Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine

[N1E]: 1.6 Update

Hi all-

We have started to roll out the NOOK 1st Edition v1.6 software update. NOOK 1st Edition v1.6 includes minor system updates. The minor system updates are internal only.  The device will continue to function as it has before with no visible change.

We don’t anticipate any further updates at this time.

--Sam

Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E]: 1.6 Update

Thank you, Sam!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos
Correspondent
dave47

[ Edited ]

Stand down Yellow alert.

Will release notes for 1.6 be published so we can read what the changes, however minor, were?

And thanks for the update Sam.

When you get to a fork in the road --- take it.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

Thanks Sam!

PBReilley
0 Kudos

Thanks, Sam!

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

And since BN anticipates no further updates, we can kill the 1.6 wish list since apparently none of it will make it into 1.6

Contributor
JamesOcean

Sam failed to mention it will wipe out your "My Documents" directory and your ability to see files on your SD card.  Oh -- and it will lock up your Nook to the point you need to un-register and re-register it. 

What a fun afternoon -- and now I need to hook up my Nook and put all my files back on, especially the PDFs I use for work.

Deleting data on a customer's device is an epic software failure.

Scribe
frantastk

JamesOcean wrote:

Sam failed to mention it will wipe out your "My Documents" directory and your ability to see files on your SD card.  Oh -- and it will lock up your Nook to the point you need to un-register and re-register it. 

What a fun afternoon -- and now I need to hook up my Nook and put all my files back on, especially the PDFs I use for work.

Deleting data on a customer's device is an epic software failure.

My Documents are all still there and my nook did not lock up at all. So apparently this isn't happening everyone. There are some people reporting that their nook can no longer read the files on the SD card. The files are still there, though, so no user information/files were lost.

Inspired Contributor
Tomas_46

Data being made inaccessible to the device is still not a "good" thing, expecially for those who are "in the field" and the Nook is their only source for that data.

Very poor form, B&N. The update should be pulled until this obvious error can be analysed and corrected.

Tom

Tomas - University Place, WA
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Tomas_46 wrote:

Data being made inaccessible to the device is still not a "good" thing, expecially for those who are "in the field" and the Nook is their only source for that data.

Nobody said it was, but I don't think it's fair to crucify anyone - company, representative or consumer for something that didn't actually happen.

Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

So, basically, there's no real reason to upgrade to 1.6 if it causes so many problems and there are no future upgrades. I guess if you want upgrades, you should buy a nook color or the new B&W nook tablet.  Sigh ...

northlite
0 Kudos

Mine didn't even ask...as soon as I turned on wifi to get the book I had just bought (I shop on the computer, not on the Nook) it updated without asking so don't turn on wifi until they fix this. It can't read my card, which has all my sideloaded books on it.
My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

northlite wrote:
Mine didn't even ask...as soon as I turned on wifi to get the book I had just bought (I shop on the computer, not on the Nook) it updated without asking so don't turn on wifi until they fix this. It can't read my card, which has all my sideloaded books on it.

Huh. I'm still on 1.5 and I've turned off airplane mode to update my library probably five times this week (including twice today). I've updated my computer a few times this week, too. No automatic update.

DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

My Nook tells me that I have an update, but errors out when I try to update.

Correspondent
dave47
0 Kudos

I have a relatively new N1E purchased in Jan 2011.  Started with 1.5.0.  I have not received the "you've got an update" message after turning on wi-fi, checking for new content (several times), restarting (cold and warm).

Maybe there are different flavors of hardware and/or software that may or may not be "eligible" for the 1.6 update.

Whatever.

I see the support web page now has the 1.6 stuff.  Clicking on what's new, one sees "minor update".  Thanks for the details.   :smileywink:

Oh well, I think I'll go read now.  That's why I bought the thing in the first place.    

When you get to a fork in the road --- take it.
Nook_Engineer
0 Kudos

Our engineers are investigating the issues that people are seeing with the 1.6 update.

If you're seeing a problem after the 1.6 update, can you help us with a bit more information about the problem?

1. What size is your microSD card?

2. What is the brand of the card?
3. What size does Settings report your microSD card as being?

4. How many MB of books do you have on the card?

5. How many individual books do you have on the card?

6. What other types of files do you have on the card?

7. Does performing a "Check for new content" while in Library/My Documents help anything?

We do know that after booting up, the NOOK will need to rescan the microSD card. If you have a large number of files on the card, the scan can take quite long (in some cases 30+ minutes). During the period that the device is scanning, it will display "No Items" in the library for "My Documents". Occasionally the popup dialog that tells you that a scan is going on will not display.

Reminder: If you remove your microSD card, you'll need to reboot your device after reinserting it.

Thanks for your help,

-Jeffrey

NOOK Program Management

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Viktornka wrote:

Thank you, Sam!

Nallia wrote:

Thank you, Sam.

Conniecats wrote:

Thanks Sam!

PBReilley wrote:

Thanks, Sam!

Pardon me, would someone kindly tell me where the "Thanks Sam" line begins? I mean the one where you say nothing at all but, "Thanks Sam."

It's wonderful to see people treating Sam, who is our Community Manager, with such courtesy and extreme deference.

I, for one, will strive to extend such courtesy and deference to all board members.

Oh, look! There's the line. Right over there.

***Without order there is chaos.
Without some degree of chaos there will be no change in the established order.
Sometimes change is necessary, but only if I say it is.***
Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

Thanks Sam.

***Without order there is chaos.
Without some degree of chaos there will be no change in the established order.
Sometimes change is necessary, but only if I say it is.***
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Answering in a more appropriate place. :smileywink:

Nook_Engineer wrote:

1. What size is your microSD card?   4GB

2. What is the brand of the card?    Transcend 4GB micro SD HC
3. What size does Settings report your microSD card as being?

242.11 MB

4. How many MB of books do you have on the card?  

per NOOK:  83.06 MB      per Windows Explorer:   276 MB

5. How many individual books do you have on the card?  265

(all epub; most are non-DRMed)

6. What other types of files do you have on the card?  None

7. Does performing a "Check for new content" while in Library/My Documents help anything?  No

If it matters, this is a N1E Wifi, serial number 100403004XXXXXXX .

All sideloaded content, including DRMed was "Sent to Device" from Calibre.  Currently running 0.8.4 but I started using it somewhere in the .7.Xs. 

All files are present and viewable on SD card in Windows Explorer and Calibre.

(I actually PMed with Sam most of this info, so you probably already have it.)