Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E]: 1.6 Update

ForestGuardCaptain wrote:

It wiped out all of my documents...all of my documents weren't showing up before but when I updated it it wiped out ALL of them...even the Nook Tour and Nook Guide! And when I tried to reload them it still didn't bring them up!

Plug the NOOK into your computer. If you are like the rest of us, it is all there, just not showing up on your NOOK. Look for notes from the Forum moderator to explain. They are working on it. The book I was reading when the update occurred was on my card, so I moved it to the My Documents folder in the NOOK memory and I am reading it fine now. 

I do hope they fix this soon, since part of the appeal of the device is being able to load more content via an SD card. 

LisaB

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

ForestGuardCaptain wrote:

It wiped out all of my documents...all of my documents weren't showing up before but when I updated it it wiped out ALL of them...even the Nook Tour and Nook Guide! And when I tried to reload them it still didn't bring them up!

I *think* someone else mentioned not being able to see their internal stuff after the update but a reboot fixed it.  Have you tried that?

Frequent Contributor
twlight73
0 Kudos

Is the new update screwing up just nooks with an sd card?  I dont have an sd card but i am soooo afraid to take my nook out of airplane mode.  Kind of a pain for when I wanna get new books!!

Lose yourself in a good book :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
KeithK
0 Kudos

It only affects Nooks with memory cards over 2 gig. I have a 2 gig card in mine and have no problems at all.

New User
ReadingRobin4427
0 Kudos

I can't even get my nook to update! I have turned the nook (and the wifi) off several times, and tried manually downloading it with no success! Please Help!

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

@ReadingRobin44

I have tried several times to download the most recent update to no avail.  I have been told that it's better that way because this is somewhat a faulty update. 

Lector GS
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

ReadingRobin4427 wrote:

I can't even get my nook to update! I have turned the nook (and the wifi) off several times, and tried manually downloading it with no success! Please Help!

@ReadingRobin4427,

The 1.6 update has a fairly major bug in it and B&N has stopped pushing the update until they can correct it.

Why would you want an update that provides no tangible benefit to you and is known to have a major flaw?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ReadingRobin4427 wrote:

It seems that B&N has stopped pushing the update because of the SD card issues.  Since this update doesn't actually improve the nook, you're not missing out on anything.  Just hold tight until they fix the issue.  I'm sure that once they do that they'll start pushing it again.
Larry is faster than me! :smileyhappy:
Distinguished Correspondent
F14Scott
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

The 1.6 update has a fairly major bug in it and B&N has stopped pushing the update until they can correct it.

Can you cite your source, please?  Has that been published by anyone from B&N, or is it a statement made based on anecdotal observation.

No malice intended in my direct question; I just would like to turn my radio back on with certainty that I will not "excommunicate" my 4GB card.  Thanks. 

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

F14Scott wrote:

LarryOnLI wrote:

Can you cite your source, please?  Has that been published by anyone from B&N, or is it a statement made based on anecdotal observation.

No malice intended in my direct question; I just would like to turn my radio back on with certainty that I will not "excommunicate" my 4GB card.  Thanks. 

You can either rely on this member's post from another thread or not.    

*shurgs*

MikeAZ wrote:

I did this last night and it reverted to the shipped factory version of 1.4.1. I went ahead and turned to wi-fi on to see if they were still pushing 1.6. evidently they are not. The notification poped up that there was an update and it auto-updated to 1.5. Everything is now kosher with my SD.

Distinguished Correspondent
GetLostInABook

This is the first time I've been unhappy with B&N.  I wish I knew what was included in 1.6 - I don't use an SD card, so the bug won't (shouldn't?) affect me.  Is there a change in there that I want?  It hasn't updated automatically (I had to sideload 1.5 also - my router maybe?)

I just wonder if it is worth sideloading 1.6

If B&N posted the release notes I could make an informed decision.

(I am a software engineer and I have to post change notes even if the only change I make to a file is 'Cleaned up indentation')

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

GetLostInABook wrote:

This is the first time I've been unhappy with B&N.  I wish I knew what was included in 1.6 - I don't use an SD card, so the bug won't (shouldn't?) affect me.  Is there a change in there that I want?  It hasn't updated automatically (I had to sideload 1.5 also - my router maybe?)

I just wonder if it is worth sideloading 1.6

(I am a software engineer and I have to post change notes even if the only change I make to a file is 'Cleaned up indentation')

They havent said specifically but if I had to guess, it would be an update for their cloud service. That would be consistent with what was said about the update being transparent to the end user.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

gstone wrote:

They havent said specifically but if I had to guess, it would be an update for their cloud service. That would be consistent with what was said about the update being transparent to the end user.

I hope it is this.

I thiAnother theory I've heard that I think deserves some consideration is modifications to way the device communicates with bn.com's shop relating to the recent redesign of the online bookstore.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

gstone wrote:

I hope it is this.

I thiAnother theory I've heard that I think deserves some consideration is modifications to way the device communicates with bn.com's shop relating to the recent redesign of the online bookstore.

Same thing. :smileywink:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Not necessarily.

The cloud (as I hope for it) would also include some of the potential library management tools wildly, baselessly speculated for My NOOK.

Strictly shop functionality wouldn't include them.  :smileysad: 

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Not necessarily.

The cloud (as I hope for it) would also include some of the potential library management tools wildly, baselessly speculated for My NOOK.

Strictly shop functionality wouldn't include them.  :smileysad: 

No and I don't anticipate the N1E to have full cloud functionality if any. I do expect them them to have to make changes for the shop function and how the N1E communicates with BN.com. If nothing else they have to change the programed address from barnesandnoble.com to mynook.com.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

I'm sure you're right, but a girl can hope, right?

(I will not be a ranter and raver throwing a temper tantrum because B&N didn't fulfill my baseless and not promised expectations, however.  :smileytongue:)

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

(I will not be a ranter and raver throwing a temper tantrum because B&N didn't fulfill my baseless and not promised expectations, however.  :smileytongue:)

Pretty please? :smileyhappy:

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

GetLostInABook wrote:

Is there a change in there that I want?

B&N has stated, in the first message in this very thread, "The device will continue to function as it has before with no visible change."

A posting by spec indicates that they updated the policies in the User Manual.

There is nothing in there you want.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

I'm inclined to think that since the N1E was working as well as it was with 1.5, then there's nothing in 1.6 that's so critical to its operation that it should be considered necessary.  I have not yet heard that 1.6 improves battery life significantly, or fixes that minor bug where the contrast is less after waking the nook up, for instance.   Someone pls correct me if I am wrong there.

shadowcat80 wrote:

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

keriflur wrote:

If B&N can't resolve the issue, everyone with the release will just roll back to 1.5.  You won't need to go out and buy a new micro SD card.

You are assuming there is nothing in the 1.6 that is mandatory/necessary going forward such as protocols enabling you nook to make purchases directly.  That may be the "minor" system update they made and they plan on supporting 2 protocols for a while then everyone has to switch.  Not saying that is the case but rolling back to 1.5 is not a long term solution if there is something necessary in 1.6

That's a good point and why it's so frustrating that they haven't told us what these updates are intended for.  I would like to know what are the minor system updates are but, no one seems to know