Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E]: 1.6 Update

rafalweb wrote:

I'm inclined to think that since the N1E was working as well as it was with 1.5, then there's nothing in 1.6 that's so critical to its operation that it should be considered necessary.  

I think it's pretty safe to assume that an update to a retired device which is invisible to the end user would only be released if it were necessary.  Sam has explicitly said that consumers should see no changes to our devices or experiences.  [Yes, some of us have.  We've lost the ability to access sideloaded content on SD cards.  They've acknowledged this and claim to be working on fixing that.]

I think gstone and sirwillard are correct.  This update (probably) either prepares the device for the ability to communicate with the redesigned shop (to be released later) or sets it up to do some sort of communication with "My NOOK."

It might not be "necessary" at the moment, but in order to continue communicating to the mothership/purchasing on the device, one will have to update at some point.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

F14Scott wrote:

LarryOnLI wrote:

The 1.6 update has a fairly major bug in it and B&N has stopped pushing the update until they can correct it.

Can you cite your source, please?  Has that been published by anyone from B&N, or is it a statement made based on anecdotal observation.

No malice intended in my direct question; I just would like to turn my radio back on with certainty that I will not "excommunicate" my 4GB card.  Thanks. 

No I can't cite a source for that statement.

What I did do is connect to my home WiFi and "check for new B&N content", a procedure that has always in the past downloaded an update if one was available, and received no update.

Distinguished Correspondent
Tboner
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

F14Scott wrote:

LarryOnLI wrote:

The 1.6 update has a fairly major bug in it and B&N has stopped pushing the update until they can correct it.

Can you cite your source, please?  Has that been published by anyone from B&N, or is it a statement made based on anecdotal observation.

No malice intended in my direct question; I just would like to turn my radio back on with certainty that I will not "excommunicate" my 4GB card.  Thanks. 

No I can't cite a source for that statement.

What I did do is connect to my home WiFi and "check for new B&N content", a procedure that has always in the past downloaded an update if one was available, and received no update.

My experience agrees with yours, I can't get the pushed download either. I have two units and can hazard one for testing purposes.

Version 1.6 is still available for manual download but since I have an 8 gig MicroSD card I'd just as soon wait for the fix or not have it pushed at all.

I really am astounded that this got past regression testing, it almost makes it appear that there WAS no regression testing.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

The problem with all the speculation is that it IS speculation.  B&N need to tell users what they're getting and why.  We shouldn't be wondering or hoping or guessing, we should KNOW.

Inspired Correspondent
OPDwife
0 Kudos

Is there any more info on the system update?  I still have not received the update automatically and my wifi is on 24/7.  Also, is it still causing problems and is it still being rolled out automatically?

When I get a little money I buy books, if any is left, I buy food and clothes
Inspired Correspondent
OPDwife
0 Kudos

Someone please answer my questions above  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

No, yes for people who downloaded it and BN won't say.

Contributor
Leontd
0 Kudos

Ah, so they want us - their customers - to prognosticate what the update is about, ignoring the professionalism of Barns and Noble Repetition. It is quite ambivalent to follow.

Inspired Correspondent
OPDwife
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

No, yes for people who downloaded it and BN won't say.

Thank you.  At least I know I didn't miss something somehow!

Distinguished Wordsmith
spec

OPDwife wrote:

Is there any more info on the system update?  I still have not received the update automatically and my wifi is on 24/7.  Also, is it still causing problems and is it still being rolled out automatically?

I believe B&N stopped pushing it manually, but you can still install it manually per instructions from this page: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook1-support-software-updates/379002707/

Except for broken support for SDHC cards seems like lawyers did more work on this update then programmers, so I would advise to wait for the fix, it it ever comes (or get on with life and forget about 1.6.0 for now).

Contributor
narret
0 Kudos

All my documents are still not visible over a week later.  I have decided to not purchase ANYTHING from B&N until they fix this problem. 

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

narret wrote:

All my documents are still not visible over a week later.  I have decided to not purchase ANYTHING from B&N until they fix this problem. 

OK - your loss.

Have you at least READ the posts in this thread about simply copying your files to the internal memory until the software is fixed?  A temporary fix but workable . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Contributor
Victor3000
0 Kudos

Well, skip a day of reading my Nook and look what happens! It looks like I missed the update, but will keep my eye open for the fix! 

*Insert Signature Here*
Contributor
narret
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Why is it my loss?  I can  and have purchased ebooks from a other stores.  The protest of not buying anything from B&N until they fix the problem is B&N's loss not mine.  Yes I have READ the workarounds and applied them to get to my documents.  I really appreciate the help I get from this board, it seems those who post here know much more then B&N.   But I still am not going to purchase anything from B&N until they fix my NOOK. They broke it and they need to correct the problem. Have a good day.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

narret wrote:

Why is it my loss?  I can  and have purchased ebooks from a other stores.  The protest of not buying anything from B&N until they fix the problem is B&N's loss not mine.  Yes I have READ the workarounds and applied them to get to my documents.  I really appreciate the help I get from this board, it seems those who post here know much more then B&N.   But I still am not going to purchase anything from B&N until they fix my NOOK. They broke it and they need to correct the problem. Have a good day.

I don't see anything wrong with this philosophy.  In fact, I kind of like it.  Narret is not screaming for cash compensation or threatening to sell his nook, or swearing to never do business with B&N again.

I vote with my wallet all the time.

Inspired Contributor
incognito88
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

From my reading here I know the update/fix/changes that are supposed to be coming with the next update are reportedly going to be "invisible" to us.

Does anyone else think it would be nice to know, invisible or not, what the changes will entail?

Do any of you good people have an inkling?

1.6 was supposed to be invisible too but it had some negative, visible ramifications for quite a few people from what I have read.

What would be the harm in letting us know?

I hope B&N doesn't think we're too dense to understand.

an explanation, technical as it may be.

As far as I can see, there are a lot of bright people hereabouts. I may be too dumb to comprehend these changes. But I'm sure one of you will be able to "translate" what were told into plain English.

GetLostInABook

I hope that 1.7 has release notes.  I've never gotten an update automatically (My router settings perhaps?)  To me, it has been easier to just side load the updates then figure out the problem - and with this last update it saved me a headache.

When 1.7 comes out I'd like to know what is in it - is it worth loading the update?  or should I stay on 1.5 for the life of the nook?

Jadjuka
0 Kudos

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

Out of curiosity, has anyone with an SD card larger than 2GB gotten the download and NOT had a problem? 

Sam, any progress on a fix?

LisaB

I have a 16GB SD card and so far running the latest patch with no problems what so ever. So this is a surprise to me to see people saying that they can't see their files on their card after they've side loaded them. 

I guess I got lucky. ^^; Maybe it depends on the brand of the SD card??? I'm using a brand called Lexar. 

Contributor
neach
0 Kudos

The 1.6 update is still coming down.  And it's the only sideloaded update available on the web site?

How do I know that it's coming down?  I just got it about a half hour ago.  Lost all access to the 8 GB SD Card...

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

neach wrote:

The 1.6 update is still coming down.  And it's the only sideloaded update available on the web site?

How do I know that it's coming down?  I just got it about a half hour ago.  Lost all access to the 8 GB SD Card...

Did you sideload it, neach? I'm curious because Sam posted earlier that B&N wasn't pushing it until the issue was fixed.

Edit: I just noticed this post on Mobileread:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139914