purpose of the update! To sell more ST Nooks! :smileyvery-happy:

Tomas - University Place, WA
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

mitchWI wrote:

I had textbooks for school that were thoroughly highlighted that are no longer being recognized on my sd card. 

Am i going to loose all of the highlights because of this update?

Anything i can do to better prevent loosing all my highlighting work?

As anyone who highlights with the nook knows, its pretty cumbersome and time consuming, i hope it wasnt all for nothing!

All the information is still on your SD card the Nook just won't read it. Once they fix the problem everything will be fine.

Reader
mitchWI
0 Kudos

thanks, thats a relief

Contributor
ForestGuardCaptain
0 Kudos

It wiped out all of my documents...all of my documents weren't showing up before but when I updated it it wiped out ALL of them...even the Nook Tour and Nook Guide! And when I tried to reload them it still didn't bring them up!